How do I: replace an image?

I can’t seem to be able to replace an image I’ve inserted on a page. Do I need to delete it and reapply the styles I’ve added to it manually?

I can’t seem to be able to replace an image I’ve inserted on a page. Do I need to delete it and reapply the styles I’ve added to it manually?

Yes.

This is something that’s on our to-do list, although I’m not sure how far we’ll go with it.

Should people be able to convert a video into an image, or a form item into an image? Maybe in the first case, but I don’t think so in the second case: Freeway lets you do that (convert a form item into an image) but it restricts you from doing things that seem more obvious (like converting a passthrough image into a non-passthrough image).

What Xway definitely should allow people to do is to “locate” graphics. Note, however, that Xway has a slightly different concept of resources compared with Freeway: if you import the same resource twice it is the same resource in both places.

Jeremy

I’ll tell you what I was trying to do Jeremy and hopefully you’ll see what I’m after.

I’d imported a picture of a peacock in that template test document only to find too late that I’d selected a 5.9mb file. I created a low resolution version of it to replace the original image with but couldn’t figure out how to swap the old image for the new one. If the original file had been updated in the Finder then I’d expect Xweb simply to use this the next time it needed to publish or preview the site. In the end I deleted the image from the page and inserted the new one and reapplied the styles and custom classnames I’d attached the the original image.

I think your ideas of repurposing a video or other files as an image are good but I think my question is much more of a fundamental ‘swap this for that’ type of issue.

Hi Tim,

It’s possible that you could have replaced the image with an identically named image in the Finder, but I’m not sure that would have worked properly. Xway would have used the updated image but it might have been confused about its size.

Graphics (and resources) are an area that needs more work (it’s an area that we’re currently working on).

There are a lot of areas that need more work. What we’ve tried to do with Xway is to produce something that is usable (and mostly bug-free) in its current state - but we’re aware of many areas that need to be worked on.

Generally, unless we’ve said that we’re not going to do something (e.g. table layout) you can assume that missing or incomplete functionality is somewhere on our to-do list.

Jeremy