Creating an Email Address-Not on the Server

I am going 'round and 'round on this with someone who is supposed to be taking over a website from me. I’m starting to be afraid. He created an email address for RSVPing to an event. He didn’t create the email on the server as a forwarder or as POP account. He just simply typed in the email address on the web page and linked it to the mailto. I told him that wasn’t going to cut it and he has now sent me several emails telling me how it does indeed work.

He said: “We set it up as a mailto: link and in Windows, IE, it launches the local mail (Outlook) and that does the mailing.”

I said, “Any mailto: link will launch your email application. That doesn’t mean anything. Your email application doesn’t know what is and what isn’t a valid email address. Your email may have appeared to have been sent, because that’s what email applications do. But as long as there is no actual email address set up on the server, it does nothing.”

He said: “Actually, the mailto: set up did work. We tested it and she got the email. We may be suffering from a caching issue.”

Am I crazy, or is he? If anyone can just type in an email address, link it, and use it, there would be utter chaos with domains being used … I can’t even think about it. He has to be wrong. He is a Windows user, after all.

Robin Stark

He may not be wrong.

It is possible that the server is set up to forward ‘default’ messages, those sent to any undeclared mailbox, to a main email account. If this were the case, then any mail ending in @thatDomain.com would end up as received (again, if it were not routed to another genuine email account).

Typically the setting is to redirect unknown emails to ‘null’ which delivers them to ‘file 13’. Most webmasters have no clue about all the detritus that bombards their email servers to addresses that don’t exist.

Either this is a new domain that has not been harvested and spammed yet, or there are some heavy-duty spam filters at work here. Regardless, they should probably set up some genuine email accounts.

offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

If that’s the only way, then he is crazy, because I’m the one who set up all the email accounts/forwarders on the server two years ago (about 100 of them) and I have it set so that all unrouted messages fail and are automatically deleted.

Thank you for your response. I was beginning to think I had missed a whole chapter on Email 101.

On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 2:53 PM, Weaver <email@hidden> wrote:

He may not be wrong.

It is possible that the server is set up to forward ‘default’ messages, those sent to any undeclared mailbox, to a main email account. If this were the case, then any mail ending in @thatDomain.com would end up as received (again, if it were not routed to another genuine email account).

Typically the setting is to redirect unknown emails to ‘null’ which delivers them to ‘file 13’. Most webmasters have no clue about all the detritus that bombards their email servers to addresses that don’t exist.

Either this is a new domain that has not been harvested and spammed yet, or there are some heavy-duty spam filters at work here. Regardless, they should probably set up some genuine email accounts.

offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Robin Stark
Web Flunky
www.webflunky.com

Instant Messaging:
GoogleTalk: email@hidden
iChat: email@hidden