[Express] Find targets & target groups problems

waltd, thanks for your reply to my previous post. I don’t want to use a Flash gallery, I’ve looked at Weaver’s Fading Slideshow and I don’t want to use that either. I need to use crude simple methods, hopefully based on what’s built into Freeway Exp, for reasons too tedious to go into.

So, if anyone can help me interpret the manual to make this work I’d be very grateful. Apologies for the long post.

The FW manual says (quote): Find Targets determines the frameset frame where the action should find targets… the code can be told to start its search from the top (the frameset), parent (the frameset that wraps directly around this page, or this (simply within the page itself).

It then says: “Can be used for example, to set a rollover button in one frame which activates a target rollover in another frame”. OK, methinks, sounds like this will do what I need…

First quibble with Find Targets: top (the frameset) I understand.

Parent (the frameset that wraps directly around this page… NO, I don’t get this. In my experience a frame within a frameset is what wraps directly around a page. Not the whole frameset. So is this “frameset that wraps directly around this page…” an error in the manual, or ???

“this” (simply within the page itself) sounds like the target is the page that contains the rollover action within the frame that contains this same page, which is not what I want at all. I want the target as a different frame that loads a different page (actually an image on a different page, and that different page loads into a different frame of the frameset).

I’ll describe what I tried, and failed to get to work. I assumed that “parent” actually means the frame that wraps directly around a page, so that “parent” is the correct choice for me. I must admit I don’t understand why, having named the frameset and each of the the frames, Freeway doesn’t recognise my names and allow me to choose the correct target frame from the action palette.

First my frameset: it has two frames: a narrow left one that scrolls (thumbframe), a wide right one (contentframe).

thumbframe loads a page with thumb images vertically, and this frame scrolls. contentframe loads a page with a stack of large images.

As far as I can see I should be able to use a rollover on a thumb image to Find Targets in the page that loads into contentframe. I should be able to define a target in the stack of images on the content page (like No.1 image).

Or I should be able to define a group of images on the content page, number the images in the group, define this as a target group, and activate an image by its number in the group.

I can’t get either method to work. I’ve named a group, but when I set parameters for the rollover all I see are default group names (Indigo etc). My group name doesn’t appear so I can’t select it as the target.

It seems to me the intent to do this stuff is built into the actions. But the means to achieve it is … obscure.

So, can anyone direct me to tutorial(s) on these issues, or provide advice a bit more specific than the manual?

Cheers
Ken

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

I would try using the Action first on a non-framed page. Frames have
so many other issues as to make them a user-hostile choice in the
first place. The problems they solve can be easily managed by
judicious use of Master Pages, so you really don’t need to use them
unless the content you are framing in is not your own.

If you use the Action on (within) a single page, you can later add
that page to a frameset if you really want to. The effect will
continue to work, because each page in a frameset believes it has the
browser to itself.

Walter

On May 13, 2009, at 8:43 AM, Ken apthorpe wrote:

waltd, thanks for your reply to my previous post. I don’t want to
use a Flash gallery, I’ve looked at Weaver’s Fading Slideshow and I
don’t want to use that either. I need to use crude simple methods,
hopefully based on what’s built into Freeway Exp, for reasons too
tedious to go into.

So, if anyone can help me interpret the manual to make this work I’d
be very grateful. Apologies for the long post.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Walter

Thanks, I’ll give single page a go. I still don’t get the manual instructions, lack of clear definitions about top, parent, this, inability to recognise named frames, etc…

However these are Freeway issues, not yours. Thanks for the advice.

Ken

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden