External CSS

When rewriting a site last updated in Freeway 7.1.4 I noticed that Freeway, without any conscious effort on my part (I must have pushed the button), had made extensive use of external CSS stylesheets. With XWay, everything seems to be internal and the CSS folder on the server will be defunct. Have external CSS sheets gone for ever, or might they come back at some point? If I really wanted them, I could do this in less than a minute by importing the site to another program and pressing a button, but I would have to do this every time I updated in XWay. Second question, does “Use Master CSS Markup” automatically make use of what is shown as “Master Default Style”?

1. We haven’t implemented external stylesheets yet. They haven’t gone forever.

2. “Use Master CSS Markup” and “Use Master Default Style” are different options, affecting CSS markup (in the first case) and the selected default style (in the second). Note that in the second case, turning on Use Master Default Style will only affect the currently selected default style. A good way to find answers to this kind of question is to open the User Guide (select “Xway User Guide” from the Help menu) and then search for what you are interested in: “Use Master Default Style” (including quotes) in this case.

[CSS markup is additional markup for CSS features that Xway doesn’t currently support or know about.]

Jeremy

Many thanks for the pointer. The answer seems to be that, if using a non-publishing template to produce the other pages, “Use Master Default Style” is best left unchecked.

Hi John,

If you’ve changed a default style on a template page, then you wouldn’t want to turn on “Use Master Default Style” for the style you changed (because it would reset it back to the master default style).

Jeremy

On 7 May 2020, at 15:17, John Whittaker email@hidden wrote:

Many thanks for the pointer. The answer seems to be that, if using a non-publishing template to produce the other pages, “Use Master Default Style” is best left unchecked.