Embedding video

I am having a truly miserable time trying to embed a video.

The video is on another server (could be youtube/ revver or blip.tv).

The embed code can look like this:

However I want the size of the video to be say 308 x 215 to fit a page area, so I change those width and height parameters.

If i embed this code by using ‘insert html item’ in FWY, I get a mess. The embedded player covers/ overlaps other items on my page most specifically at the bottom of the player whether. I have tried this using youtube and blip.tv.

Am I embedding incorredctly. Shouldn’t this be simple?

I have css and layers turned on and FWY 5


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

You should insert that code in a markup (Insert>Markup Item) inside an HTML box, not into an HTML box.


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Yup done that - sorry if I didn’t explain that well. Unfortunately the box expands somewhat below the dimensions set when the page is published and obscures the content directly below.


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Well, I guess I don’t know the answer, but I did just look at video.
Hee heeeeeeee …


Robin Stark

On Dec 21, 2008, at 4:58 PM, John-Paul Kernot wrote:

Yup done that - sorry if I didn’t explain that well. Unfortunately
the box expands somewhat below the dimensions set when the page is
published and obscures the content directly below.


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Actually, I do have your video displaying in a test page I set up:

http://webflunky.com/TEST/FW/

I changed your file size to 480 and 295 and changed allowfullsceen to
false.


Robin Stark

On Dec 21, 2008, at 4:58 PM, John-Paul Kernot wrote:

Yup done that - sorry if I didn’t explain that well. Unfortunately
the box expands somewhat below the dimensions set when the page is
published and obscures the content directly below.


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Thanks Robin. I can get to that point. Unfortunately if you add content [I have both html text and gif] directly below the box containing the video you will see that it is obscured by a blank ‘ghost’ box extending down below the viewable video.

I have tried this using 4 different hosting sites and the result is the same.


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

What is the URL? I don’t see it posted. Just want to have a look.


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

You can download the Freeway file here.

http://drop.io/iqm4ert


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

I’m not seeing a “ghost box” in Firefox, OmniWeb or Safari. Here is a
screenshot of what I’m seeing:

http://webflunky.com/TEST/vidissue/screenshot_14.jpg

It looks fine, except for maybe the alignment under the red box. I
wish somebody else would pop in here. I always start answering a
question and get in over my head. I’m just not seeing any thing that
shouldn’t be there. Can’t be a caching issue if you’ve tried it on
four servers. Does the screenshot look close to what you are going
for? I didn’t have the font you used.


Robin Stark

On Dec 21, 2008, at 6:31 PM, John-Paul Kernot wrote:

You can download the Freeway file here.

Home Water Management System and Conservation Products


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Interesting. The two pictures at bottom right are covered on publish by an extension of the box that the video sits in. That is, on my Mac!


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

and even stranger … it was a brand new freeway file. hmm


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

I’ve just taken a look and I didn’t get any double image effect.

I did see that the width and height specified in the markup code was
different from the width and height of the markup item itself. This
isn’t massively important as that just defines the size of the div
the markup code lives in, but it will be a little misleading when you
work with your page layout.

Rather than shrinking the box to the stated size of the movie, why
not enlarge the movie to the size you want? Your box is currently
299x250 pixels - change the width and height in both the object and
embed tags in that code to be that rather than 247x205. (Actually, it
should be more like 299x245 to match the movie’s ratio.) This way the
movie will fill your box, fitting your design a little better and
looking a little easier to see on the page.

I’d also recommend nudging it and the red bar upwards so the movie’d
bottom aligns with the bottom of the large image to its left.

But no - all works well here.

k


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

insert that code in a markup (Insert>Markup Item) inside an HTML box

You can put the markup item box directly on the page - it doesn’t
need to live inside another box.

k


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Thanks everybody.

Unfortunately what I layout is this:
http://drop.io/iqm4ert/asset/picture18

What I can preview is this:
http://drop.io/iqm4ert/asset/picture19

I even made a whole new file:
http://drop.io/iqm4ert/asset/fwy

So I am going to do a reboot of the mac and see what happens.


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Unfortunately what I layout is this:
Home Water Management System and Conservation Products

What I can preview is this:
Home Water Management System and Conservation Products

John-Paul,

I don’t see what the problem is, other than two of your thumbnail
graphics don’t appear to be published in the preview example. I don’t
think this can be because of the markup item. And when I try both of
your example Freeway documents I don’t see any missing items at all.

k


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Hi John-Paul,

I think I may know what the problem here is after working on the FLV
Player Action in Freeway. The video you are displaying has been
created at a standard size (4:3 by the looks of things) with a little
extra at the bottom for the player. It looks like the space you have
available for the movie is more or less 4:3 (299*223) but the extra
space at the bottom is throwing it off. Try increasing the height in
the markup by 20px (so 243) and previewing it.

This will make the width and height of the movie exactly right for the
space provided but the player will be 20px longer than the image on
the left so you could either make the movie 20px taler or move it down
by 20px.

I hope this helps.

Joe

On 22 Dec 2008, at 10:23, John-Paul Kernot wrote:

Thanks everybody.

Unfortunately what I layout is this:
Home Water Management System and Conservation Products

What I can preview is this:
Home Water Management System and Conservation Products

I even made a whole new file:
Home Water Management System and Conservation Products

So I am going to do a reboot of the mac and see what happens.


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Oh sorry I think I misunderstood the problem. When I preview your file
it’s absolutely fine. The images below the movie are visible. Could
you try removing the sharpen Action from them to see if that’s causing
the problem.

Joe

On 22 Dec 2008, at 10:51, Joe Billings wrote:

Hi John-Paul,

I think I may know what the problem here is after working on the FLV
Player Action in Freeway. The video you are displaying has been
created at a standard size (4:3 by the looks of things) with a
little extra at the bottom for the player. It looks like the space
you have available for the movie is more or less 4:3 (299*223) but
the extra space at the bottom is throwing it off. Try increasing the
height in the markup by 20px (so 243) and previewing it.

This will make the width and height of the movie exactly right for
the space provided but the player will be 20px longer than the image
on the left so you could either make the movie 20px taler or move it
down by 20px.

I hope this helps.

Joe

On 22 Dec 2008, at 10:23, John-Paul Kernot wrote:

Thanks everybody.

Unfortunately what I layout is this:
Home Water Management System and Conservation Products

What I can preview is this:
Home Water Management System and Conservation Products

I even made a whole new file:
Home Water Management System and Conservation Products

So I am going to do a reboot of the mac and see what happens.


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

This is your file, unchanged other than the dimensions of the movie
were increased:

http://users.softpress.com/joe/jpk/

Joe

On 22 Dec 2008, at 10:55, Joe Billings wrote:

Oh sorry I think I misunderstood the problem. When I preview your
file it’s absolutely fine. The images below the movie are visible.
Could you try removing the sharpen Action from them to see if that’s
causing the problem.

Joe

On 22 Dec 2008, at 10:51, Joe Billings wrote:

Hi John-Paul,

I think I may know what the problem here is after working on the
FLV Player Action in Freeway. The video you are displaying has been
created at a standard size (4:3 by the looks of things) with a
little extra at the bottom for the player. It looks like the space
you have available for the movie is more or less 4:3 (299*223) but
the extra space at the bottom is throwing it off. Try increasing
the height in the markup by 20px (so 243) and previewing it.

This will make the width and height of the movie exactly right for
the space provided but the player will be 20px longer than the
image on the left so you could either make the movie 20px taler or
move it down by 20px.

I hope this helps.

Joe

On 22 Dec 2008, at 10:23, John-Paul Kernot wrote:

Thanks everybody.

Unfortunately what I layout is this:
Home Water Management System and Conservation Products

What I can preview is this:
Home Water Management System and Conservation Products

I even made a whole new file:
Home Water Management System and Conservation Products

So I am going to do a reboot of the mac and see what happens.


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Hi,

Rebooted and tidied up with no change in final outcome

I also get this error message but am not sure if it has anything to do with the final rendering.

http://drop.io/iqm4ert/asset/picture24

http://drop.io/iqm4ert/asset/picture25


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Rebooted and tidied up with no change in final outcome

I’m still not sure precisely what the problem actually is! Could you
describe it again?

I also get this error message

The error message is actually a security message. This is because
you’re loading the web page is local (on your own hard disk) but the
Flash content is trying to access content that is not local (i.e.
online). This is a standard Flash security concern. Click Settings
and add your site folder to the list of trusted locations. That
should cure it. This won’t happen when it is viewed online.

k


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options