Are Actions a thing of the past

Damn fair question, isn’t it?

Me is the one who indeed doesn’t care at “fancy funky” actions anymore. This is more reasoned by the “mess” an action does with structure and code. It places stuff wildly in the resources folder (js, css and images) which is basically not up to my convenience. Furthermore, it places lines of code in the head or body part (naturally) where I want to stay as clean as possible.

Another (even more) significant point is, that “function” related actions are mostly written on a library, that one could call (if he wants to do so) antique static (to avoid outdated or even obsolete). Namely Prototype and Scriptaculous. The new and fancy stuff is mostly based on jQuery (library). Mixing both is highly risky cause they both do not really like each other.

It’s not to be expected, that actions as we are used to use will be re-written to jQuery cause the mess would be incredible - and this audience is not able to handle the whether/or question. Another significant point is, that new and fancy actions usually requires inflow-construction. Another point this audience will fail. And as the final question:

“Who decides, which function (of those zillions) to choose?”

Restructuring the forge is not a question of version number (they still work in higher versions as they did in lower ones), it’s a question of attitude and understanding.

So here I’d indeed say - yes. Actions like those are a relict of the past.

But it should be noted as well, that I’m not working action-free. I do use actions but more the one that are really fun and helpful. Mainly DOM manipulating things like “ID removing” “class adding” “turning into HTML5 item” “commenting”, a list that can be extended. Those are my “fancy” actions and I never get tired to thank the genius guys out there having them created once a day.

So here, actions are still the life and timesaver, cause those actions are influencing the “publishing” process.

I’m currently working on “introducing” a bunch of different stuff in a Freeway document which I expect my future starting point for projects. I sometimes can think of actions, but honestly i’m much quicker these days without.

And another point is:

Even if I ask action developers for assistance (or a quote) I left usually either partial answered or even entirely ignored at all. I do have ideas - but perhaps I’m the unwanted one.

So all I can recommend is:

Get used to structure (HTML), prettifying (CSS) and functionality (JavaScript) adding them by hand - especially when you want to work profit oriented. It’s simply your job. A designer isn’t needed anymore.

Cheers

Thomas

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at: