Blog support?

Does/will x-way have an easy way to make a blog page? Currently, Freeway links easily to blogspot, so thats what I have done. But in future, this is an important feature, if X-way can do it.
Also, can/will Xway support user registrations? At present, I have to use a third party to do that.

Steve

Both of these features require server-side support, and Xway (and Freeway) are static site generators. They write HTML, and don’t directly create the server-side code (Ruby, PHP, Python) that you would need, as well as a database structure (MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQLite) to save the variable data.

While you could use either of these applications to create a blog, it would be a hard slog of work, since unlike a true dynamic Web application built for that purpose, you would have to maintain all the next/previous links yourself, manually. Any comments would have to come from a third-party system, like Disqus.

User registration (and security to keep out the unregistered) would likewise require programming and server-side support, both of which are not a part of the core offering. You can (with a lot of hand-work) use your hosting provider’s cPanel to simulate this, but you can’t do what a true content-management system can do natively: serve unique content to each registered user. Instead, what you can do is to restrict access to a portion of your site, and create one or more user/password keys manually, which you then distribute to individuals, either on a unique or shared basis.

Walter

On Feb 24, 2020, at 7:41 AM, email@hidden wrote:

Does/will x-way have an easy way to make a blog page? Currently, Freeway links easily to blogspot, so thats what I have done. But in future, this is an important feature, if X-way can do it.
Also, can/will Xway support user registrations? At present, I have to use a third party to do that.

Steve

Ok, thanks for the reply. Currently I can use my Freeway design to show up in Blogspot - is Xway the same?

Hi Steve,

Adding to Walter’s comments:

1. Blogs

Xway doesn’t currently have support for creating Blogspot (or Wordpress) templates.

The next beta version of Xway (b2) will allow you to add iframes (without having to use markup items to do this). So you could use an iframe to display Blogspot (or Wordpress) content.

1. User registrations

If you are using a third-party Action to support user registrations in Freeway, I think you could probably do the same thing in Xway by adding markup in the form of scripts and markup items.

Jeremy

You could do that. The thing is – any blogspot-specific code that is being added through an Action would have to be replicated. At the moment, we don’t have access to Actions in Xway, so you’d have to make those changes and additions manually, with a text editor. This means you would have to make these changes after EVERY edit. Actions automate this process, to a degree, so that whatever changes they are designed to make are replicated after every publish cycle. Freeway itself has no idea these changes are happening – it’s all done after Freeway is finished (more or less) converting your page design into HTML.

Walter

On Feb 24, 2020, at 8:07 AM, email@hidden wrote:

Ok, thanks for the reply. Currently I can use my Freeway design to show up in Blogspot - is Xway the same?