iFrame

Hi,

I would like to integrate several jalbums, specifically bananalbums into my site. I understand that this can be done with an iFrame (I’ve no idea what that is, but I’m happy to find out). I’ve seen that Paul Dunning produced an Action for iFrame, but I can’t find the action itself anywhere on the web. Has it become outdated? Perhaps there’s a better way of doing it now? I’m running FW 4.4.

The developer of the bananalbum says this about embedding :

Embed a BananAlbum in your site. · 19.10.06

Here’s a nice tutorial about embedding a BananAlbum in your site.
It can be done very easily by using an IFRAME.

For example; Your album is located at http://www.yourdomain.com/album, the piece of html-code you’ll have to put in your page is:
IFRAME SRC=“http://www.yourdomain.com/album” WIDTH=424 HEIGHT=350 FRAMEBORDER=0 SCROLLING=no></IFRAME

Is this something that I could do easily with FW?

Any help/pointers, much appreciated. :slight_smile:

Grant

www.grantsymon.com


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Yes, you can do this quite easily. First publish your banana albums to your choice of server. This is how you get iFrames to work - I use FW Pro 4:

  1. Have a blank part prepared for your album area.
  2. Click Insert>Action Item>IFrame
  3. Make the provided box roughly 750x600 (you can change this to your taste)
  4. With the box selected, view the Actions window
  5. For the URL select the previously published location (only giving up to the last directory, you wont put in an actual filename such as index.html or such)
  6. Select scrolling to NO and play with other options as you choose.

That should get you started. The action that is installed selects the html-code for you as outlined in your post. So if you can get the action, you are all set. (Just download it, double click, and it installs. Then you access it from the menu as I stated)


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Beatrice,

thanks! … That sounds really simple.

I in fact found the iFrame action on the Softpress site. I guess I’ll have to stop doing these things at 2am. :slight_smile: I was sure it wasn’t there. Don’t know why the Tutorial doesn’t reference the downloads though. :confused:

Grant

BTW … To all those concerned. This new look list-board is really cool. Well done! It’s the nicest I’ve seen. (And works particularly well with Safari’s re-sizable text window.)


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Beatrice, thought you might be able to help me here, since I posted this six days ago and no one replied.

Subject: iframe as target for a link from different page

What I want to do:

Page One has an iframe.

Page Two contains specific links that when clicked will open a specific web page in the iframe on page one.

Here are the instructions from a previous post on how this is accomplished, but it didn’t work, so I experimented and found the solution. I lost my solution and can’t get it back:

The original post reads (freewaytalk.net/thread/view/9246#m_9332):

“… what you do is create the link for each url > then press the extended button > then press new > in the name box type “target” ( without the quotes ) > then in the value box type the name of your iframe ( i.e. iframe, fred, or whatever” ) > then type ok > and ok again.”

Following these instructions causes the web page to open, but does not target inside my iframe.

This is what I am doing:

  1. Create an iframe named “designer” on page 2.
  2. Create a link on page one and in Edit Hyperlink dialog choose “other or http”
  3. Type the full url to the page I wish to open.
  4. While in the Edit Hyperlink dialog click the “extended” button
  5. In extended attributes click the “new” button and name=target and value=“the name of my iframe” (in this case “designer”
  6. Okay all windows.
  7. When preview in browser or upload clicking the link opens the targeted website, but it doesn’t open in in my iframe.

As I said, I had this working somehow, but cannot replicate it. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Cecil


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Hi Cecil

The instructions you read in that previous post were how to target different iFrame content from links in the same web page.

Your idea is a bit different in that you want to target page 2 from page 1 and insert the content into the iFrame on page 2.

You would need to alter the extended attributes to target your iFrame something like designer/page2.html(www.newcontent.com)

Now I know this is not the right syntax for this and to be honest I don’t even know if it is doable.

Why go to the trouble of targeting an iFrame on a different page anyway?

David


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Alternatively have links to multiple page2s with different iFrame content on each.

David


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Thanks Dave. That does shed some light on this. I will work this out in the morning.

I have a site full of products scattered throughout my site that are customized in real time using a design facility on a different host. I want my customers to stay within my site when using the facility, thus the iframe. In my initial tests (till I lost it) it appeared to work perfectly. There may be a better way to handle this kind of thing, but the iframed seemed the logical idea for my limited knowledge.


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

I am not an expert at this by no means - but it sounds like you want to get external pages to show withing your site, right? Then the directions I gave would work.

If you want to use an iframe with another page from your current website, that is possible too - you just select that page from the drop down menu in the action window (same spot you select the external page).

Now, why do this? iFrame allows the scroll option. So I found it useful if I have a long text page, I can insert that into another current page - save space. The setup? One page for view and then I created a new folder called popups which contain the different size pages that are inserted into other pages as needed.

Hope that helps.


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Hi Beatrice,

Just had a look at the banana site and downloaded the creator, works well!

To get this up and running is it as simple as placing the folder it creates ‘pics’ on the server? Then reference this from the iframe actions pallette, however only ref" the folder NOT individual files!

To align where you wish the thumb nails to go say top/left/right is this also done through the iframe actions palette? And are the thumbnails also contained within the size of the space you allocate for this photo album?

I also looked at the site you did “BSB” mentioned on beta5 forum 'CSS scrolling horizontally" and noticed you had also written a post in early jan about adding ‘poop up’ text etc to each thumbnail once selected, is this what you wanted to achieve? Sorry if I got the wrong end of the stick!

This is a feature that I would also like to use, hav you solved this issue yet or come up with another solution?

Is the folder that banana creates all contained within one page when shoen in freeway? i.e do each image have its own page, or all they all flash?

The only thing I can think of at the moment is to have a seperate page for each ‘thumb’ assigned to its own master ‘thumbs’ and apply some kinda slave image rollover or link so that once each is visited, the page appears to have its own text specific to that image!

I know you would prefer a popup to be inkeeping with the flash style of the banana album, correct? Complex, and messy as you said! ummmm…

Anyone have any suggestions?


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Hi,

I have another question about iFrame … which is working well, except, it leaves a large border around the flash content. Is there a way to force it to leave less, or none? I have tried using minus numbers for the Margins (and indeed huge numbers) but these have no effect on the placement of the flash-content (bananAlbum).

Grant


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Could you post a link to your test page? One of the tricks I use to
diagnose these is to use either CSSEdit or Xyle scope to fiddle with
the live site and see what happens. Often these sorts of things are
caused by a different element or style rule than you imagine. Xyle
scope in particular can show you the relative weight that each rule
is given in the cascade. Most things on a page are affected by more
than one rule, no matter how explicitly you may name that rule.

Walter

On Feb 6, 2008, at 8:03 AM, grantsymon wrote:

Hi,

I have another question about iFrame … which is working well,
except, it leaves a large border around the flash content. Is
there a way to force it to leave less, or none? I have tried using
minus numbers for the Margins (and indeed huge numbers) but these
have no effect on the placement of the flash-content (bananAlbum).

Grant


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Hi Walter!!

I haven’t got a test page yet. I’m still fiddling around trying to optimise the images for a larger size, but the bananAlbum side of things is working quite well. I’ll post when I have something online.

As for the borders … turns out that it’s JAlbum/bananAlbum which is creating them. I’m trying different tools, but they have varying capabilities. One of the weird things is that JAlbum is written in Java and is really very hard to work with. Let’s just say, it’s not like a modern app. :slight_smile:

Grant


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

On 6 Feb. 2008, 2:45 pm, grantsymon wrote:
As for the borders … turns out that it’s JAlbum/bananAlbum which is creating them. I’m trying different tools, but they have varying capabilities. One of the weird things is that JAlbum is written in Java and is really very hard to work with. Let’s just say, it’s not like a modern app. :slight_smile:

Grant

I set up a site here for a client using a personalised version of bananalbum ( paid extra to get rid of the logs etc ) http://www.fletcherphotography.co.uk/ukclc07.html

but you are right Grant it is a bit of a sod to get it right - in the jalbum settings dialogue in the bananalbum section i set all the margins to zero - if i remember correctly and by tweeking the sizes of thumbnails and large images and position of the scroll bars got there in the end.

I don’t think I’ll do it again in a hurry (-:

have fun anyway - always nice to beat the system when you get it working !

Gary


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Hello all… Iam new here, finally upgrade to F Pro4,

but my issue is also IFrame. Please advise

I have a multiple menu list on the page and across from that is an iFrame box.

I just cannot figure out how to connect the dots. I tried what was suggested above by linking and using extended ect, but this does not work on the same page. I have made a mistake.
So I tried layers of Iframes on top of each other and that does nothing

anyone who could help I would be most grateful

Thx


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Carla,

try breaking it all down to find out what’s going wrong.

Make a fresh empty page in FW and place an iFrame on the page.

Upload your iFrame content to your server (or have it locally, but you still need the address … remembering that when you publish, unless it is accessible via the internet, it will not be available to your site’s visitors)

In the Actions palette, set the URL for the content.

Preview it in your browser.

That should work. Now apply the same process to your normal page. If it doesn’t work, then I’d suggest making a copy of the page, then slowly stripping bits away until you find out what’s causing the problem.

N.B. iFrame will not publish if any other elements are sitting on top of it.

Grant


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

On 7 Feb. 2008, 3:46 am, Carla wrote:
I have a multiple menu list on the page and across from that is an iFrame box.

I just cannot figure out how to connect the dots. I tried what was suggested above by linking and using extended ect, but this does not work on the same page. I have made a mistake.

Hi Carla , what you do is highlight the link for each url in your list > then press command (apple) + k to open the hyperlink dialogue box > then choose your link url - either internal or external > press the extended button > then press new > in the name box type “target” ( without the quotes ) > then in the value box type the name of your iframe on the page ( i.e. iframe, fred, or whatever" ) > then type ok > and ok again.

just be careful that the content you have linked to will fit into the iframe otherwise you will get scroll bars up and sideways ( if in the action palette you set it at auto ), unfortunately in I.E. you might even get double scroll bars ! not found a way to cure that one yet ( unless someone knows a workround please ! )

plus if you are linking to external content it will also not show until you upload your page !

ps sorry cosjr - I have not had time to figure out how you link from one page and get the iframe to load separate or different content each time

Gary


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Thanks Grant

My iFrames works but only one scrolloer at a time. and with a menu on
the left I can not figure how to connect it all.

When I click rollover it goes to the internal page of images but not
in iFrame. When I layer one frame on top of another, that does not
work either…

Thanks
for the help

Carla

On Feb 7, 2008, at 3:46 AM, grantsymon wrote:

Carla,

try breaking it all down to find out what’s going wrong.

Make a fresh empty page in FW and place an iFrame on the page.

Upload your iFrame content to your server (or have it locally, but
you still need the address … remembering that when you publish,
unless it is accessible via the internet, it will not be available
to your site’s visitors)

In the Actions palette, set the URL for the content.

Preview it in your browser.

That should work. Now apply the same process to your normal page.
If it doesn’t work, then I’d suggest making a copy of the page, then
slowly stripping bits away until you find out what’s causing the
problem.

N.B. iFrame will not publish if any other elements are sitting on
top of it.

Grant


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Thanks

I did this but the link goes to the internal page and does not diplay
the scroll in iFrame.
I have 5 links to fit in one frame. I already tried to layer frames
but that does not work… This is new to me so I am a bit confuised

Thanks
On Feb 7, 2008, at 5:40 AM, diarbyrag wrote:

On 7 Feb. 2008, 3:46 am, Carla wrote:
I have a multiple menu list on the page and across from that is an
iFrame box.

I just cannot figure out how to connect the dots. I tried what was
suggested above by linking and using extended ect, but this does
not work on the same page. I have made a mistake.

Hi Carla , what you do is highlight the link for each url in your
list > then press command (apple) + k to open the hyperlink dialogue
box > then choose your link url - either internal or external >
press the extended button > then press new > in the name box type
“target” ( without the quotes ) > then in the value box type the
name of your iframe on the page ( i.e. iframe, fred, or whatever" )

then type ok > and ok again.

just be careful that the content you have linked to will fit into
the iframe otherwise you will get scroll bars up and sideways ( if
in the action palette you set it at auto ), unfortunately in I.E.
you might even get double scroll bars ! not found a way to cure that
one yet ( unless someone knows a workround please ! )

plus if you are linking to external content it will also not show
until you upload your page !

ps sorry cosjr - I have not had time to figure out how you link from
one page and get the iframe to load separate or different content
each time

Gary


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Hi Carla

Have you got a page online somewhere that we can have a look at?

David


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Carla

Also check which HTML output setting you have chosen in the Page Inspector> 3rd button along

I think it has to be 4.01 Transitional to work.

David


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options