I wish for ... Linkback

I wish I could drag my images into Freeway and double click them to open them automatically in the Linkback capable applications where I created them, e.g., Create, ArtText, Intaglio, and have them update automatically as I save the edits. No, it’s not vital, but it sure would be nice.


Robin Stark

Robin, you are only a click or two away from almost what you want. Double click on an image and in the resulting dialog box click on Edit and the application you want in the drop down list. First time, you need to ‘Customise’ the list to bring in the applications you need for editing. Once done that list is quickly available every time. Not quite as fast as the double click, but fast enough for most purposes and your image is automatically updated.

HTH - Colin

On 26 Nov 2008, at 13:06, Robin Stark wrote:

I wish I could drag my images into Freeway and double click them to open them automatically in the Linkback capable applications where I created them, e.g., Create, ArtText, Intaglio, and have them update automatically as I save the edits. No, it’s not vital, but it sure would be nice.


Robin Stark


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

If I understand Linkback correctly, it only works in Cocoa-based applications, which Freeway is not, unfortunately.


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Yes, I have added my other applications to the edit menu, and it does open them in the application, but I still have to drag the edited image back into Freeway. It doesn’t automatically update it, unless I’m missing something?

Oh, I get it! If I actually save the image to my hard drive and drag it in from the finder, THEN edit it and save it back, it is updated. You are correct, I never knew that, because I never do it that way. Well, hardly ever. I use Create for most of my graphics and they hardly ever get to the Finder. I drag them straight across from Create to Freeway. Now, those ones don’t update.

Yes, that works fine, but not as good as actually being able to edit the graphic itself, you know what I mean? I am still editing a single image, whereas with Linkback, I’m editing any and all parts of the image, if that makes sense.

Well, if it’s a Cocoa thing, like Joe says, I’ll stop wishing for it.

On Nov 26, 2008, at 7:32 AM, Colin Alcock wrote:

Robin, you are only a click or two away from almost what you want. Double click on an image and in the resulting dialog box click on Edit and the application you want in the drop down list. First time, you need to ‘Customise’ the list to bring in the applications you need for editing. Once done that list is quickly available every time. Not quite as fast as the double click, but fast enough for most purposes and your image is automatically updated.

HTH - Colin


Robin Stark

Hi Robin,

you can… sort of. If you drag the image onto your FW page and then
double click it you have the option to Edit… or if you select the
image you can ‘Control Select’ to open a contextual menu then select
the Edit then Application option from that menu.

On Nov 26, 2008, at 2:06 PM, Robin Stark wrote:

I wish I could drag my images into Freeway and double click them to
open them automatically in the Linkback capable applications where I
created them, e.g., Create, ArtText, Intaglio, and have them update
automatically as I save the edits. No, it’s not vital, but it sure
would be nice.


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Double click on the image > select edit > select photoshop (for
example) > make the changes, and save.

The Freeway document updates the image automatically on the page

That using FW5 and OSX 10.5.5

Its a bit time saver

On 26 Nov 2008, at 14:11, Robin Stark wrote:

but I still have to drag the edited image back into Freeway. It
doesn’t automatically update it, unless I’m missing something?

David Owen
Freeway Friendly Web hosting and Domains ::

http://www.ineedwebhosting.co.uk
http://www.ineedwebhosting.co.uk/blog


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

David, that does work well and I will use it when I actually have the
image on my hard drive. But the application I use called Create,
allows you to just drag your graphic right off the Create document to
Freeway without ever saving the image to your hard drive/in the
Finder, cutting out the middleman, so to speak. That’s where I was
hoping to have it work with Linkback, but I guess that’s not going to
happen because Freeway isn’t a Cocoa application.

On Nov 27, 2008, at 11:13 AM, David Owen wrote:

Double click on the image > select edit > select photoshop (for
example) > make the changes, and save.

The Freeway document updates the image automatically on the page

That using FW5 and OSX 10.5.5

Its a bit time saver

On 26 Nov 2008, at 14:11, Robin Stark wrote:

but I still have to drag the edited image back into Freeway. It
doesn’t automatically update it, unless I’m missing something?

David Owen
Freeway Friendly Web hosting and Domains ::


Robin Stark


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Sometime around 26/11/08 (at 08:11 -0600) Robin Stark said:

I use Create for most of my graphics and they hardly ever get to the
Finder. I drag them straight across from Create to Freeway. Now,
those ones don’t update.

That’s quite normal, and this is the state of the universe for all
professional publishing applications. If you import a disk-based
image file then there is an original that can be updated and is
automatically read.

k


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

the application I use called Create, allows you to just drag your
graphic right off the Create document to Freeway without ever saving
the image to your hard drive/in the Finder

Lots of programs let you do this. You can do this by dragging images
straight in from Safari. The result is image data with no external
link, so there’s nothing to update.

Linkback sounds interesting; it would help with people who do that
rather than working with externally-saved images.

I maintain, though, that it is not best practice with professional
publishing work. The site document would balloon in size, making
opening and saving times increase dramatically.

k


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

I was going to ask you, Keith, why the document would balloon in size,
because mine aren’t “growing,” but I found out the hard way this
morning what my shortcutting was doing.

No, the FW documents weren’t ballooning, but my temporary items folder
for Create was growing very large. With no external file to link to,
all my conveniently dragged images were storing up in this folder and
it was filled with old images and files.

And how did I find this out, you ask? I deleted that folder. Yes, I
did. It was temporary stuff, right? And I looked at it and it seemed
like it was all really old, so into the trash it went. Since I have
Hazel set to automatically dump things that are more than 2GB, and
since Hazel ALWAYS works, dammit, she dumped my folder. Imagine my
surprise when I went to publish one of my sites this morning and it
couldn’t find any of those images.

Note to self: rename the folder before trashing it to see if it makes
a different.

On Nov 27, 2008, at 3:50 PM, Keith Martin wrote:

the application I use called Create, allows you to just drag your
graphic right off the Create document to Freeway without ever
saving the image to your hard drive/in the Finder

Lots of programs let you do this. You can do this by dragging images
straight in from Safari. The result is image data with no external
link, so there’s nothing to update.

Linkback sounds interesting; it would help with people who do that
rather than working with externally-saved images.

I maintain, though, that it is not best practice with professional
publishing work. The site document would balloon in size, making
opening and saving times increase dramatically.

k


Robin Stark


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Sometime around 1/12/08 (at 10:32 -0600) Robin Stark said:

Note to self: rename the folder before trashing it to see if it
makes a different.

Ouch. I hope this hasn’t caused any particularly awkward problems. :frowning:

Create’s approach to this feature (or is this the standard Linkback
approach?) would seem to pose even more thorny issues for
transporting files across different machines than those raised by
traditional file-referencing imports.

k


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

No, it’s not stand Linkback approach, and I can’t blame Create for my
stupidity. I should have known that the images had to actually go
SOMEPLACE, and they were. Now I know, and if anyone else is doing what
I was doing with Create, skipping the step of dragging to the hard
drive, at the very least, don’t delete that folder. Me? I’m dragging
to the Finder from now on.

I have all my images in my Create documents so it’s a matter of
dragging them to my hard drive now and locating them in Freeway. Time
consuming, but if that’s the worst thing that happens to me, I’m lucky.

On Dec 1, 2008, at 10:41 AM, Keith Martin wrote:

Sometime around 1/12/08 (at 10:32 -0600) Robin Stark said:

Note to self: rename the folder before trashing it to see if it
makes a different.

Ouch. I hope this hasn’t caused any particularly awkward problems. :frowning:

Create’s approach to this feature (or is this the standard Linkback
approach?) would seem to pose even more thorny issues for
transporting files across different machines than those raised by
traditional file-referencing imports.

k


Robin Stark


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Hi Robin,

Would saving the file in Create and then dragging from there or the
icon at the top of the Create window not remove the step of having to
drag it to the Finder?

Joe

On 1 Dec 2008, at 16:56, Robin Stark wrote:

No, it’s not stand Linkback approach, and I can’t blame Create for
my stupidity. I should have known that the images had to actually go
SOMEPLACE, and they were. Now I know, and if anyone else is doing
what I was doing with Create, skipping the step of dragging to the
hard drive, at the very least, don’t delete that folder. Me? I’m
dragging to the Finder from now on.

I have all my images in my Create documents so it’s a matter of
dragging them to my hard drive now and locating them in Freeway.
Time consuming, but if that’s the worst thing that happens to me,
I’m lucky.

On Dec 1, 2008, at 10:41 AM, Keith Martin wrote:

Sometime around 1/12/08 (at 10:32 -0600) Robin Stark said:

Note to self: rename the folder before trashing it to see if it
makes a different.

Ouch. I hope this hasn’t caused any particularly awkward
problems. :frowning:

Create’s approach to this feature (or is this the standard Linkback
approach?) would seem to pose even more thorny issues for
transporting files across different machines than those raised by
traditional file-referencing imports.

k


Robin Stark


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

No, Joe, it wouldn’t, because that is what I’ve been doing, dragging
from a saved file with the icon at the top of Create, but once I get
it to FW, Create is saving it as a temporary item in that folder. I
didn’t know what was what was happening. I was blithely dragging away
to FW, thinking I was getting away with cutting corners. Create is
supposed to delete the temp files when I quit, but I suppose since the
images were still being used/linked to the FW file, it wasn’t deleting
them, and rightly so, as I found out. I think I’m going to post on the
Create forum and just see what someone says about that, because I sure
did like just dragging between the two applications.

On Dec 1, 2008, at 2:27 PM, Joe Billings wrote:

Hi Robin,

Would saving the file in Create and then dragging from there or the
icon at the top of the Create window not remove the step of having
to drag it to the Finder?

Joe

On 1 Dec 2008, at 16:56, Robin Stark wrote:

No, it’s not stand Linkback approach, and I can’t blame Create for
my stupidity. I should have known that the images had to actually
go SOMEPLACE, and they were. Now I know, and if anyone else is
doing what I was doing with Create, skipping the step of dragging
to the hard drive, at the very least, don’t delete that folder. Me?
I’m dragging to the Finder from now on.

I have all my images in my Create documents so it’s a matter of
dragging them to my hard drive now and locating them in Freeway.
Time consuming, but if that’s the worst thing that happens to me,
I’m lucky.

On Dec 1, 2008, at 10:41 AM, Keith Martin wrote:

Sometime around 1/12/08 (at 10:32 -0600) Robin Stark said:

Note to self: rename the folder before trashing it to see if it
makes a different.

Ouch. I hope this hasn’t caused any particularly awkward
problems. :frowning:

Create’s approach to this feature (or is this the standard
Linkback approach?) would seem to pose even more thorny issues for
transporting files across different machines than those raised by
traditional file-referencing imports.

k
et/person/options


Robin Stark


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Sometime around 1/12/08 (at 18:43 -0600) Robin Stark said:

Create is supposed to delete the temp files when I quit, but I
suppose since the images were still being used/linked to the FW file

I think the reason could be that Create wasn’t getting the Linkback
response it wanted from the destination application, so it didn’t
delete the temp files. That’s sensible, to a point, but there are
obviously weak points to this behaviour.

I did a quick bit of digging to find out more about Linkback and I
think it is a clever idea and technology. However - perhaps because
of my existing understanding of traditional processes - it strikes me
as a solution that is, at this stage, more suited to
‘non-professional’ workflows. I’m talking without tested knowledge so
it may be coming from the direction of my rear end, but I can imagine
possible issues with prepress systems in particular.

k


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options