HTML5 - Section vs. Article

Hi guys,

thanks so much for this - yeah, the fun part!

I’m currently working on a (not new) core principle, which kills “bloated - mega-flyout - schischi and lala” menus. I try to substitute this by guiding a visitor through each page, focusing her on the main aspects.

Menu entries are just page-related - not cross-linked (which is in Germany a no-go - they primary discover a page just by menu). So it’s about an index-page (such as this very raw development file https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8231701/cdn-digitalmedia-clients/schumacher-merz/index.html which can be self-contained (one-pager) or multiple-pages.

So far so good, but now the tricky thing:

If you think the index as a one-page project, I think I do good declaring those as “articles”. There won’t be more - it is self-contained. But if it is a multiple-pages project, each “article” will naturally be just an excerpt - with the call-to-action to read a following full article - and then, if I got you correctly, it would be more a “section”.

But on the other hand, the excerpt contains enough food for feed (gosh - sometimes I’m not sure creating a new language) - so I even can keep it as an “article”.

Don’t mistake me here - I’m not going to be too obsessive in this. But semantic is an important and exciting task. And I know that HTML5 semantics are mainly created for “blog-posts”.

But if you want so, I’m perhaps missing another semantic level which clever combines excerpt with article.

####theExcerpt

“Use this if there’s more to be expected, such as an excerpt on an index with the full article on another page.” (Thomas’ doctor said this).

I perhaps have to have another look into CSS-tricks, cause this is pretty similar to what I’m after - just looking how it is handled there:

And by doing so, he wraps the excerpt as “article”.

So guys - I think we are on the right path. And it’s always a pleasure having a talk with you gentlemen.

Cheers

Thomas

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at: