Disappearing app

Hi, As a former Freeway user I downloaded Xway out of curiosity. The devs should note that after unzipping the downloaded app file, I moved Xway to the applications folder … and it promptly disappeared. It is there, as it won’t let me do it again without a “duplicate item” warning. Fully aware this is a beta!

Hi William,

That sounds very strange, but it seems more like a Finder issue than an Xway issue - especially if you haven’t actually run Xway yet.

If you’re getting a duplicate item warning when you try to copy it a second time, Xway must already be in the Applications folder.

What you could do is to choose “Sort by Name” from the Finder’s View menu, and then look through your applications in alphabetical order (near the end if you don’t reverse the order).

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy

The “find by name” was the first thing I did. Not there. I’ve never had this problem with another app.

I’ve now ditched Xway but good luck in your venture. Softpress Freeway was a good app.

Will

PastedGraphic-12.tiff

On 14 Jul 2021, at 20:22, Jeremy Hughes <email@hidden> wrote:

Hi William,

That sounds very strange, but it seems more like a Finder issue than an Xway issue - especially if you haven’t actually run Xway yet.

If you’re getting a duplicate item warning when you try to copy it a second time, Xway must already be in the Applications folder.

What you could do is to choose “Sort by Name” from the Finder’s View menu, and then look through your applications in alphabetical order (near the end if you don’t reverse the order).

Jeremy

Hi William,

Xway (like any other application) doesn’t actually do anything until you run it. If it isn’t visible, that’s the Finder’s (and system’s) responsibility.

Another way you could try to locate it is to open the Applications folder and choose Find from the bottom of the File menu. Type “Xway” in the search bar and click on “Applications” next to “Search: This Mac”.

If that doesn’t work, it might be worth running Disk Utility to see if you have any kind of disk problems.

Jeremy

I concur: this kind of problem is a Finder one. There is no easy way for an app to vanish on its own, and even then that would require the software to have been run. (And the software to have been designed to do this!)

Nobody likes to hear this, but please, please make sure you have an up to date backup of your data and then go check the integrity of your hard drive.

You can use Terminal to list everything in a folder including invisible items. I can’t imagine why Xway would be invisible, but when faced with a mystery it’s good to check all bases…

1. Open Terminal
  2. Type cd /Applications and hit the Return key. This tells Terminal to look inside your Applications folder.
  3. Type ls -a and hit the Return key. This lists all items in the current folder including invisible ones. If you use -1a instead of -a it forces the output to be shown one item per line; that may be easier to browse.