Hosting/Email Recommendation?

I’ve always taken those reviews with a huge pinch of salt because they usually seem linked to affiliate codes. Having gone through a few shared hosts several years ago I found they were all pretty unreliable for email or uptime and the primary reason is that they cram in too many users to maximise profits.

After I while I tried a dedicated server but it was overkill and I’ve since found that a decent spec VPS seems to be the best compromise. For static websites like the sort you would produce with Freeway they can handle a huge amount of traffic without blinking but without the costs of a dedicated server and if you share one with a friend your costs are even lower.

I’ve been with Leaseweb and Hetzner on unmanaged servers but it’s really a false economy unless you know how to handle all the maintenance on a server yourself. You only need one problem a year where you call in some help to wipe out the savings compared to a managed server. One good idea is to go on http://www.webhostingtalk.com and ask for feedback or reviews about any web host you are interested in.

I eventually ended up at FutureHosting after a server manager gave me a list of half a dozen suggestions and it just looked like the one that made the most sense in the end, but everybody is different so what works for me may not be your ideal choice.

Ashley

offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at: