[Express] Is Freeway Express dead?

It’s been awhile since I’ve use Freeway Express, and I’m wondering if it is no longer being supported? Also, with the new mac OS High Sierra changing from 32 bit to 64 bit, will Freeway Express run on it?

Thanks!

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

Freeway Express was made “free” a while back, and with that new-found freedom came community-only support. I don’t believe the application is going to be updated in any way.

Freeway (the pro product, formerly just named Freeway before Express was introduced) is compatible with Sierra, and while I am certain it contains plenty of 32-bit-only code (code that could not simply be recompiled with a software “switch” set to 64-bit and be just fine), that should not stop it from running in High Sierra. While iOS 11 has a hard requirement for 64-bit applications, High Sierra is just beginning that transition.

According to 9-5 Mac:

With macOS High Sierra, Apple has finally begun the transition to drop support for 32-bit apps as well. Apple has reportedly already asked developers to submit 64-bit versions that will be required as a mandate in 2018. From January next year, all new apps must support 64-bit, and from June onwards, this rule will apply to app updates as well. The developers have been told that macOS High Sierra will be the last version to support 32-bit apps.

Furthermore, Freeway is currently being re-written in the modern macOS Cocoa framework in the brand-new Swift programming language. This was announced a number of months ago, and aside from that tidbit (extremely tantalizing since it means multiple-undo and a host of other modern goodies are virtually guaranteed), we don’t have any sort of timetable for when that effort will be complete, what the price will be when it’s done, or even base document compatibility (will you be able to open existing Freeway/Express documents with it?).

I’m excited to see what comes next for Freeway, and hope you will consider upgrading to Freeway 7 as a medium-term solution. You will find that it’s a fairly familiar application which will open your existing Express documents, and just gives you way more control over the finished product. Whenever you’re ready to learn more, you will find that where Express offered a bunch of canned solutions, you will have direct controls with sensible defaults.

Walter

On Sep 23, 2017, at 1:21 PM, John email@hidden wrote:

It’s been awhile since I’ve use Freeway Express, and I’m wondering if it is no longer being supported? Also, with the new mac OS High Sierra changing from 32 bit to 64 bit, will Freeway Express run on it?

Thanks!

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

Thank you Walt!

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden