Couple of bugs

Here are a couple of bugs I’ve come across while playing with Xway:

1. Select the “Soft” in “Softpress” (as you would in any text editor). Xway now displays two additional Inspectors: the first is the Link Inspector (which we’ll ignore for now) and the second is the Span Inspector. The Span Inspector allows you to change the style of inline text runs (spans). Choose Bolder from the Weight popup, sdo that “Soft” is displayed in a bolder font weight. Then select “press” in “Softpress” and choose Lighter from the Weight popup. This creates a branding effect that matches our “Softpress” logo.

“press” isn’t lighter in Xway though it is in a browser

Xway:

Screen Shot 2019-11-12 at 1.04.27 PM.jpg

Browser:

Screen Shot 2019-11-12 at 1.05.41 PM.jpg

Can’t copy text styles from one box to another. The copied style appears briefly, then unstyled shows up.

Can’t simply cut and paste a page element.

MacOS interface issue: doesn’t show dot in red circle when unsaved, just “edited” in title bar.

Also, text boxes don’t resize when the page width is reduced, though images do.

Here’s an example: https://www.blue-iceberg.com/clients/xwaytest/ When I resize the page, the logo changes size but the text box remains fixed width. Is this a setting I have to change?

OK, if I leave the Dimensions > Width undefined the text box resizes. I have to set the right margin to make it indent and it works fine on my laptop. However it doesn’t resize automatically on my iPhone. How does one set it to automatically resize on a smartphone screen? Thanks.

Hi Richard,

Just focusing on the one I can answer right at this moment:

MacOS interface issue: doesn’t show dot in red circle when unsaved, just “edited” in title bar.

Under Catalina, whether or not this dot will appear is controlled by whether or not you will be asked to save when closing a document with unsaved changes. I feel like this was also true under Mojave but I’m not completely certain about that.

You can find the setting in System Preferences > General > Ask to keep changes when closing documents. Note that to see the change in dot behaviour, you’ll need to close and reopen the document after changing the setting.

Essentially that dot is synonymous to an ellipsis in a menu: “doing this will prompt you about something.”

Simon

Thanks Simon. This seems to be automatic in other apps. In Pages, for example, if I open a document (or create a new one) and make a change, the dot appears. I know it’s a nit but thought it should be reported.

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the feedback!

1. Select the “Soft” in “Softpress” (as you would in any text editor). Xway now displays two additional Inspectors: the first is the Link Inspector (which we’ll ignore for now) and the second is the Span Inspector. The Span Inspector allows you to change the style of inline text runs (spans). Choose Bolder from the Weight popup, sdo that “Soft” is displayed in a bolder font weight. Then select “press” in “Softpress” and choose Lighter from the Weight popup. This creates a branding effect that matches our “Softpress” logo.

“press” isn’t lighter in Xway though it is in a browser

It is lighter for me (in Xway and in browsers) - but this might depend on various factors including what fonts you are using. Xway asks the Cocoa font manager for a lighter weight, and it’s up to the Cocoa font manager to provide a lighter weight if one is available. It’s possible that different browsers will display slightly different weights - there isn’t an agreed mapping between CSS font weights and Apple font weights.

Generally, where font weights are concerned, you can normally assume that bold and regular fonts are available, but finer distinctions might not be available for all fonts.

Can’t copy text styles from one box to another. The copied style appears briefly, then unstyled shows up.

Can’t simply cut and paste a page element.

This is functionality that we haven’t implemented yet. The Xway User Guide (page 27) says:

“Xway currently has limited support for copying and pasting, but you can paste text into boxes. Pasted text is imported as plain text.”

Xway doesn’t do anything special to hide or show this dot: it’s really under the control of macOS. On my system (I’m currently running Mojave) Xway behaves identically to Apple applications such as Pages, and follows the behaviour that Simon described: there is a dot if a document is edited and “Ask to keep changes when closing documents” is turned on in General System Preferences, but there isn’t a dot if the document hasn’t been changed (since it was last saved) or “Ask to keep changes” is turned off.

Jeremy

On 18 Dec 2019, at 18:59, Jeremy Hughes email@hidden wrote:

Xway doesn’t do anything special to hide or show this dot: it’s really under the control of macOS. On my system (I’m currently running Mojave) Xway behaves identically to Apple applications such as Pages, and follows the behaviour that Simon described: there is a dot if a document is edited and “Ask to keep changes when closing documents” is turned on in General System Preferences, but there isn’t a dot if the document hasn’t been changed (since it was last saved) or “Ask to keep changes” is turned off.

The “Ask to save changes” preference is also slightly confusing because it depends on whether you are editing a new document or an existing document:

1. If you are editing a new document, macOS always asks if you want to “keep this new document” regardless of whether you have “Ask to save changes” turned on or off.

2. If you are editing an existing document, macOS asks if you want to “save the changes” if you have “Ask to save changes” turned on, but saves them automatically if you have “Ask to save changes” turned off.

There don’t seem to be any differences (on my system) between Xway’s behaviour and the behaviour of Apple applications (e.g. TextEdit and Pages), however this preference is set.

Personally, I prefer to have “Ask to save changes” turned on.

Jeremy

Hi Richard,

Also, text boxes don’t resize when the page width is reduced, though images do.

Here’s an example: https://www.blue-iceberg.com/clients/xwaytest/ When I resize the page, the logo changes size but the text box remains fixed width. Is this a setting I have to change?

I think you’ve answered this question in your follow-up email: the text box (“article1”) on your page is fixed width because you’ve given it a fixed width of 650 px.

You can test whether a page is flexible from within Xway: if you make the Layout view wider or narrower (by dragging the divider between the Site panel and Layout view, or between the Inspector panel and Layout view), Xway will redraw the page to fit within that size.

However it doesn’t resize automatically on my iPhone. How does one set it to automatically resize on a smartphone screen?

Can you provide an example link? Pages and boxes should automatically resize on any device if they are flexible (no fixed widths).

Jeremy