Managing XWay’s generated files

HI,
One thing I have come across in the past has been that the structure of the website has to follow certain standards - design agencies may do this, or even some clients. A typical example would be:
• images in a folder names “/images”
• scripts in a folder names “/scripts”
etc.

Right now, we can”t do this in Freeway, but would would be great of XWay could allow us to specify what happens to files. Do they all go in Resources, do they get shunted into specially named folders? Renaming Resources to something else too.

All the best,

Paul Dunning

web design - http://www.pauldunning.com

freeway actions - http://www.actionsworld.com

Yep that would be nice

in Freeway, you can make the folders up eg scripts images and you can with the help of actions create the script files and have them in those folders but anything freeway makes eg its own js file gets lobbed into Resources

I have in the past changed Resources to lowercase resources via the creating a folder name within the site panel and using lowercase and I think Tim had an action that actually changed the resource folder name completly and I am assuming all the references associated with the Resources folder, but it would be much nicer if Freeway/Xways could do What Paul is suggesting

max

Hi Paul,

Thanks for this - I’ve logged it as a suggestion.

Currently, output resources all go into “resources"

Jeremy

On 14 Nov 2019, at 09:19, Paul Dunning email@hidden wrote:

HI,
One thing I have come across in the past has been that the structure of the website has to follow certain standards - design agencies may do this, or even some clients. A typical example would be:
• images in a folder names “/images”
• scripts in a folder names “/scripts”
etc.

Right now, we can”t do this in Freeway, but would would be great of XWay could allow us to specify what happens to files. Do they all go in Resources, do they get shunted into specially named folders? Renaming Resources to something else too.

All the best,
Paul Dunning
web design - http://www.pauldunning.com
freeway actions - http://www.actionsworld.com

Hi Max,

I have in the past changed Resources to lowercase resources

Xway uses lowercase “resources”

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy yep I had already seen that… always nice to see thats automatic now

max

On Thu, Nov 14, 2019 at 10:30 AM, Jeremy Hughes wrote:

Currently, output resources all go into “resources"

Hi Jeremy,

I’ve noticed that whilst playing with the beta, that “All” resources go into one resource folder even if you have a web page that is in a separate folder in the Site Folder.
In Freeway you can have a folder structure so the pics etc. used on the web pages, go into their own resources folder.

For example, in Freeway I have an images folder which has all the products images, grouped by product range on separate html pages. I link to those images in that folder with mysql/php on the product range pages. This makes it easy to see what has been uploaded and the link to the folder is always the same.

The structure is like this in Freeway: Site Folder > images folder > pages of images to size.
On the web server: Website > images folder > Resources folder

Will it be possible in the future to have separate resources folders for web pages that are in their own folder in Xway.

Keep up the good work, Xway is promising to be a worthy successor to Freeway.

Steve.

Hi Steve,

For example, in Freeway I have an images folder which has all the products images, grouped by product range on separate html pages. I link to those images in that folder with mysql/php on the product range pages. This makes it easy to see what has been uploaded and the link to the folder is always the same.

The link isn’t always the same. Freeway doesn’t guarantee that resources for pages that are in a subfolder will always be in subfolder/Resources (when Separate Resource Folders is selected). For example, if the same (output) resource is used by pages in different folders, Freeway will copy it into one of the resource folders and will always access it from there. Which folder is used depends on various factors - mainly which page is published first.

Will it be possible in the future to have separate resources folders for web pages that are in their own folder in Xway.

It might be possible, but we may also want to find a better way of doing this (e.g. allow users to define their own resource folders and specify which resources are in which folder).

Keep up the good work, Xway is promising to be a worthy successor to Freeway.

Thanks!

Jeremy

On Thu, Nov 14, 2019 at 03:22 PM, Jeremy Hughes wrote:

The link isn’t always the same. Freeway doesn’t guarantee that resources for pages that are in a subfolder will always be in subfolder/Resources (when Separate Resource Folders is selected). For example, if the same (output) resource is used by pages in different folders, Freeway will copy it into one of the resource folders and will always access it from there. Which folder is used depends on various factors - mainly which page is published first.

Hi Jeremy,

I take your point that if an image is used in more than one place and if it exactly the same size etc, then Freeway would only link to one instance of that image.

My use is a bit more specific; the site I maintain has a lot of jpegs (1,149 and counting) that are used to illustrate the products available on the website. These are served to the page that the customer selects by mysql and php, each of the images has to be a specific size to fit into the image space on the web page. For that end I created a specific folder (images) with a page for each product range (17pages at the moment) to contain all their images. In this case all the images get placed in the images > Resources folder and can be linked to easily with mysql/php.

I probably stretched the boundaries of what Freeway can do, but with a little bit of planning it’s surprising what you can achieve. I hope the same will go for Xway.

My hope is that in time Xway will allow me to rebuild the site in a similar way to how it is now, but with better control over the responsive nature of the site, and more control over css styling etc.

Regards,
Steve.

I’ve build similar contraptions in Freeway in the past, and one of the tricks I have used in order to ensure a predictable “pot of images” that my scripts can access blindly is to simply make a separate Freeway document that publishes into my /images folder. That document is not commingled with the rest of the site, all it does is publish those images. So my script looks in /images/Resources and there’s only the one folder ever to worry about.

Walter

On Nov 14, 2019, at 11:49 AM, Steve email@hidden wrote:

Hi Jeremy,

I take your point that if an image is used in more than one place and if it exactly the same size etc, then Freeway would only link to one instance of that image.

My use is a bit more specific; the site I maintain has a lot of jpegs (1,149 and counting) that are used to illustrate the products available on the website. These are served to the page that the customer selects by mysql and php, each of the images has to be a specific size to fit into the image space on the web page. For that end I created a specific folder (images) with a page for each product range (17pages at the moment) to contain all their images. In this case all the images get placed in the images > Resources folder and can be linked to easily with mysql/php.

I probably stretched the boundaries of what Freeway can do, but with a little bit of planning it’s surprising what you can achieve. I hope the same will go for Xway.

My hope is that in time Xway will allow me to rebuild the site in a similar way to how it is now, but with better control over the responsive nature of the site, and more control over css styling etc.

Regards,
Steve.

Hi Steve,

I understand that, and I agree that this is a reason for having multiple resource folders. We’d like to improve on how Freeway does this.

We have some other things we need to do first, but this is something that we’ve started thinking about.

Jeremy

On 14 Nov 2019, at 16:49, Steve email@hidden wrote:

Hi Jeremy,

Regards,
Steve.

On 14 Nov 2019, at 10:31, Jeremy Hughes wrote:

Hi Max,

I have in the past changed Resources to lowercase resources

Xway uses lowercase “resources”

Jeremy

The default for HFS+ and APFS is that they are case-insensitive.
‘Resources’ = ‘resources’ = ‘RESOURCES’.

David

The default for HFS+ and APFS is that they are case-insensitive. ‘Resources’ = ‘resources’ = ‘RESOURCES’.

That’s true, but most web servers are case-sensitive - so it does matter.

Jeremy

On 14 Nov 2019, at 20:18, Jeremy Hughes wrote:

The default for HFS+ and APFS is that they are case-insensitive.
‘Resources’ = ‘resources’ = ‘RESOURCES’.

That’s true, but most web servers are case-sensitive - so it does
matter.

Jeremy

If you’re still doing a normal (secure) FTP from Mac to server you
can’t FTP to ‘resources’ and ‘Resources’. You would have to do
some fiddle like “server-side ‘resources’ comes from Mac
‘resources’, but server-side ‘Resources’ comes from Mac
‘_resources’. Not easy to explain to users.

David.

My images just aren’t showing up. I see the image in the resource file but I have to manually go into the index file and ad the full link why doesn’t this happen when I publish in Xway?

Billy

Are the images placed on the page in Xway, or are you expecting them to be uploaded separately and engage with a script or similar?

AFAIK, images placed on the page are always uploaded. I am not sure about any “sidecar” images or other resources, although I do believe that is something that may be planned. Freeway had that ability through Actions.

Walter

They are on my page in Xway. I publish it and then I upload the index file to my server. Everything shows up except the image. When I look at the link to it in the index file it leaves out the " src" location as to where it can be found.

Billy

Hi Billy,

If the images are there when you preview locally (either in a browser or by switching to Xway’s Web view), then something is going wrong with the upload process. You need to upload everything that is in the Site folder (including the resources). There are some instructions on how to do this with Cyberduck in the Xway User Guide (page 23).

We are planning to add a built-in Upload command in a future version of Xway.