Importing.

Sorry if this is a idiot question, I have been using golive as a website generator for years, so have several sites I maintain and update. As I have just come up to date with a new iMac I’m looking to buy new web generation program. Freeway pro seems to fit the bill nicely. But can it do what golive does, ie you can log into a site ftp or if you have a copy of the site in a folder on your computer, you select import and it imports and generates the site into a new golive version in a new folder.

Intaglio mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Hi Martin,

It’s not an idiot question at all. In fact this inquiry has been coming up more frequently of late in one form or another.

The short answer is no, FW will not do this or anything similar. Though FW can import preexisting html it’s not very good at, mainly because of its internal design model; it’s much better at creating and manipulating its own code than importing files. The upshot is that recreating a site in FW is usually easier and quicker than you might think and it’s really the best way to get the most from the program. This is not the answer most people want to hear but it is a reality of using FW, although admittedly it’s not always a viable option.

BTW, your post should be on the FreewayTalk list, not Intaglio. ; ) Could someone move it over there?

Todd

On Apr 2, 2008, at 11:47 AM, Martin wrote:

Sorry if this is a idiot question, I have been using golive as a website generator for years, so have several sites I maintain and update. As I have just come up to date with a new iMac I’m looking to buy new web generation program. Freeway pro seems to fit the bill nicely. But can it do what golive does, ie you can log into a site ftp or if you have a copy of the site in a folder on your computer, you select import and it imports and generates the site into a new golive version in a new folder.

Todd thank you very much for your reply. Its a shame, a couple of my sites have hundreds of pages and photos, restarting 7 years of cumulative work is a daunting task.

Maybe softpress could think about developing an import facility.

Apologies for posting in the wrong forum!

Intaglio mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options