inconsistent vertical spacing

Jeremy,

I have come across a peculiar problem in that the vertical spacing between two elements are different on two pages that, unless I am missing something, are identical in how they are setup. In fact when viewed in the edit mode of Xway, they are identical. Only when viewed using the preview function are they noticeably different. I have attached a pdf to illustrate the issue. The screen shots are annotated to explain the circumstances. The “Landscapes” page operates the way I intend; the “American Bald Eagles” does not. I don’t know if this is operator error, a bug, or something else. I am on macOS 11.4, previewing in Safari, and using beta 4 of Xway. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Fred

inconsistent spacing.pdf (1.27 MB)

Hi Fred,

It’s hard to say without seeing your document. If you’d like me to take a look, can you send a cut-down document to support at softpress dot com (via a transfer link such as Dropbox or WeTransfer).

To create a cut-down version of your document:

1. Duplicate the document (in the Finder, or by choosing Duplicate from the File menu)
  2. Remove any pages that aren’t needed to show the problem
  3. Save the duplicated document

Jeremy

Hi Fred,

Thanks for sending your document. The problem happens because there is an empty paragraph under the “American Bald Eagles” heading. This creates a second h1 element, which you can see in the HTML source (looking at the HTML source in Xway can be a helpful way of spotting subtle differences like this):

American Bald Eagles

To check for and remove this blank line:

1. Click after “American Bald Eagles”
  2. Press right-arrow
  3. The cursor disappears into the next line

4. Press backspace
  5. The empty paragraph (heading) is deleted
    Jeremy

Thanks for taking the time to look into this. Interesting that the effect only manifests itself in a browser and in the html code but not when viewed in Xway.

On Jun 28, 2021, at 8:18 AM, Jeremy Hughes <email@hidden> wrote:

Hi Fred,

Thanks for sending your document. The problem happens because there is an empty paragraph under the “American Bald Eagles” heading. This creates a second h1 element, which you can see in the HTML source (looking at the HTML source in Xway can be a helpful way of spotting subtle differences like this):

American Bald Eagles

To check for and remove this blank line:

1. Click after “American Bald Eagles”
  2. Press right-arrow
  3. The cursor disappears into the next line

4. Press backspace
  5. The empty paragraph (heading) is deleted
    Jeremy

Xway tries to follow HTML/CSS layout rules, but it’s not perfect and the rules are sometimes complicated.

An opposite problem is that if you type “Helloworld”, Xway will display an empty paragraph between “Hello” and “world” - while browsers (and Xway’s Web view) will hide (or collapse) the empty paragraph.

Ditto for multiple spaces (shown in Xway, collapsed in a browser).

Jeremy