A good simple CMS for Freeway 7?

Hi Walter,
I have a page on my website that is for used boats. I would like to have it so that the salesmen can add the boat images into graphic boxes that I would create on that page, also the descriptions need to be editable.
I downloaded the action already but in order for it to work do I need to first sign up for the Silver plan? (Only the salesman would need to edit the page). Do I then need to upload the site first in order to see the action work? In the action window in Freeway it shows: Data Source with a box next to it with ‘item 2’ (or item 8) & Formatting with a drop down menu with these 4 choices: Plain Text, Markdown, WYSIWYG & Raw Markup. I don’t see anywhere to ‘mark individual items as “editable”’.
Sorry if this is a stupid inquiry but I only use Freeway for our own business’s website and only recently have we decided that it would be best for the salesman to be able to edit the used boat page himself so I’m not that familiar with how CMS works.
Thank you in advance for any help!
Misty

On 24 Oct 2014, 4:03 pm, waltd wrote:

The way that Inlay works is this: you make a page (or pages) in Freeway that you upload to your server. In the Freeway interface, you use the Inlay Action to mark individual elements as “editable”. When you use the Inlay control panel (at the server) to scan your site, the Inlay server finds any page you have marked with the Action, and shows it to you in your control panel. There, you can edit the variable parts right in the browser, and any changes you make are seen by your site visitors the next time they view that page.

Now, if you’ve gone through all of this work for one page, you can simply duplicate it for another page. Inlay calls these “virtual” pages, and there is no limit to the number of those you can make based on a single template.

If you change your layout later in Freeway, and want the template to look different, you simply log into Inlay, update the templates, and all of your pages are now using the new layout. (As long as you didn’t change the names of any of the variable elements, you won’t need to update the individual pages at all.)

The base level account ($5/month) allows for you and one editor (your client) to access the site and change as many pages as you like.

Walter

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

On Jun 14, 2017, at 3:53 PM, Misty Ann email@hidden wrote:

Hi Walter,
I have a page on my website that is for used boats. I would like to have it so that the salesmen can add the boat images into graphic boxes that I would create on that page, also the descriptions need to be editable.

Inlay cannot upload images by itself. If your salesman can upload the photos somewhere public (Dropbox, Google Drive, Flickr, …) then you can do exactly what you want. You would apply the Action to an HTML box, the salesman would use either the Markdown or WYSIWYG editor on that box to insert images (paste in the URL to the image into the Image dialog from either of those editors) and the caption (just type the text). It would be up to you to create a CSS style that forces the images to fit into the page, regardless how large they really are.

I downloaded the action already but in order for it to work do I need to first sign up for the Silver plan?

Yes. You sign up for the plan, enter the actual URL to your site (the system uses it to create your site key), download the client software (which is specific to this site), upload that to your server (and rename the .htaccess file), and then if you upload your templates to the server, you can finish the setup.

http://docs.inlay.io/setup.html

(Only the salesman would need to edit the page). Do I then need to upload the site first in order to see the action work? In the action window in Freeway it shows: Data Source with a box next to it with ‘item 2’ (or item 8) & Formatting with a drop down menu with these 4 choices: Plain Text, Markdown, WYSIWYG & Raw Markup. I don’t see anywhere to ‘mark individual items as “editable”’.

Applying the Action to an HTML element on the page marks it as editable. You cannot apply the Action to graphics. You can also insert an inline Inlay element by getting a text cursor (in an HTML box) and choosing Insert / Action Item / Inlay into the stream of text.

Sorry if this is a stupid inquiry but I only use Freeway for our own business’s website and only recently have we decided that it would be best for the salesman to be able to edit the used boat page himself so I’m not that familiar with how CMS works.

There are no stupid questions.

Walter

Thank you in advance for any help!
Misty

On 24 Oct 2014, 4:03 pm, waltd wrote:

The way that Inlay works is this: you make a page (or pages) in Freeway that you upload to your server. In the Freeway interface, you use the Inlay Action to mark individual elements as “editable”. When you use the Inlay control panel (at the server) to scan your site, the Inlay server finds any page you have marked with the Action, and shows it to you in your control panel. There, you can edit the variable parts right in the browser, and any changes you make are seen by your site visitors the next time they view that page.

Now, if you’ve gone through all of this work for one page, you can simply duplicate it for another page. Inlay calls these “virtual” pages, and there is no limit to the number of those you can make based on a single template.

If you change your layout later in Freeway, and want the template to look different, you simply log into Inlay, update the templates, and all of your pages are now using the new layout. (As long as you didn’t change the names of any of the variable elements, you won’t need to update the individual pages at all.)

The base level account ($5/month) allows for you and one editor (your client) to access the site and change as many pages as you like.

Walter

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options