Making sure I have site "bundled" right for hosting

I am getting ready to transfer my site to a hosting company but want to make sure I avoid a problem i have with the images.

I pulled several images off a DVD and every time I pop that DVD out of my computer, sure enough I get the “resources cannot be found” message when look at my page in Preview. I thought i had moved all the images to the folder where I have everything else for my site. but every time i get a warning note, I go back to the DVD, move the image to the site folder, and edit the resources to point to the graphic. That’s the way to do it, right?

Several questions:

Do I need to put all of my original graphics into a subfolder in my site folder? If so, does that mean I will need to remap all of the graphics on the site so Freeway can find these graphics?

Or…should I just go into the site and make sure all of the imported graphics are marked as “publish” and not worry about the original graphics?

Thanks.


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

When you publish your site, you will need to have the DVD in your drive. Freeway is looking for the files that are on it, and unless it can find them, it will have to resort to using the low-quality proxies of those images that it embedded directly in the Freeway document when you imported the images the first time.

When you publish, the site and everything it needs to run correctly will be gathered together into the Site Folder you have identified in the Output tab of the Document Setup dialog. If you upload the contents of that folder to your server (or much better, use Freeway’s upload tool to do that for you) then you’re done. Even if you saw errors while publishing, there is always going to be a complete site in that folder (quality of individual images will vary, depending on whether the proxies were substituted for the real images).

You definitely don’t want to ever move anything into or out of the Site Folder by yourself. That’s Freeway’s private Idaho, and you mess with it at your peril. If you want the best quality of images, you should find that DVD and put it back into the drive each time you publish the site.

If you want to stop these alerts (at the cost of some of your drive space) you can use the File / Save Archive command to “collect” all of your remote files into one Media folder, and then you won’t need the DVD any more.

Walter


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Sometime around 14/7/09 (at 16:39 -0400) SkipII said:

I go back to the DVD, move the image to the site folder, and edit
the resources to point to the graphic. That’s the way to do it,
right?

NO, no-no-no!!!

Never, ever, ever mess with the Site folder. That is for Freeway’s
use ONLY; that’s where the published elements of your site are built,
and any and everything in there is subject to removal or replacement
by Freeay as part of its publishing process.

Note this logic twist:

  • You put an image into the Site folder.
  • You place that image on a page in Freeway.
  • You publish that page, so Freeway creates its web-optimised
    versions of everything on the page.
  • This process replaces any older items in the Site folder as it goes.
  • The item that was placed on your page has now been deleted,
    replaced by the same-name item Freeway just made. Hey-presto, a new
    missing resource!

If you want somewhere to keep your original source media, use the
Media folder that’s made if you started your site from a template. Or
make one yourself, it doesn’t matter. Just please leave that ‘site’
folder alone! :slight_smile:

k


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Sorry – bad vocabulary again. That is what I meant to say: media folder. Or some subfolder I create in the folder that holds all the other material in the website.

My point was that I need to get the files off the DVD. So, my question still is: should I move all those graphics to some subfolder I create in my web folder – and if I do that, do I have to remap all of the graphics on the site to that folder so they can “see” them before I publish the site…

Or…

Do I “publish the site” now and forget about the source files?


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

should I move all those graphics to some subfolder I create in my web folder

Just to be absolutely certain, that ‘web folder’ has none of your
actual published HTML stuff in there, right? It really isn’t where
Freeway is publishing your site, right?

As long as that’s not happening then all you need to do is store your
graphics however you feel like organising them.

Don’t use the option to disconnect your ‘missing’ resources. That’s
very handy, but only as a last-ditch solution where you really have
lost the originals for some reason. You haven’t, you just need to get
into the habit of storing them correctly.

k


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

I got this thread off track by using the term Site Folder.

My question remains:

Should I move the original graphics to some (Non "Site Folder!) folder that is part of my website folder rather than leave them on he DVD? If I do move them, don’t I have to re-map all of the graphics on the site so they know where to find them before they publish them to the site folder.


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Sometime around 14/7/09 (at 18:26 -0400) SkipII said:

Should I move the original graphics to some (Non "Site Folder!)
folder that is part of my website folder rather than leave them on
he DVD?

Yes.

