carousel action jumps

I have finished a website I was working, which basically is one page with different carousel panes. It looks great, but I realized that when I move from pane to another it doesn’t slide so smooth as I wanted and there’s a little jump in it which bothers me a little. Is there a way or a markup code I could add to make it smoother or it’s the way it is?

Many thanks in advance,
Marcus

the link of the website is:
http://www.sunshinedoorsspecialists.com/home.html


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

It seems to be happening while the page is loading, but after the page
has completely loaded, everything is fine. IIt takes 33.9 seconds to
initially load the page over my full T1 line, and then the
ScriptyFader starts shoe-horning more images into the page. It’s quite
a large load. You’ve built an impressive page, one which leverages the
look (and sound) of a sliding door to sell sliding doors. But it’s
quite portly in its current form. Maybe you might want to put most of
the elements on separate pages, then simply use the Carousel to do the
slide show. (With fewer hero images.) Take a look at the total page
size in Freeway; use the gear menu at the bottom of the Site pane and
enable Show file sizes. I think you’ll be shocked.

Walter

On Apr 5, 2011, at 7:11 PM, Marcus Do Carmo wrote:

I have finished a website I was working, which basically is one page
with different carousel panes. It looks great, but I realized that
when I move from pane to another it doesn’t slide so smooth as I
wanted and there’s a little jump in it which bothers me a little. Is
there a way or a markup code I could add to make it smoother or it’s
the way it is?

Many thanks in advance,
Marcus

the link of the website is:
http://www.sunshinedoorsspecialists.com/home.html


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Hi Walter,

on Freeway it says 2,723,407.
I know it’s big, but Did you say 33.9 seconds??
On my computer I deleted the cache and history of the page on Firefox it took just 5 seconds to load and I don’t have T1.

best,
Marcus


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

T1 is not all that fast. 1.5Mbs up and down. What I pay beaucoup for
is the stability and the fact that the phone company will dig a trench
to my house and put a new wire in it in the middle of the night if
anything happens. After two summers in a row with nearly a month of
downtime because of flaky ADSL over Hoover administration-era phone
lines, I figure it’s cheap at twice the price.

Also, speed depends a lot on the entire path from the server to my
machine. If your server is in another part of the world, then that
could make the transit time worse for me and better for you, depending
on where you are. And if you have a fiber optic connection, or some
overheated cable connection and no neighbors, then you could have a
serious advantage.

But large parts of the world still browse over 56K modems or similar,
or over cranky ISDN lines. Broadband is not ubiquitous yet. Some of
those people might want to buy a sliding door.

Walter

PS: You might want to enable Firebug and look in its Net tab to watch
the individual files loading. I saw the bones of the home page in 5
seconds, too, but there were vast rest-of-the-icebergs of data loading
below that surface, and Safari’s Web Inspector showed me a timeline
listing the hundreds of resources that make up your page and its
scripts.

On Apr 5, 2011, at 8:40 PM, Marcus Do Carmo wrote:

Hi Walter,

on Freeway it says 2,723,407.
I know it’s big, but Did you say 33.9 seconds??
On my computer I deleted the cache and history of the page on
Firefox it took just 5 seconds to load and I don’t have T1.

best,
Marcus


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Thanks, Walter!
I knew the T1 was a more estable then ADSL but really thought was faster…

I thank you, Walter, all the suggestion for making this page load faster. I can’t change the layout or navigation now, putting the elements in different pages and using the carousel just for the gallery, but can change other things such as to reduce the amount of images to load. There are also many little images like the titles, separator lines and other small things that are independent png or gif files that I could group them together in Photoshop and it would be less images to load too.

On the other hand on the menu navigation where I have the tabs like buttons, they’re rollovers and also represent more images. If I changed it and used CSS menu instead, with the same look it would be less images to load?

best,

Marcus


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Curiously, the jump effect is more visible in Firefox. Almost nothing in Safari or Chrome.

I know most of the world are still running on 56K, but fortunately this company are serving only local customers, for repair, and don’t sell it worldwide…

:slight_smile:

best,
M


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Walter, another quick question:
What about this thread back in 2007:
http://freewaytalk.net/thread/view/12373#m_12373
Would that be a better option for this website instead of using the carousel or it wouldn’t matter?
You also added a nice link here: smooth scrolling

best,
Marcus


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

The Smooth Scrolling (and there’s an Action for that) only works on
the vertical axis, so that wouldn’t be a good replacement. Plus it
wouldn’t change anything at all, it’s more or less precisely the same
effect, modulo the axis of animation. The issue is that there are so
many (large) images packed into the Carousel, and they all compete for
bandwidth during the initial page load. What would help here is if
Carousel could be lazy-loading, like the ScriptyFader effect. I’ve
tried to do that in the past, but there are a lot of complexities that
I haven’t worked around.

Walter

On Apr 6, 2011, at 2:07 AM, Marcus Do Carmo wrote:

Walter, another quick question:
What about this thread back in 2007:
http://freewaytalk.net/thread/view/12373#m_12373
Would that be a better option for this website instead of using the
carousel or it wouldn’t matter?
You also added a nice link here: smooth scrolling

best,
Marcus


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Walter, thank you.
I’m going to reduce the size of the images grouping them together with the panes background, instead on having many separated little files. I will also considering to eliminate the gallery on third pane and let the pictures with no effect. It might help.

Many thanks Walter!
Marcus

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 6, 2011, at 7:59 AM, Walter Lee Davis email@hidden wrote:

The Smooth Scrolling (and there’s an Action for that) only works on the vertical axis, so that wouldn’t be a good replacement. Plus it wouldn’t change anything at all, it’s more or less precisely the same effect, modulo the axis of animation. The issue is that there are so many (large) images packed into the Carousel, and they all compete for bandwidth during the initial page load. What would help here is if Carousel could be lazy-loading, like the ScriptyFader effect. I’ve tried to do that in the past, but there are a lot of complexities that I haven’t worked around.

Walter

On Apr 6, 2011, at 2:07 AM, Marcus Do Carmo wrote:

Walter, another quick question:
What about this thread back in 2007:
http://freewaytalk.net/thread/view/12373#m_12373
Would that be a better option for this website instead of using the carousel or it wouldn’t matter?
You also added a nice link here: smooth scrolling

best,
Marcus


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options