Absolute links

I’m using Pulse CMS for a blog, when you click on the blog post it open a new window but the graphics are stripped out. I know it’s the way that FW creates the links to the Resources folder but how can I make images links absolute. Here’s the page and to see what happens click in the Sample Blog post title goo.gl/gbjnm

Cheers, Marcel


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

The Remote Resources Action can solve this for you. It’s either on the
Forge, or on Tim’s site.

Walter

On Apr 8, 2011, at 4:32 PM, Helveticus wrote:

I’m using Pulse CMS for a blog, when you click on the blog post it
open a new window but the graphics are stripped out. I know it’s the
way that FW creates the links to the Resources folder but how can I
make images links absolute. Here’s the page and to see what happens
click in the Sample Blog post title goo.gl/gbjnm

Cheers, Marcel


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Walt thanks I have forgotten about the Remote Resources action - used it a long time ago. Great so it’s pulling my graphic files but not the page background image and a background image I have in the wrapper div. How do I get these images to show up.


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

First, file a bug with Tim about the background-images. Not sure why
those wouldn’t be treated equally, unless you’re maybe using External
Stylesheets in your Document Setup. If that’s the case, then there’s
nothing he can do for you – the external styles aren’t available to
any Action for rewriting.

But you may be able to fix this another way. First, remove RR from the
page. Then look at the page online, and look at the URL of the page.
If you see http://www.example.com/foo/bar/baz.html then copy just
the part up to but not including the page filename. Do include the
trailing slash, so you should have http://www.example.com/foo/bar/
in your clipboard.

Back in Freeway, open the Page / HTML Markup dialog, and move to the
After Head section. Type in the following, pasting in the URL you
copied where noted:

<base href="pasteURLhere" />

(Note, if you’re not using XHTML, leave off the trailing slash before
the closing angle-bracket, as you don’t need to self-close tags like
this, and you’ll get a bunch of errors from the validator if you put
it there.)

Now upload your site again and see how it looks. One thing to realize
– just like Remote Resources, this will really mess with your local
previewing, so be forewarned when the whole site looks funny if you
preview on your Mac but haven’t uploaded to the live server in a while.

Walter

On Apr 8, 2011, at 5:20 PM, Helveticus wrote:

Walt thanks I have forgotten about the Remote Resources action -
used it a long time ago. Great so it’s pulling my graphic files but
not the page background image and a background image I have in the
wrapper div. How do I get these images to show up.


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

The other thing that might be upsetting this is if you are using separate Resource folders.

This page appears to be referencing images from more than 1 Resource folder so using a Common Resource folder might do the trick.

David


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Dave thanks, I switched back to Common Resources, it’s still playing up. Another thing I have noticed is that my nav link on the left is not pointing back to the correct page either. I have an email in to Tim to see if he can cast some light.

Marcel


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Your page is looking for files/pages in

http://www.sheaberry.com/blog/1/Resources
and
http://www.sheaberry.com/blog/1/

I suppose you could use upload stuff to get them there but it doesn’t sort the nav links which are also pointing into the blog/1/ folder.

You could use full paths on the links on your Master for these just now.

D


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

/blog/1 is not one of my FW pages it appears that Pulse creates that when you click on the blog post title in the /blog.php page.


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Aha. Then if you make a base tag, make it for the actual path, not the
virtual path. This is a common problem when you use “synthetic” URLs
like this, and it’s very simple to fix. On the page in Freeway which
is becoming your Pulse template, add this line of code:

<base href="http://sheaberry.com/" />

Ideally , you want this to appear as near the top of the output HTML/
PHP code as possible, but still inside the HEAD tag. Ignore all the
rest of the URL, as you say, those are being created by the Pulse
system. If that doesn’t work, then try adding the blog/ folder to the
base. It’s not clear to me whether you have Pulse everywhere, or just
in the blog section.

Walter

On Apr 9, 2011, at 10:39 AM, Helveticus wrote:

/blog/1 is not one of my FW pages it appears that Pulse creates that
when you click on the blog post title in the /blog.php page.


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Walt thanks that did the trick - I only use Pulse for the blog part.

Much appreciated

Marcel


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options