Inspector Show/Hide labels

I’m just starting out with Xway – yes, late to the game! It’s really promising, and I’m looking forward to beta 2.

Here’s a minor niggle: the Show/Hide button labels in the Inspector pane…

• Do they need to be text labels rather than > and V arrows?
  • Could the full pane title bars be made active so I don’t need to target things quite so precisely?
  • If not, could they be moved a tad to the left so when there’s a vertical scroll bar visible that doesn’t cover up a good half of those controls? I found it a tiny bit fiddly and very faintly annoying having to be even more careful about targeting those when I had to scroll the whole panel up and down.

k

Hi Keith,

Thanks for the feedback!

The Show/Hide labels are copied from the Show/Hide labels in the Finder, iTunes, Xcode, and other Apple software. I find them less cluttered than disclosure triangles.

Moving them to the left of scroll bars is a good suggestion. I see that Apple do this when scroll bars are set to show “Always” - is that the preference that you’re using (in System Preferences: General)?

I’ve logged this as a task.

Jeremy

Hello Jeremy,

I cannot reopen the site I did. I have no idea where my files went. I can see my folder with my index file and resources but can’t access trough Xway. May I know what I’m doing wrong. Thanks.

Regards

William

From: email@hidden on behalf of Jeremy Hughes email@hidden
Reply-To: email@hidden
Date: Tuesday, 17 December 2019 at 2:02 AM
To: email@hidden
Subject: Re: [xway-talk] Inspector Show/Hide labels

Hi Keith,

Thanks for the feedback!

The Show/Hide labels are copied from the Show/Hide labels in the Finder, iTunes, Xcode, and other Apple software. I find them less cluttered than disclosure triangles.

Moving them to the left of scroll bars is a good suggestion. I see that Apple do this when scroll bars are set to show “Always” - is that the preference that you’re using (in System Preferences: General)?

I’ve logged this as a task.

Jeremy

[Apologies for moderation mistake. I tried to split William’s “reopen site” question into a separate topic and ended up splitting Keith’s message (below)]

Hi Jeremy – no, I generally stick with Apple’s defaults where possible so my setup is more like those people I teach or help out. Scrollbars are set to automatic.

I found that I frequently triggered the scrollbars as I targeted the Show/Hide controls, which hid the right half of them. I had to basically take my fingers off my trackpad for a second for them to disappear. If I don’t wait I can still trigger those, but I have to be that much more precise with my cursor. It also looks a little like a bug when they are partially obscured. :frowning:

Moving them slightly to the left would definitely help. And if it’s not a HIG violation and y’all agree, I would definitely like to see that whole ‘top bar’ area for each pane be the clickable trigger.

k

Hi William,

If you can see the index file and resources, you’re looking at the Site folder - which is inside the document package.

The simplest way to reopen your Xway document is to start Xway and choose the document from “Open Recent” in the File menu.

[You could also command-click on the Finder window which shows the Site folder and use the window menu to navigate back to the folder that contains the document.]

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,

I did try that but it only shows the folder, but no executable file. See attached screen shots.

Cheers

William

From: email@hidden on behalf of Jeremy Hughes email@hidden
Reply-To: email@hidden
Date: Tuesday, 17 December 2019 at 6:53 PM
To: email@hidden
Subject: Re: [xway-talk] Cannot reopen site

Hi William,

If you can see the index file and resources, you’re looking at the Site folder - which is inside the document package.

The simplest way to reopen your Xway document is to start Xway and choose the document from “Open Recent” in the File menu.

[You could also command-click on the Finder window which shows the Site folder and use the window menu to navigate back to the folder that contains the document.]

Jeremy

Hi William,
This forum/mailing list doesn’t seem to support attachments (which helps avoid filling everyone’s email inboxes I presume), so could you put the images online somewhere?

In the meantime, command-click on the title in the Finder window to show the folder path and go TWO levels up, not just one. (Alternatively, hit Command-Up Arrow twice to step up two levels from inside the Site folder.) You should see your Xway document there. Each Xway document is in fact a package and the Site folder is stored within that.

(PS, your queries will be easier to track if you use the New Topic button in the site or send a new email (not a reply) to email@hidden. :slight_smile: )

k

On Mon, Dec 16, 2019 at 06:02 PM, Jeremy Hughes wrote:

I see your point. (And I raise you… :wink:

In Keynote – which I happen to have open now – the equivalent interface things for panes within a panel show a disclosure arrow before each pane’s title and no Show/Hide text on the right, similar to the Xway/Freeway Site panel items. In Keynote the titles themselves also work as clickable triggers.

(I find those arrows to be marginally less distracting than text labels, but I totally get that this is my own subjective feeling.)

k