http://www.codecademy.com

I saw the writing on the wall with Freeway about 18 months ago and switched to Rapidweaver, which has so far proven better for my objectives, but in a sense I have simply moved my eggs into a different basket that still relies on others.

I’ve been working with Macs now for 17 years, going back to the original G3 iMac. I have worked with a large number of applications using proprietary file formats that keep you tied to their ecosystem, but with zero guarantees in return. As computer users we need to think smarter and think longterm.

Clearly there are limits to what can be done on your own and it’s not always sensible spending time trying to reinvent the wheel, but the sudden demise of Softpress is a good moment to reflect how to become less dependent on software applications that are here today and gone tomorrow.

If you produce one site a year I guess you can just use something like Blocs and knock out a respectable looking site that should last a few years, but if you want something more, learning to code sounds like the logical step forward.

I shall take some first tentative steps with this and see where it leads me. My only reluctance is that I am already juggling various tasks and roles as a diversified one man business and the number one commodity is time.

Ashley

offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at: