Hiding urls on links page

Stephen Kenyon

It appears to me that what you’re trying to do is just set external hyperlinks - links to pages other than on your own site - without displaying the actual URL you’re linking to. You can just use the information here to learn how to do it.

You don’t need to display the full URL of the linked page to your audience. Select the text or image in your list that you want to use as the link, eg “Dorset Guitar Society”, then go to Edit > External Hyperlink and fill in the URL there - either type it in or go to the site and copy and paste the full URL from the browser URL field. Then when someone clicks on “Dorset Guitar Society”, they will be taken to the Dorset Guitar Society’s website (or whatever URL you have specified for that link). If a URL changes, you just go back and edit the URL specified in the Hyperlink. To check whether the links are correct, publish your site and follow the links (eg. by clicking on “Dorset Guitar Society”) yourself to make sure you are taken to where you expect and that the linked site is still valid and active.

In your example below, you only then need one column (or no columns) for your list. Just the list of common names for the sites/organisations you’re linking to, and make those names the links with the required URL sitting behind it.

Or have I got the wrong end of the stick?…

On 31 May 2020, at 8:46 am, Stephen Kenyon email@hidden wrote:

Thanks Walter, I realise I was far too vague! Each link is accompanied by some further detail, names, nature of the business etc so those elements are visible, the idea is to make the url tricky to copy and paste elsewhere.
What I’ve been experimenting with - bearing in mind I’m very much still learning the software - is using a table with three columns, one for the name etc, a second for the word Link and a third, coloured as the background of the page, into which I paste the url (text colour the background e.g. invisible) and then I use the url to make “Link” connect. The reason I feel it useful to keep the url so close is because there are so many, and from time to time they may change, so its helpful to have them nearby.
This is however very laborious and I’m wondering if there’s a better way, not least as each link takes several clicks to make…?

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at: