Fin

One of the things I, like many others will be doing, is to see what’s out there, and clearly RapidWeaver will be on one of the applications to look at. So it’s good that Joe W has joined - we need as much information as we can get about what tools will allow us to evolve and move forward.

It does seem that RapidWeaver and Freeway are very different beasts. From the off, Freeway was born out of the ashes of Unicorn - a DTP application, which explains why it is and why it behaves like it does. The concept of templates is really an anathema -Freeway always, always works best when you start with a blank page and start drawing elements on the page.

RapidWeaver, from what I can glean, takes the opposite approach. It uses templates, and lets the user customise them to a certain degree. It seems that you can’t just start with a blank document and draw an element on a page. Its behaviour appears to be more like iWeb - when content is preordained, and you work within constraints.

Now, I’ve been trying to see what I can find out about RapidWeaver, and to be honest seeing how things work helps. I found a website - http://rapidweavercommunity.com/tutorials - which may contain what I need to help me determine how RapidWeaver works, and how I could potentially use it in my web work (which can involve a lot of PHP and database driven content) but anything beyond the basics seems to require a subscription.

So not sure at the moment - possibly RW is just not for me. It’s certainly very basic, but are its limitations just too great for me?

As James said, Serif are doing some great things with Affinity - in fact, I’ve pretty much dropped Adobe for their products. When I saw their responsive demonstration that James mention,d that really did make me think that they had the basis of a responsive web design application there - and their interface and tools are really familiar, so it won’t be starting from scratch. I really believe that now the decks are clear (as it were), they could easily repurpose their DTP app to build web pages. I’d certainly be there taking a very keen interest of they were.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at: