Are Actions a thing of the past

Hi Kevin,

let me try to answer you directly:

####does there really need to be so many boxes?

Not necessarily! Thousand ways to skin the cat.

TheGrid follows two things: The constraints in Freeways’ workspace and the “must have” boxes for web design. But it works.

Had a recent talk to another subscriber. It was a nice talk. He simply adopted this method and called it “Sam Go”. He even created a nice PDF A3 poster pinning this in view of his desk. He understood, that this is just an approach of understanding different roles a “wrapping” item can have:

1. Section! It is the one allowing you to have 100% stretch across the page (99.9% of web designers are keen on this)

2. Area! We’re switching the “page-width” off. So we need this page-width back. Wether in percent or in max-width doesn’t matter. Needed? I think so - yes.

3. Module! Module is tricky, indeed. The way it’s built, it ensures equal distances between left and right - and in between the cols. This examples shows what I mean: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8231701/cdn-digitalmedia-themes/theGridMaterialz/boxeswithshadow.html
    It is designers’ choice and decision.

4. Grid Nothing fancy. 2 or 3 or 4 columns? That’s theGrid. Nothing else

5. Object is content mostly - or content wrapper.

I’m pretty convinced of shorter ways to construct your page. This is MY approach - not THE approach at all. And it’s kind of mimic Bootstrap framework.

But with my method you’re sure having a three Grid keeping 33.33% and not running numbers like 31.078% and you even do not need any action for “correcting” weird widths into very “weird” things in the output. And it ensures to have most (if not all)

Once understood - and I’m telling this as well - you’re free to start your own Grid. I am under the impression, that I explained the whys in each single step. More than once. What is so hard to simply doing it that way, trying a couple of things out? Sorting out the bad things and keeping the good ones?

And there we are:

You try to design in Freeway. This is WRONG!!! The design happens elsewhere and is ready to go before you open Freeway the first time. If you don’t understand this, you’ve got no business in there. Freeway is just the construction-tool - not the designing tool (anymore).

Cheers

Thomas

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at: