Database of my music

I’m trying to understand databases and how they work with Freeway. I tried doing some searches in this forum, but the questions and answers seemed more complex than what I’m doing.

For example, let’s say I have 100 songs and I want to have a searchable database on the web where the web-user could search by title of song, artist, album, or genre. Can I create a simple server side database that a Freeway-created webpage could access via some simple search window(s)?

Thanks in advance, David


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Yes - PHP and MySql together will allow you to do this. Most decent servers/hosting accounts provide you with a MySql database (and PHP) and there are various actions for Pro that help with the interaction between your FW pages through PHP to connect to the database.

Can I create a simple server side database

Usually done through PHPMyAdmin (or similar) in your hosting account. Create a database on your Mac first then use PHPMyAdmin to import the data into a correctly configured MySql database.

Then you can use the actions to access the database. There used to be some tutorials on this but I can’t seem to find them just now.

And get a good book on the subject too.

David


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Thanks, can you name any of the actions that are commonly used in Freeway to make the interaction occur?

Thanks, David


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Here’s a big list of them:

http://www.actionsforge.com/projects/view/84-php-actions

and another:

http://www.actionsforge.com/tags/view/10-php

There’s more, but these will get you started.

Walter

On Oct 12, 2009, at 8:17 PM, David wrote:

Thanks, can you name any of the actions that are commonly used in
Freeway to make the interaction occur?

Thanks, David


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Hi David,

I have some working example of Freeway with a MySQL database if you
are interested, these example do not use actions to connect to the
database but hand written code, if interested these can be found at:

http://easibase.com/freeway/phpmysql.php

HTH

On Oct 13, 2009, at 1:20 AM, David wrote:

I’m trying to understand databases and how they work with Freeway.
I tried doing some searches in this forum, but the questions and
answers seemed more complex than what I’m doing.

For example, let’s say I have 100 songs and I want to have a
searchable database on the web where the web-user could search by
title of song, artist, album, or genre. Can I create a simple
server side database that a Freeway-created webpage could access via
some simple search window(s)?


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

BTW, the examples 4, 5 and 6 on the link I sent through should show
you more or less what you are looking for.

On Oct 13, 2009, at 9:00 AM, Mike B wrote:

Hi David,

I have some working example of Freeway with a MySQL database if you
are interested, these example do not use actions to connect to the
database but hand written code, if interested these can be found at:

http://easibase.com/freeway/phpmysql.php


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options