HTML5 - Section vs. Article

Thomas, I am sorry to come so late to this. This is what I consider the fun stuff.

I think the best advice would be to keep your semantics as simple and straight-forward as possible… the HTML5 Doctor rules are good guidelines, and asking yourself how the content groups naturally is a good way to work it out… without being too obsessive-compulsive about drawing the lines.

Like you, I consider <section> as a large (and generic) sectioning element while <article> is more focused. Article elements need to be self-contained enough to appear as completely separate content-- as in Caleb’s feed reader example.

That doesn’t mean Article has to have a lot of content, just a complete “story”. The Read More buttons in your example kill the idea those cards are self-contained, but leaves open the idea that they are different stories gathered in this section/group. So, I might support them as articles but I also might think of them as items in a list.

There is a side of Semantics I think is messy and subjective, and so I think exploring how to use these new sectioning elements is a good thing and should be encouraged. The web may no longer be a fire and forget medium-- what seems okay today may tomorrow be so yesterday.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at: