Freeway Pro and Acorn image editor open crashes Freeway..

Hello everyone,

One small issue and a feature request.

Just found this bug a few weeks ago where Freeway disappears the instant i hit save or command-s BUT only if Acorn is open.

Don’t recall this happening on my other system though so could just be happening on my laptop.

Did a search but did not see this issue. My laptop has 2GB of memory but i don’t think that is the issue.

Thank You and Freeway is still my all time favorite editor since i started using editors in the early 90’s.

Feature Request:

An update with more control of CSS and being able to open freeway files after a page has been edited in a simple text editor would make the program perfect. I use HTML Snooper but it still would be nice to edit with a program like BBEdit.

Or implement some way to directly edit code in Freeway without plug ins. For that matter if you just got Freeway to work with BBEdit it would be nice as well.

Thanks.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

On Jan 3, 2012, at 9:23 AM, Becksley wrote:

being able to open freeway files after a page has been edited in a simple text editor would make the program perfect. I use HTML Snooper but it still would be nice to edit with a program like BBEdit.

Or implement some way to directly edit code in Freeway without plug ins. For that matter if you just got Freeway to work with BBEdit it would be nice as well.

Freeway doesn’t read or care about the HTML it writes, so changes made to the published code have no effect on the Freeway document file (the source for your layout). The only thing that Freeway will do if you edit its published code is recognize that it has been altered, consider it to be damaged, and replace it with a pristine – pre-change – version at the next publish. I learned this early and painfully in the Freeway 1 betas, and it has never changed, lo these many years. (It’s a feature, not a bug.) Think of the HTML as the paper that comes out of the printer after you lay out a page in QuarkXPress or InDesign – that’s exactly the level of remove we are talking about here. It’s an output-only process of dumbing down the design document to suit the limitations of the publishing medium.

That said, if you are curious about the HTML that Freeway publishes, or if you are using Freeway (as I do) to generate snippets of code to be inserted into a much larger hand-coded monstrosity, then you can do this simple hack: Define BBEdit as one of your “browsers”, using the File / Preview in Browser / Browser Setup sub-menu. BBEdit (or any text editor) will happily appear alongside Firefox and Safari and Chrome once you add it, so all you have to do is choose File / Preview in Browser / BBEdit to see the rendered HTML for your current page in Freeway.

Walter

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hi Walter,

Thanks for your time.

Freeway does write beautiful code, that is the main reason i use it. I have checked it a number of times and very happy with that part. I just want to use Freeway as a main editor that i can come back to after adding scripts that i hand code. What is the best way to go about this without breaking my Freeway file? I can use “HTML Markup” or “Sourcecode Snooper”, but are they reliable?

Either way hopefully in the future this will be part of Freeway. Then again maybe I am missing something and i understand it goes against the concept of Freeway with the “Master” pages. Really do like that idea. So any insight into that would be appreciated…adding code where i want to in a page. The program is close to perfect though so much more to expand on. Really like the “Showcase” galleries. Hope to see many new features in the future. I think Freeway has new owners too.

A hook into BBEdit would be incredible but not holding my breath on that. Of course once my site is basically completed in Freeway i then add scripts in another editor. But maybe someone can give me tips on how best to just use Freeway for ading the code. My understanding is source code snooper does not work on “Master” pages…is that correct? Now the problem there is sometimes i end up with code overlayed on top of code when i make too many changes so i just delete the items on the actual HTML page and select a blank master page to see what is left behind. Then i delete that and re-select the right master page. Dont know why that happens though. After that my source code snooper edits are missing is i cannot add the edits on the master page. Hope that is clear.

The other issue with the disappearing on save just happened with BBEdit and Freeway open together. Very strange but now i am pretty much convinced my system is acting up. Maybe runs out of RAM.

Anyway, sorry for the long post.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

On Jan 3, 2012, at 9:52 PM, Becksley wrote:

Hi Walter,

Thanks for your time.

Freeway does write beautiful code, that is the main reason i use it. I have checked it a number of times and very happy with that part. I just want to use Freeway as a main editor that i can come back to after adding scripts that i hand code. What is the best way to go about this without breaking my Freeway file? I can use “HTML Markup” or “Sourcecode Snooper”, but are they reliable?

Page / HTML Markup is built into Freeway, and it’s very reliable. This is one of the approved ways to hand-code a Freeway site.

Source Code Snooper is an amazing Action, but it is a bit of a hack (Tim would say the same, maybe not as kindly). Here’s why: within a Freeway document page, there is absolutely no HTML at all in any place. There is an object model describing the layout you have created in Freeway’s design view.

This model is fantastically high-resolution, since it is derived from what amounts to a PostScript page layout application. It is capable of sub-pixel resolution, even though HTML is not. It is capable of boolean geometry, merging and clipping non-rectangluar objects into a single element or slicing them apart, even though HTML knows only of rectangles and contiguous shapes. In short, it’s the difference between 70mm IMAX and watching a soap opera on your phone in the checkout lane.

Now in order to work its magic, Source Code Snooper has to wait until Freeway takes that enormous model and converts it into plain old HTML. Then it interrupts the publishing process and replaces whatever element you’ve applied it to (or the page) with whatever you have entered into its interface. So you can get out the tweezers and make very minute changes if you need to.

But the payment exacted for this power is that you are stuck with whatever you can code. Any further changes you make in the design interface to your modified element are ignored. If you change your design, you have to throw out your customization, let Freeway generate another round of HTML, then modify that to match your original intent, and finally publish with the combination of your code and Freeway’s code once again.

There are some changes that only SCS can accomplish, so it’s a razor-sharp tool to wield with care and forethought.

Either way hopefully in the future this will be part of Freeway. Then again maybe I am missing something and i understand it goes against the concept of Freeway with the “Master” pages. Really do like that idea. So any insight into that would be appreciated…adding code where i want to in a page.

There are all sorts of “nooks and crannies” (as the muffin people refer to them) where you can insert code in a Freeway page.

If your code is general in nature, like a library of functions, then you can insert it into the page using the Page / HTML Markup dialog, and within that you have access to 12 different “slots” before and after the cardinal points of the page code.

If your code needs to appear in a specific place on the page, you have the Insert / Markup Item element, which can generate a positioned block or inline element containing whatever custom code you need, and you can place those anywhere within the layout.

Further, if you are working within a table element, you have access to that table in much the same manner as Page / HTML Markup does to the page. You can wrap a function around a row or a column of the table, and cause it to repeat in a loop using a dynamic language.

Finally, Actions can extend almost any aspect of the published code. I have an entire suite of Actions that I use to integrate Freeway with my PHP framework and JavaScript (Ajax) coding.

As with the other methods I’ve outlined here, the benefit to these approaches is that they “go with the flow” of Freeway. Rather than trying to edit the code and have Freeway somehow convert that back up to the object model, they do tiny Judo moves to shift the natural course of the Freeway publish process and insert the specific changes needed during the publish process. And these types of changes are then a part of the object model of the page and document, so you can copy and extended element from one page and paste it – dynamic code and all – on another page, or move everything around on a page and have all your custom code still work.

The program is close to perfect though so much more to expand on. Really like the “Showcase” galleries. Hope to see many new features in the future. I think Freeway has new owners too.

I am constantly finding new uses for Freeway, and new ways to twist it to my own working style. But there are a lot of times when my entire toolkit is TextMate and CSSEdit. i think that rather than expecting Freeway to change its core method of working, it’s best to focus on how to use it to build the pieces you need – let it be great at what it is unequalled at, in other words. It’s not going to be everything to everyone all the time, and if it tried, it would fail at some things pretty hard.

Softpress haven’t changed hands so much as there’s been a graduation. Richard Logan (former Managing Director) has moved up to lead the Board of Directors, and Joe Billings is the new Managing Director. Both have been with Softpress for many many many years, and Freeway has been a Softpress product since Freeway was called Uniqorn and was the DTP application to watch (along with QuarkXPress 1.3).

Walter

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden