font transfer

I can’t transfer fonts from my old OS9 mac to my new OSX one - the network (via crossover cable) won’t work, the OSX machine just won’t see the old mac. I can’t waste any more time trying to get it to work (I’ve read and followed all the instructions at Apple and other sites), and I’m pretty p—ed off that such a fancy OS can’t see another Mac when it’s plugged in.

So I banged the fonts onto a flash pen drive and tried to transfer them that way…NOPE! When plugged into the OSX machine the fonts are not recognisable, having become, apparently, Unix Executable Files! Great…

Seriously p—ed off with OSX in general - over the last three months I’d say my work rate has dropped by 30-50% due to programme slowness, saving times, font issues, and other incompatibilities. Considering chucking it and going back to OS9 wholesale. Nice looking interface, but way too much messing about.

Hugh

ps. if anyone has AvantGarde fonts…? desperately needed!


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Hugh:

Amazingly, I am facing the same issue with a client that sent along
their fonts for an ad I need to create but they are still on OS 9 and
my OS X won’t recognize them! Found converter but it’s $180US and I
won’t be paying that, that’s for sure… Looking for other
suggestions as well…

Best Regards,
James Wilkinson

Print and Web Design Services
Visit: http://www.dzynlab.com

Website Hosting Services
Visit: http://www.have-host.com

On Jan-22-08, at 9:23 AM, hugh wrote:

I can’t transfer fonts from my old OS9 mac to my new OSX one - the
network (via crossover cable) won’t work, the OSX machine just
won’t see the old mac. I can’t waste any more time trying to get it
to work (I’ve read and followed all the instructions at Apple and
other sites), and I’m pretty p—ed off that such a fancy OS can’t
see another Mac when it’s plugged in.

So I banged the fonts onto a flash pen drive and tried to transfer
them that way…NOPE! When plugged into the OSX machine the fonts
are not recognisable, having become, apparently, Unix Executable
Files! Great…

Seriously p—ed off with OSX in general - over the last three
months I’d say my work rate has dropped by 30-50% due to programme
slowness, saving times, font issues, and other incompatibilities.
Considering chucking it and going back to OS9 wholesale. Nice
looking interface, but way too much messing about.

Hugh

ps. if anyone has AvantGarde fonts…? desperately needed!


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

on 22/1/08 14:28, James Wilkinson at email@hidden wrote:

Hugh:

Amazingly, I am facing the same issue with a client that sent along
their fonts for an ad I need to create but they are still on OS 9 and
my OS X won’t recognize them! Found converter but it’s $180US and I
won’t be paying that, that’s for sure… Looking for other
suggestions as well…

I use or used PostScript fonts exclusively, most of which originated from
the days of OS9, where I used Suitcase … now I really like the new Adobe
Open Type Fonts [.OTF] and use them whenever I can, they have many more
characters available. There are quite a lot that ship with Creative Suite

I still use Suitcase, but the latest Suitcase Fusion, it has read all but
the odd corrupted font which I was able to resurrect from a tape backup.

Suitcase F also ships with Font Doctor, great for diagnosing and fixing some
font problems.

I use Suitcase on all the Macs here to manage an unsightly pile of unruly
fonts.

Read more about them here:

Suitcase Fusion:
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/1536
Font doctor:
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/13339

Best wishes Peter

================================
Peter Tucker, Oxford UK email@hidden


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

On 22 Jan 2008, at 14:23, hugh wrote:

So I banged the fonts onto a flash pen drive and tried to transfer
them that way…NOPE! When plugged into the OSX machine the fonts
are not recognisable, having become, apparently, Unix Executable
Files! Great…

I had this recently. It’s because OS9 uses resource forks and data
forks, which OSX can’t see, so it splits them into their component
atoms.

Use Stuffit to compress the fonts into an archive, preferably “zip”,
on the old Mac.

Transfer them to the new Mac, and use the free Stuffit Expander to
unstuff them. If you’ve “zipped” them, the OS will unstuff them for you.

That should work. I’ve been using the same fonts I had on OS9 since I
moved to OSX.

Stick with it, Hugh. OSX is far, far better than OS9. You’re
suffering culture shock, I’m afraid.

