Hacker takes out GoDaddy Servers.

Was searching the web for secure hosting providers. This is something I didn’t know abotu GoDaddy :smiley: Well, but I think I am going to with one of these found here: http://geekyshark.com/best-hosting/

Any reviews about hosting services found there?

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

I have never seen this hosting guide before, but something you should know is that many of the less-scrupulous hosting providers tend to a) own lots of differently-named branded providers, all re-selling the same thing essentially, and b) many of the “guides” to good hosting are made by those same companies, and exist to steer the inexperienced toward their over-sold offerings.

I can recommend the following hosts, having used them for many years, and having great results with them. Note, my experience is mostly in the continental US.

Shared Hosting (cPanel or something like it)

1. Modwest (actually housed in a former nuclear missile silo)
  2. A2 Hosting

VPS (Virtual Private Server, you must be able to install and configure Apache to use these)

1. Joyent (Used to host Twitter. Can scale like nobody else)
  2. Linode
  3. Digital Ocean
  4. Amazon AWS (Host Netflix, also capable of ridiculous scaling)

Since I started working in Ruby on Rails, I have been exclusively using VPSs to host things, mostly because it’s very painful to host Rails in a shared environment. That said, I don’t recommend shared hosting to my commercial clients, even for pure static sites. There are definitely reasons to want to use it (ease, cost) but the risk is getting to be too high for me.

I just spent quite a bit of time de-spamming a mostly static site for a client, which was taken over by an exploit of another site on the same physical server. When you have a VPS, there is nobody sharing your machine at all. You have to do more work, but the payoff is that you know exactly who to blame if something goes wrong, and it won’t be someone hosting a blog on a 4-year old copy of Wordpress in another account, with hundreds of known exploits possible against it, and root access available for anyone who runs a simple script.

Walter

On Jun 9, 2016, at 9:50 AM, Gerald email@hidden wrote:

Was searching the web for secure hosting providers. This is something I didn’t know abotu GoDaddy :smiley: Well, but I think I am going to with one of these found here: http://geekyshark.com/best-hosting/

Any reviews about hosting services found there?

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

Thanks a lot, Walter, for such a detailed help! Wasn’t hoping to get any reply cause it such an old thread. So, thanks, mate!

On 9 Jun 2016, 2:04 pm, waltd wrote:

I have never seen this hosting guide before, but something you should know is that many of the less-scrupulous hosting providers tend to a) own lots of differently-named branded providers, all re-selling the same thing essentially, and b) many of the “guides” to good hosting are made by those same companies, and exist to steer the inexperienced toward their over-sold offerings.

I can recommend the following hosts, having used them for many years, and having great results with them. Note, my experience is mostly in the continental US.

Shared Hosting (cPanel or something like it)

1. Modwest (actually housed in a former nuclear missile silo)
  2. A2 Hosting

VPS (Virtual Private Server, you must be able to install and configure Apache to use these)

1. Joyent (Used to host Twitter. Can scale like nobody else)
  2. Linode
  3. Digital Ocean
  4. Amazon AWS (Host Netflix, also capable of ridiculous scaling)

Since I started working in Ruby on Rails, I have been exclusively using VPSs to host things, mostly because it’s very painful to host Rails in a shared environment. That said, I don’t recommend shared hosting to my commercial clients, even for pure static sites. There are definitely reasons to want to use it (ease, cost) but the risk is getting to be too high for me.

I just spent quite a bit of time de-spamming a mostly static site for a client, which was taken over by an exploit of another site on the same physical server. When you have a VPS, there is nobody sharing your machine at all. You have to do more work, but the payoff is that you know exactly who to blame if something goes wrong, and it won’t be someone hosting a blog on a 4-year old copy of Wordpress in another account, with hundreds of known exploits possible against it, and root access available for anyone who runs a simple script.

Walter

On Jun 9, 2016, at 9:50 AM, Gerald

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

I can second A2 Hosting, The Best Web Hosting Services at 20x Speeds | A2 Hosting as I use them myself and for clients. Easily the best shared hosting I’ve used to date.

Can’t speak to their VPS plans but I would suspect the quality is equally as high.

Todd
Office (Chicago): 312.212.3955

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Don’t forget Caleb’s recommended review websites:

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden