Freeway 7.1.4

Well - we do, somehow.

Certainly, the action doesn’t help you to “automate” anything. But it can be of help if it comes to put critical content (manually) to the head-Tag***.

Basically the best automator for putting critical css to the head is not using external style-sheets (such as you do at Kiramek). That’s fine - valid, nothing against. Problem fixed.

Just to clarify

The discussion about “critical css” in Freeway is weird - if not to say redundant. Point is, that critical content detection comes from DOM - or in other words: the sorting order of your elements.

Simple example: Footer

A footer is NOT critical cause it appears behind the fold - usually. The page has enough time to load once a user will see it. But 88% of Freeway generated pages are based on drop&drag. It may happen, that a footer visually appears at the bottom of the page, but in the DOM tree it is item No. 2 in hierarchy. A machine will detect it as “critical” - however it isn’t. So a straight forward and successful discussion starts with DOM, the outline of your page. It starts by “inflow construction” ensuring this proper outline.

One single long Style-sheet?

That’s what most pages do (so me btw.). Freeway doesn’t. Freeway generates, master pages given, three of them. So one long (and probably heavy) file is spreader into 3 smaller parts. Years ago, I saw a screencast in which Chris Coyier tried to figure out which concept loads faster. It ended up in no measurable difference.

###The action

I’m using it (mostly) for removing the ID and add a class of my liking. This enables me to hook styles from wherever easily. But as already said: It can as well turn this ID into a class (with exactly the same set of properties coming from Freeway) and print it into the head-Tag. And here is the thing I’m concerned:

If the action doesn’t work on master-items, it’s for the described scenario useless. Think of the nav-element. It’s both, critical content (mostly) and part of the master.css. So what?

But as said: Learning inflow first, discussing the result later.

Cheers

Thomas

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at: