Includes

I have been asked: “Are if you’re considering putting common global
elements into include files for easier maintenance in the
long run etc?”

This would be for headers / footers etc. What would be the easiest way
for this to happen? I’m assuming Server Side Includes.

Nathan Garner
Partner

Austin Wells Design Consultants
1 Elmgate Drive, Littledown, Bournemouth BH7 7EF
+44 (0)1202 301271
email@hidden
http://www.awdc-creative.com

Member of NAPP


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Tim Plumb (as usual) has a great solution for this, all rolled up in
an Action. Check out Simple Include Pro at http://freewayactions.com
for one way to do this. I have a more geek-friendly solution in my
TemplateHelper Action, available at ActionsForge. Both allow you to
carve an element out of an outer page and insert it back into another
page or pages. Be sure when you do that either the document is set to
use External Style Sheets, or you have forced the styles used in the
footer to publish in the outer page somehow (I place an HTML box on
the pasteboard with little snippets of styled text in it to do this.)

Walter

On Jun 2, 2009, at 7:25 AM, Nathan Garner wrote:

I have been asked: “Are if you’re considering putting common global
elements into include files for easier maintenance in the
long run etc?”


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Thanks Walter… as always coming to the rescue. Many regards.

Nathan Garner
Partner

Austin Wells Design Consultants
1 Elmgate Drive, Littledown, Bournemouth BH7 7EF
+44 (0)1202 301271
email@hidden
http://www.awdc-creative.com

Member of NAPP

On 2 Jun 2009, at 12:40, Walter Lee Davis wrote:

Tim Plumb (as usual) has a great solution for this, all rolled up in
an Action. Check out Simple Include Pro at http://freewayactions.com
for one way to do this. I have a more geek-friendly solution in my
TemplateHelper Action, available at ActionsForge. Both allow you to
carve an element out of an outer page and insert it back into
another page or pages. Be sure when you do that either the document
is set to use External Style Sheets, or you have forced the styles
used in the footer to publish in the outer page somehow (I place an
HTML box on the pasteboard with little snippets of styled text in it
to do this.)

Walter

On Jun 2, 2009, at 7:25 AM, Nathan Garner wrote:

I have been asked: “Are if you’re considering putting common global
elements into include files for easier maintenance in the
long run etc?”


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Tim’s Super Include Pro action looks like it works a treat. I’ve
tested it Locally and all seems good. There is the menu ‘Merge data -
Remotely (using incudes)’ but when I select that it asks me to change
the url to .shtml - I can’t do this as all the urls have to stay .html

Should I then just stick with ‘Merge data - Locally (when published)’
or won’t this work when uploaded and live?

Nathan Garner
Partner

Austin Wells Design Consultants
1 Elmgate Drive, Littledown, Bournemouth BH7 7EF
+44 (0)1202 301271
email@hidden
http://www.awdc-creative.com

Member of NAPP

On 2 Jun 2009, at 12:40, Walter Lee Davis wrote:

Tim Plumb (as usual) has a great solution for this, all rolled up in
an Action. Check out Simple Include Pro at http://freewayactions.com
for one way to do this. I have a more geek-friendly solution in my
TemplateHelper Action, available at ActionsForge. Both allow you to
carve an element out of an outer page and insert it back into
another page or pages. Be sure when you do that either the document
is set to use External Style Sheets, or you have forced the styles
used in the footer to publish in the outer page somehow (I place an
HTML box on the pasteboard with little snippets of styled text in it
to do this.)

Walter

On Jun 2, 2009, at 7:25 AM, Nathan Garner wrote:

I have been asked: “Are if you’re considering putting common global
elements into include files for easier maintenance in the
long run etc?”


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Merge Data Locally does a “design-side include” which should work just
fine for your purposes. But ask your hosting provider if they offer
Server Side Includes – most do. This will cut down (very slightly)
the total size of your site on the server, as those included areas
will not be duplicated across pages.

Walter

On Jun 3, 2009, at 11:12 AM, Nathan Garner wrote:

Tim’s Super Include Pro action looks like it works a treat. I’ve
tested it Locally and all seems good. There is the menu 'Merge data

  • Remotely (using incudes)’ but when I select that it asks me to
    change the url to .shtml - I can’t do this as all the urls have to
    stay .html

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

But I’d still have to change my urls to .shtml? or not?

Nathan Garner
Partner

Austin Wells Design Consultants
1 Elmgate Drive, Littledown, Bournemouth BH7 7EF
+44 (0)1202 301271
email@hidden
http://www.awdc-creative.com

Member of NAPP

On 3 Jun 2009, at 16:17, Walter Lee Davis wrote:

Merge Data Locally does a “design-side include” which should work
just fine for your purposes. But ask your hosting provider if they
offer Server Side Includes – most do. This will cut down (very
slightly) the total size of your site on the server, as those
included areas will not be duplicated across pages.

Walter

On Jun 3, 2009, at 11:12 AM, Nathan Garner wrote:

Tim’s Super Include Pro action looks like it works a treat. I’ve
tested it Locally and all seems good. There is the menu 'Merge data

  • Remotely (using incudes)’ but when I select that it asks me to
    change the url to .shtml - I can’t do this as all the urls have to
    stay .html

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Yes, but what’s the issue there? It’s a good technique, and if you
have also enabled MultiViews on Apache server at the same time (and
it’s usually on by default in my experience) then nobody will know the
difference. If foo.html is missing, foo.shtml will be sent out by the
server without skipping a beat. You do have to go through your Freeway
document and change the filename extensions – but only once.

Walter

On Jun 3, 2009, at 11:23 AM, Nathan Garner wrote:

But I’d still have to change my urls to .shtml? or not?


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

I was only concerned as the client has sent out emails / adverts with
specific urls on them. But if the .html file is not there and
the .shtml file will be displayed then that’s great.

Regards,

Nathan Garner
email@hidden

FW5 Pro | MacBook Pro | Leopard

On 3 Jun 2009, at 16:38, Walter Lee Davis wrote:

Yes, but what’s the issue there? It’s a good technique, and if you
have also enabled MultiViews on Apache server at the same time (and
it’s usually on by default in my experience) then nobody will know
the difference. If foo.html is missing, foo.shtml will be sent out
by the server without skipping a beat. You do have to go through
your Freeway document and change the filename extensions – but only
once.

Walter

On Jun 3, 2009, at 11:23 AM, Nathan Garner wrote:

But I’d still have to change my urls to .shtml? or not?


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Test that, but that’s precisely what MultiViews is for. You can also
do similar tricks with mod_rewrite, along the lines of

RewriteEngine  on
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME}   !-d
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME}   !-f
RewriteRule    ^(.*).html     $2.shtml [NS,QSA]

Walter

On Jun 3, 2009, at 11:44 AM, Nathan Garner wrote:

I was only concerned as the client has sent out emails / adverts
with specific urls on them. But if the .html file is not there and
the .shtml file will be displayed then that’s great.

Regards,

Nathan Garner
email@hidden

FW5 Pro | MacBook Pro | Leopard

On 3 Jun 2009, at 16:38, Walter Lee Davis wrote:

Yes, but what’s the issue there? It’s a good technique, and if you
have also enabled MultiViews on Apache server at the same time (and
it’s usually on by default in my experience) then nobody will know
the difference. If foo.html is missing, foo.shtml will be sent out
by the server without skipping a beat. You do have to go through
your Freeway document and change the filename extensions – but
only once.

Walter

On Jun 3, 2009, at 11:23 AM, Nathan Garner wrote:

But I’d still have to change my urls to .shtml? or not?


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options