;o)

Heather


“Freeway - Web Design for All”


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Heather:

What do you do when you don’t have access to the originals in OS 9
though? The DID come all together in a .zip file and I did open it -
but still the fonts that did not have an extension on them, unlike
the .suit files - are being seen as Unix Executables. The .suit files
aren’t even being recognized! Not by Font Book or LinoType
FontXplorer X (which I simply adore, btw)…

Best Regards,
James Wilkinson

Print and Web Design Services
Visit: http://www.dzynlab.com

Website Hosting Services
Visit: http://www.have-host.com

On Jan-22-08, at 10:04 AM, Heather Kavanagh wrote:

On 22 Jan 2008, at 14:23, hugh wrote:

So I banged the fonts onto a flash pen drive and tried to transfer
them that way…NOPE! When plugged into the OSX machine the fonts
are not recognisable, having become, apparently, Unix Executable
Files! Great…

I had this recently. It’s because OS9 uses resource forks and data
forks, which OSX can’t see, so it splits them into their component
atoms.

Use Stuffit to compress the fonts into an archive, preferably “zip”,
on the old Mac.

Transfer them to the new Mac, and use the free Stuffit Expander to
unstuff them. If you’ve “zipped” them, the OS will unstuff them for
you.

That should work. I’ve been using the same fonts I had on OS9 since I
moved to OSX.

Stick with it, Hugh. OSX is far, far better than OS9. You’re
suffering culture shock, I’m afraid.

;o)

Heather


http://www.softpress.com

“Freeway - Web Design for All”


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

“Stick with it, Hugh. OSX is far, far better than OS9. You’re suffering culture shock, I’m afraid.”

I’ve got over the culture shock, Heather…I’m now just suffering from slowness and obstructive nonsense!

Due to the said font issue, yesterday I did a leaflet in Freehand 8 on OS9…waaaaay quicker than Freehand MX in OSX!!!

Sorry, no contest!

Hugh


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

On 22 Jan 2008, at 15:14, James Wilkinson wrote:

What do you do when you don’t have access to the originals in OS 9
though?

Well, new fonts (like the stuff Adobe supplies) are just copied to
the folder where I store my fonts.

Recently, I had to organise and prune a client’s font collection. The
only way I could do it was to copy them all to CD, transfer them to
an old Mac that ran OS9, merge the suitcases, sort and sift, renaming
as necessary, then transfer them back to the OSX machine.

Which is when I found the problem with the resource forks. Zipping
the files up solved the problem.

Where the files were on the old Mac (which could boot into OSX), OSX
seemed to read them perfectly happily. I think it was only a problem
when I transferred them to the USB thumb drive while booted in OS9.

I find the inability to edit font suitcase in the Finder under OSX a
bit of a pain. It’s the only reason I keep an OS9 capable Mac about
the place if I’m honest.

Heather


“Freeway - Web Design for All”


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Not sure you can blame OS X for the speed difference there, Hugh. I’m under the impression that Macromedia was never really up to the task of optimizing for OS X, and their efforts towards Freehand in the last few versions seem pretty lackluster.

That being said, if there are things that still work for you in OS 9, stick with them until you find a better way in OS X. Then you can have the best of both worlds. Personally, I don’t even know how to use OS 9 anymore. :lol:


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

I was like you Hugh, I hated OSX until Panther came out, then the OS
seemed to speed up a bit and I started to accept it. I would never go
back to OS9 now as I am very pleased with OSX in general and find it
way as fast as I like it… I must admit though, I do miss Freehand 8,
FH 8 did everything I needed and no FH after 8 did it for me but… I
don’t find Freehand slow on OSX.

One of the things that really helps OSX is RAM, basically as much as
you can afford I guess.

On Jan 22, 2008, at 4:22 PM, hugh wrote:

“Stick with it, Hugh. OSX is far, far better than OS9. You’re
suffering culture shock, I’m afraid.”

I’ve got over the culture shock, Heather…I’m now just suffering
from slowness and obstructive nonsense!

Due to the said font issue, yesterday I did a leaflet in Freehand 8
on OS9…waaaaay quicker than Freehand MX in OSX!!!

Sorry, no contest!


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

"Not sure you can blame OS X for the speed difference there, Hugh. "

Well, that may be so and it may not be OSX per se…but it’s symptomatic of what happens when I try to work in OSX!

My real-life experience is also that Photoshop 5.5 in OS9 is faster than Photoshop CS (8) in OSX. And also Freeway 3.5.6 is faster in OS9 than Freeway 3.5.15 Pro in OSX (where it labours to save and/or open action-rich pages).

This is real life, Joe, these are the results I get!

Hugh

(p.s. OSX is running on a G4 Dual 450, whereas OS9 is on a G4 350 Sawtooth)


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Heather has it!
the USB pen drives are usually FAT32 = MSDOS file format. This munges any
resource forks. So encapsulate them via zip or stuffit first.
No fault of Mac OSX here.

You could also have emailed them to yourself - or maybe used firewire disk
mode if you need wholesale access to stuff.

Did you try networking from the old Mac. One way used to work for me when I
did it but cant recall which.
May have required Appletalk on in Mac OSX - cant recall I’m afraid.

all the best
Brian

hugh said recently:

I can’t transfer fonts from my old OS9 mac to my new OSX one - the network
(via crossover cable) won’t work, the OSX machine just won’t see the old mac.
I can’t waste any more time trying to get it to work (I’ve read and followed
all the instructions at Apple and other sites), and I’m pretty p—ed off that
such a fancy OS can’t see another Mac when it’s plugged in.

So I banged the fonts onto a flash pen drive and tried to transfer them that
way…NOPE! When plugged into the OSX machine the fonts are not
recognisable, having become, apparently, Unix Executable Files! Great…

Seriously p—ed off with OSX in general - over the last three months I’d say
my work rate has dropped by 30-50% due to programme slowness, saving times,
font issues, and other incompatibilities. Considering chucking it and going
back to OS9 wholesale. Nice looking interface, but way too much messing about.

Hugh

ps. if anyone has AvantGarde fonts…? desperately needed!


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Hugh, I think your problem with OS X’s ‘slowness’ stems from your
machines, which, apart from memory limits, have a slower bus speed
than more recent Macs. OS 9 is not as processor intensive as OS X and
the older applications are slimmer, too. So until you upgrade the
hardware you won’t see the real world difference OS X does make.

OSA9 is probably right for you now, but there’s a much faster
experience ahead, as I found out even with a humble Intel Imac.

Colin

On 22 Jan 2008, at 15:49, hugh wrote:

"Not sure you can blame OS X for the speed difference there, Hugh. "

Well, that may be so and it may not be OSX per se…but it’s
symptomatic of what happens when I try to work in OSX!

My real-life experience is also that Photoshop 5.5 in OS9 is faster
than Photoshop CS (8) in OSX. And also Freeway 3.5.6 is faster in
OS9 than Freeway 3.5.15 Pro in OSX (where it labours to save and/or
open action-rich pages).

This is real life, Joe, these are the results I get!

Hugh

(p.s. OSX is running on a G4 Dual 450, whereas OS9 is on a G4 350
Sawtooth)


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Despite OXS having it firm followers is not for all. We had a PC user very interested in getting an intel iMac after seeing them working with us. And loving the features.

The machine was sent back after 5 days for two main reasons:

  1. He could not get it to print to a 15 years old serial laser printer…

  2. He could not copy or paste like like he could with a PC using right click…

:-0


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

On 22 Jan. 2008, 3:35 pm, dwn wrote:

Despite OXS having it firm followers is not for all. We had a PC user very interested in getting an intel iMac after seeing them working with us. And loving the features.

The machine was sent back after 5 days for two main reasons:

  1. He could not get it to print to a 15 years old serial laser printer…

  2. He could not copy or paste like like he could with a PC using right click…

:-0

Got to laugh at that one!!! However, I credit myself with a little more staying power…:wink:

Yes, I realise I’m not using cutting edge hardware by any means, but by how much do I have to ‘upgrade’ to get the same performance with OSX? If it’s a case of spending even £500 on RAM and a used-but-faster machine, just to stand still, forget it!! And more likely it will be £2000 because it WILL need to be faster and it WILL need to be future proof.

Anyway, never mind - I realise we live in an age where we are continually suckered into ‘the new model’. So I’ll either consciously decide to get suckered, or go back to OS9!

Thanks for the font transfer tips, will certainly try and zip them up first.

Hugh


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Erm… 2GB chip for an iMac G5 £24.99 ex. VAT

Try: http://www.crucial.com/uk/


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

On 22 Jan. 2008, 4:25 pm, dwn wrote:

Erm… 2GB chip for an iMac G5 £24.99 ex. VAT

Try: http://www.crucial.com/uk/

Erm…I haven’t got an iMac G5 - they’re £800 for starters.

:wink:


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

20" iMac G5’s are closing around £400-500 on ebay. And G4’s are cheaper which still run OSX 10.4 at reasonable speeds.

I know you don’t want to rush out and spend, and I appreciate OS 9 feels very snappy compared to OSX, but personally, I am now so much more productive in OSX (10.4.11). And you will be too when you give it chance.

I had the similar issues (not the fonts they came over via a firewire cable).

Would I go back to OS9? No way.

By the way what machine are you running OSX on?


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Hi DWN,

As mentioned earlier in the thread above, OSX is running on a G4 Dual 450, whereas OS9 is on a G4 350 Sawtooth.

Not the latest technology, granted. But in the Freeway 5 beta section of this forum someone is asking if they can run that on a G3 500 and being told yes!!!..and other people are saying old imacs are running 10.4.1 etc.

Of course we CAN go out and spend, spend, spend…but we shouldn’t have to. And I’m definitely not going to do so just to get the same performance out of OSX that I had out of OS9 on a very early G4!

You’re more productive in OSX, I’m less. Some win, some lose!


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

At the end of the day, Hugh, you will be more productive with MacOS X
and a more recent, (but not necessarily the latest), machine. By how
much, will depend on the way you work and the applications you use,
transfer across or buy, as well as the Tech. Spec.

You are right to go cautiously, but it is time to rescue that piggy
bank from under the stairs and make a positive plan for a future
upgrade. If not, for all your apparent speed, you may suddenly find
yourself well behind the field and the jump to make up lost ground
will then be even more formidable.

I didn’t hurry into OS X, but having made the move, I have no wish to
go back.

Colin

(Earlyish 2GHz Intel, 2GB RAM, 20" iMac and Leopard… and an old PC
(now… that… is… slow!) )

On 22 Jan 2008, at 18:43, hugh wrote:

Hi DWN,

As mentioned earlier in the thread above, OSX is running on a G4
Dual 450, whereas OS9 is on a G4 350 Sawtooth.

Not the latest technology, granted. But in the Freeway 5 beta
section of this forum someone is asking if they can run that on a G3
500 and being told yes!!!..and other people are saying old imacs
are running 10.4.1 etc.

Of course we CAN go out and spend, spend, spend…but we shouldn’t
have to. And I’m definitely not going to do so just to get the same
performance out of OSX that I had out of OS9 on a very early G4!

You’re more productive in OSX, I’m less. Some win, some lose!


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

“I didn’t hurry into OS X, but having made the move, I have no wish to go back.”

Appreciate all you say, Colin, much of which is good sense.

I didn’t hurry into OSX either, but having made the move I DO have a strong desire to go back!

There’s nothing here except vague (well meant) promises of improved performance which you (gradually) learn depends on having the latest software and the latest hardware. It’s all new caboodle and new bloated software (which is the last thing I need).

I’m hatching a plan to just install OS9 on the faster machine and move all the files over by firewire.

Then I’ll stick with that (tried and tested and working) setup, until the fairy godmother drops 5 grand in my lap and I can a) buy the new kit, b) buy the new software, and c) take a month off to learn and sort out the innumerable problems which I’ve encountered in…errr…'up’grading!

That might seem uber-regressive, but I will actually be turning stuff out faster than I am at the moment. The kind of work I do revolves around the basic functions of photoshop, freehand, quark, and freeway (mainly), and a reliable set of fonts. Plus a simple and quick distiller (a real distiller, not the ineffective print PDF function in OSX). Plus email and web browsing. And I can get all that from OS9 and existing software for some time to come. Heck, I might even buy some RAM…(steady, Hugh…)

!!!


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options