If I do move them, don’t I have to re-map all of the graphics on the site

Yes, but only once.

k


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

I always do this when I build a web site. I create a folder that will
eventually contain all the FW stuff and any resources I will need. I
copy the graphics and any other stuff I am going to use to a folder
inside this web folder e.g. a folder named MyResources. I do this
before I use them in FW. If the graphics are on a CD, copy them to the
MyResources folder before you place them on a FW web page. Further I
generally decide how large a graphic I will display on the web site
e.g. 800x600 and use Graphic Converter or other tool to scale large
images, say from a digital camera, down to that size before putting
them into the MyResources folder. Why carry around a 2400x1800 picture
if you are not going to show it any larger than 800x600? Now I can put
the web folder, containing the MyResources folder on a CD or thumb
drive or whatever and I have everything needed for the FW web site all
in one place. This uses extra hard drive space by duplicating
pictures, but I have the web site completely contained in one folder.

LLE

On Jul 14, 2009, at 6:26 PM, SkipII wrote:

I got this thread off track by using the term Site Folder.

My question remains:

Should I move the original graphics to some (Non "Site Folder!)
folder that is part of my website folder rather than leave them on
he DVD? If I do move them, don’t I have to re-map all of the
graphics on the site so they know where to find them before they
publish them to the site folder.


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

I know you like a more visual reference so perhaps this will help.

When you start a new site create these folders but name them anything
you want,

Main Folder = “New site for Skip”
Subfolder = “My media resources”
Subfolder = “the location that freeway uses to create the site but
you don’t put anything into”

Now every picture, video or text file that you want to include in the
site goes into the “Subfolder = “My media resources””
You only use the picture, video or text files that are in the,
“Subfolder = “My media resources”” when you build your web site.
Now when you publish your site Freeway knows where all your files are
so it can re-render them in the full quality that your site deserves.

Hope that helps some.

studiodave

On Jul 14, 2009, at 4:57 PM, LLE Freeway wrote:

I always do this when I build a web site. I create a folder that
will eventually contain all the FW stuff and any resources I will
need. I copy the graphics and any other stuff I am going to use to a
folder inside this web folder e.g. a folder named MyResources. I do
this before I use them in FW. If the graphics are on a CD, copy them
to the MyResources folder before you place them on a FW web page.
Further I generally decide how large a graphic I will display on the
web site e.g. 800x600 and use Graphic Converter or other tool to
scale large images, say from a digital camera, down to that size
before putting them into the MyResources folder. Why carry around a
2400x1800 picture if you are not going to show it any larger than
800x600? Now I can put the web folder, containing the MyResources
folder on a CD or thumb drive or whatever and I have everything
needed for the FW web site all in one place. This uses extra hard
drive space by duplicating pictures, but I have the web site
completely contained in one folder.

LLE

On Jul 14, 2009, at 6:26 PM, SkipII wrote:

I got this thread off track by using the term Site Folder.

My question remains:

Should I move the original graphics to some (Non "Site Folder!)
folder that is part of my website folder rather than leave them on
he DVD? If I do move them, don’t I have to re-map all of the
graphics on the site so they know where to find them before they
publish them to the site folder.


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Sometime around 14/7/09 (at 19:57 -0400) LLE Freeway said:

I always do this when I build a web site. I create a folder that
will eventually contain all the FW stuff and any resources I will
need. I copy the graphics and any other stuff I am going to use to a
folder inside this web folder e.g. a folder named MyResources. I do
this before I use them in FW. If the graphics are on a CD, copy them
to the MyResources folder before you place them on a FW web page.

Very good practise: exactly the right kind of approach.

All I’d mention, in case anyone gets confused, is that the
“MyResources” folder doesn’t have to be given this ‘web-safe’ kind of
name. That folder and the items it contains will never themselves go
near the final web site - name it whatever you like. Freeway wil
generate fresh, web-optimised items from whatever’s in your Freeway
layouts, put the results of that into the “Site Folder” (that it
manages all by itself), and upload things from there.

By keeping your own folder for your original graphics etc. within a
folder that contains everything else as well - the Freeway document,
the Site Folder, and whatever else might go along with your work for
this project - it is simple to back up and archive, move to a
different machine, etc. Exactly as you say.

k


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Thanks. That was what I needed.

On 14 Jul 2009, 10:38 pm, thatkeith wrote:

Sometime around 14/7/09 (at 18:26 -0400) SkipII said:

Should I move the original graphics to some (Non "Site Folder!)
folder that is part of my website folder rather than leave them on
he DVD?

Yes.

If I do move them, don’t I have to re-map all of the graphics on the site

Yes, but only once.

k


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options