HTML5

Very recently I’ve been using progressively more HTML5 for recent
projects since clients are asking for it (clients are getting more savvy
all the time). How many of you are also using it and to what extent?
Just curious.

Todd


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

I got a book about it about 6 months ago, and have done a couple of
small projects with it. Right now, I’m working on my first big Rails 3
project, and that uses it by default. I’m using audio tags in that
one, since it’s a medical training site. I’m impressed by what a non-
issue browser compliance is.

Walter

On Jul 15, 2011, at 12:18 AM, Todd wrote:

Very recently I’ve been using progressively more HTML5 for recent
projects since clients are asking for it (clients are getting more
savvy all the time). How many of you are also using it and to what
extent? Just curious.

Todd


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

I’m liking it a lot, though as usual IE is ruining the party but Remy
Sharp’s script does a handy job of fixing that problem. Of course,
relying on js for full IE compatibility is hardly ideal. Still, HTML5 is
pretty cool.

Todd

Walter Lee Davis wrote:

I got a book about it about 6 months ago, and have done a couple of
small projects with it.


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Walter, what do you mean by:

I’m impressed by what a non-issue browser compliance is.

Is that: browsers do not need to be ‘compliant’?

Or that there is little clamor or activity in the community about browsers being able to utilize html5 videos?

My impression from your previous posts here is that it is better to wait a bit until the major browsers catch up in capability…?

Frank

On Jul 15, 2011, at 4:18 AM, Walter Lee Davis wrote:

I got a book about it about 6 months ago, and have done a couple of small projects with it. Right now, I’m working on my first big Rails 3 project, and that uses it by default. I’m using audio tags in that one, since it’s a medical training site. I’m impressed by what a non-issue browser compliance is.

Walter

On Jul 15, 2011, at 12:18 AM, Todd wrote:

Very recently I’ve been using progressively more HTML5 for recent projects since clients are asking for it (clients are getting more savvy all the time). How many of you are also using it and to what extent? Just curious.

Todd


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

As a developer, it is extremely easy for me to write code in HTML5
that will fall back in older browsers. The authors of the standard
were real Web developers, rather than the ivory-tower scientists who
conceived XHTML, and they were pragmatists in the extreme.

Here’s a snippet from the project I’m working on right now:

<audio autobuffer autoplay controls style="width:100%;">
   <source src="<%= slide.audio.url %>" type="audio/mpeg"/>
   <object type="audio/mpeg" data="<%= slide.audio.url %>" width="100%">
     <param name="autoplay" value="true"/>
     <param name="autoStart" value="1"/>
     <p><a href="<%= slide.audio.url %>">Download this audio file.</ 
a></p>
   </object>
</audio>

The audio tag, and the source tag are the only parts needed for an
HTML5 browser, and so the remainder down to the last line is ignored
there. Older browsers ignore the audio and source tag entirely, and
read only the object and its contents. Any tag that a browser doesn’t
understand will just pass through without affecting it.

Walter

On Jul 15, 2011, at 11:59 AM, Frank H wrote:

Walter, what do you mean by:

I’m impressed by what a non-issue browser compliance is.

Is that: browsers do not need to be ‘compliant’?

Or that there is little clamor or activity in the community about
browsers being able to utilize html5 videos?

My impression from your previous posts here is that it is better to
wait a bit until the major browsers catch up in capability…?

Frank

On Jul 15, 2011, at 4:18 AM, Walter Lee Davis wrote:

I got a book about it about 6 months ago, and have done a couple of
small projects with it. Right now, I’m working on my first big Rails
3 project, and that uses it by default. I’m using audio tags in that
one, since it’s a medical training site. I’m impressed by what a non-
issue browser compliance is.

Walter

On Jul 15, 2011, at 12:18 AM, Todd wrote:

Very recently I’ve been using progressively more HTML5 for recent
projects since clients are asking for it (clients are getting more
savvy all the time). How many of you are also using it and to what
extent? Just curious.

Todd


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Walter,
As always, for the continued education, Thanks!
Frank H.

On Jul 15, 2011, at 12:30 PM, Walter Lee Davis wrote:

As a developer…


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Walter, dare we ask what book you bought? Or, better yet, given the number of confusing titles out there about HTML5, what would you recommend for some that are FW savvy but are learning to integrate PHP and other items into their work?

Best,

Rick V.


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

This one is good http://pragprog.com/book/bhh5/html5-and-css3 though the Prag Prog site has many others http://pragprog.com worth looking at.

Todd

Walter, dare we ask what book you bought? Or, better yet, given the number of confusing titles out there about HTML5, what would you recommend for some that are FW savvy but are learning to integrate PHP and other items into their work?


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

This one: http://www.abookapart.com/products/html5-for-web-designers

Very slim, a good read, and not too complicated.

Walter


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options