Form objects order messed up!?!

I’m creating a form with FW Pro 5 and I can’t figure out how to make text field be in an order.

For example: The first text field is selected. The user fills it out and clicks the [Tab] button, so the next text field will be selected.

This all seems very natural and simple, but in my form they are all mixed up, like field no. 1, then next is field no. 12, next no. 3… and so on.

Help?


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

There is a way to do this in the order you add the elements to your
form but I find the easy way to sort this is to use the ‘Tab Order’
action, apply it to each element and then select the order for tabbing.

HTH

On Jul 29, 2008, at 12:31 AM, Egill Fridbjarnarson wrote:

I’m creating a form with FW Pro 5 and I can’t figure out how to make
text field be in an order.

For example: The first text field is selected. The user fills it out
and clicks the [Tab] button, so the next text field will be selected.

This all seems very natural and simple, but in my form they are all
mixed up, like field no. 1, then next is field no. 12, next no. 3…
and so on.


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Thanks for a quick reply!

Now, I have gone to View > Tab Order, but that only shows me in which order they are! I can’t edit anything at all!
So, would I have to re-do every form object again, or what?


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

All that does is tell you the tab order, you need to download the ‘Tab
Order’ action and apply it to each element and then set the order in
the action.

On Jul 29, 2008, at 12:46 AM, Egill Fridbjarnarson wrote:

Thanks for a quick reply!

Now, I have gone to View > Tab Order, but that only shows me in
which order they are! I can’t edit anything at all!
So, would I have to re-do every form object again, or what?


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

What method are you using to lay out your form? If you use a table, I find that the fields will be in natural page order. (Across, then down, just as you would read the page.) If you lay out your form using another method, particularly if each form element is a separate layer, then you will need to show the individual page items in the Site panel, and drag each one up and down the list until you get things to work the way you expect. Forms “naturally” tab in document (code) order. So by influencing the order by either of these means, you will get a form that works the way you expect. You will also reap the additional benefit that your form will work for people using screen readers or other assistive technologies.

Walter


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Thank you very much Mike!
I downloaded the Tab Order action and now Tabing works!
But, when the form is submitted (I use Form2Email) it still is in messed up order. How can I change that?


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

I take it you mean when the form is sent to you the order you receive
the data in is not as the actual form layout?

I think you will find adding the elements to a table will send them
through in the top to bottom order, I haven’t checked but I think the
same will happen if you do not use layers.

HTH

On Jul 30, 2008, at 10:36 AM, Egill Fridbjarnarson wrote:

Thank you very much Mike!
I downloaded the Tab Order action and now Tabing works!
But, when the form is submitted (I use Form2Email) it still is in
messed up order. How can I change that?


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

I’m not quite following…

Has anyone got any ideas?


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Where are the form elements out of order? Is it in the data you get
back from the form? If so, what sort of handler are you using on the
server to marshall the form input, and how are you receiving it?

The tab order has no bearing at all on the order in which the form
elements will be sent by the browser to the server. If your form
handler just loops over the input and sends the result back to you,
then it will be in whatever order the browser sent it, which will be
the source order.

This is what several people in this thread (me included) have urged
you to fix before attempting to route around the tab-order side of
the problem.

If you make the source order of your form elements exactly the order
in which they should be filled in by the user, then you will get
rational tab-order for free and you will get the form elements
submitted to your handler in that order as well. Freeway makes this
pretty easy, just drag and drop the elements up and down the Site
pane when it is in Page view. Just get the fields in the desired
order top to bottom.

Walter

On Jul 31, 2008, at 3:43 PM, Egill Fridbjarnarson wrote:

I’m not quite following…

Has anyone got any ideas?


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Oh, OK I see it now. I just had to import an hidden tag named ‘order’ and enter the order. Thank you for being so patient to a stupid newb like me! :slight_smile:


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Oh, OK I see it now. I just had to import an hidden tag named ‘order’ and enter the order.

Is this something to do with your form handler? Or Freeway?

I’m confused.

Walter


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

This is something I did in Freeway’s Form Setup inspector, but which affected my form handler.
Nothing that you need to worry about!


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options