Fin

JDW: thanks for the thoughtful response.

I too got used to FW for the box model which was responsive enough, at least for screen size, long before breakpoints. But Sparkle appears to do all of that intuitively in a desktop publishing way, with none of the myriad settings such as Fixed% width, Clear, Float. It even allows overlapping elements easily.

As for whether you can accomplish the same in Sparkle, see here:

Also built-in are Google fonts, Analytics, Multiple Undo, Styles that don’t create erroneous Style1 &c., “Master” elements that appear on each page or section, and much more. The UI is even in one window which I always wanted out of FW—which works like any other native Mac app in split screen, and IMPORTANTLY supports File/Revert to previous versions.

I too was shocked and sad at the news. I’m grateful, in a way, for the how FW made me work at understanding the web (but never code!) and my first thought was I might have to give up designing new web site. But, like Ern, its demise has come as a blessing in disguise as I morph into a more user-friendly world. As someone once said: the operation was a success but the patient died.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at: