IP change + FTPS access = our IP getting blacklisted

Yes, I followed the GitHub tutorial, and I see GitHub listed inside ~/.ssh/known_hosts (along with various ServerLogistics servers, past and present). More specifically, I see things like this:

web3.xfernet.net,67.43.161.50 ssh-rsa
AAAAB3NzaC1yc2EAAAA...
github.com,192.30.252.128 ssh-rsa
AAAAB3NzaC1yc2EAAAA...

Those first few characters match my recently created SSH Public Key, but the characters following the EAAAA are different from the SSH Public Key.

So I still don’t full understand how my newly created SSH Key is “automatically used” by Transmit. You said that Transmit would look for an SSH key on the host (ServerLogistics) server when I connect. But then when is my SSH key used?

I connected to my webspace on ServerLogistics via Transmit using SFTP today, but I don’t see any changes inside the “known_hosts” file. So how do I know if my newly created SSH Key is being used? And prior to my creating the SSH Key (when I connected via Transmit & SFTP in the past) do I understand correctly that the SSH key used was taken from the host/Serverlogistics server?

Putting it another way, if the entire point of my creating an SSH key is to authenticate with Serverlogistics differently than in the past, how do I go about having Transmit use my newly created SSH key?

offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

You try connecting without any password entered. Part of the SFTP handshake is to try public key authentication. If no key exists for that host, then it asks for a password. First try to shell to your server using Terminal. Type in the following command:

ssh email@hidden

If it prompts you for the youruser password, then you haven’t added your public key to your server yet. Ask Server Logistics how to do that. But if your public key is on your server at SL, then before it even tries to connect using a password, it will first try to find any matching keys, find yours, and then authenticate using the public and private key pair you generated. This will then add the server’s signature to your list of known hosts, and the circle of trust will be built. Once you do that, you will be able to log into your server at SL using Transmit without a password.

Walter

On Apr 7, 2014, at 10:49 PM, JDW wrote:

Yes, I followed the GitHub tutorial, and I see GitHub listed inside ~/.ssh/known_hosts (along with various ServerLogistics servers, past and present). More specifically, I see things like this:

web3.xfernet.net,67.43.161.50 ssh-rsa
> AAAAB3NzaC1yc2EAAAA...
> github.com,192.30.252.128 ssh-rsa
> AAAAB3NzaC1yc2EAAAA...

Those first few characters match my recently created SSH Public Key, but the characters following the EAAAA are different from the SSH Public Key.

So I still don’t full understand how my newly created SSH Key is “automatically used” by Transmit. You said that Transmit would look for an SSH key on the host (ServerLogistics) server when I connect. But then when is my SSH key used?

I connected to my webspace on ServerLogistics via Transmit using SFTP today, but I don’t see any changes inside the “known_hosts” file. So how do I know if my newly created SSH Key is being used? And prior to my creating the SSH Key (when I connected via Transmit & SFTP in the past) do I understand correctly that the SSH key used was taken from the host/Serverlogistics server?

Putting it another way, if the entire point of my creating an SSH key is to authenticate with Serverlogistics differently than in the past, how do I go about having Transmit use my newly created SSH key?

offtopic mailing list
email@hidden

offtopic mailing list
email@hidden

In the Terminal…

I typed this:

$ ssh @web3.xfernet.net

Hitting return produced this:

@web3.xfernet.net’s password:

But of course, I’ve not yet spoken to SL about this, nor is my SSH Public Key on their server yet. So I will ask them about it.

(Even so, Freeway doesn’t seem to support this flavor of SFTP communication yet.)

Thank you.

offtopic mailing list
email@hidden