Messed up for uploading

I’ve been working on my site with the project sitting in a folder on my desktop. I decided to move it to my documents folder. I figured that maybe FW wouldn’t be able to find it when I opened from Open Recent in the file menu but would ask me. As it turned out, the project did open. So I did some work on a page and then, when it was finished, I tried to upload it to http://web.me.com/martinrice1

I promptly got an error dialog box that said:

Items remaining: 42
progress bar under that and then under the progress bar
Mounting martinrice1 and under that
Cannot complete upload because file not found

So I didn’t understand how it could have opened the project to let me work on it after I moved it but couldn’t find something for the upload.

Then I thought that maybe what I need to do would be to select Open . . . instead of selecting the Open Recent choice from the file menu. When I did that and got the open file dialog pane, I navigated to the project folder and clicked Open. What that did was open the folder within the open file dialog pane. But everything in the folder was dimmed and I couldn’t select anything. Not that I really knew what to select, but I thought the project file might make sense. But as I said, it was dimmed.

So my position now seems to be that I can work on the project’s pages but can’t upload.

Can anyone offer any suggestions as to what I need to do?

Thanks,
Martin

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

I thought I’d move the folder back to the desktop from the documents folder. Now what happens is that when I try to upload instead of getting the upload dialog as detailed below, I get a normal dialogue box with the caution sign and the message “Could not complete your request because file not found.” Unfortunately no indication of what file can’t be found.

Any help appreciated.

Martin

On Jan 1, 2011, at 4:03 PM, Martin Rice wrote:

I’ve been working on my site with the project sitting in a folder on my desktop. I decided to move it to my documents folder. I figured that maybe FW wouldn’t be able to find it when I opened from Open Recent in the file menu but would ask me. As it turned out, the project did open. So I did some work on a page and then, when it was finished, I tried to upload it to http://web.me.com/martinrice1

I promptly got an error dialog box that said:

Items remaining: 42
progress bar under that and then under the progress bar
Mounting martinrice1 and under that
Cannot complete upload because file not found

So I didn’t understand how it could have opened the project to let me work on it after I moved it but couldn’t find something for the upload.

Then I thought that maybe what I need to do would be to select Open . . . instead of selecting the Open Recent choice from the file menu. When I did that and got the open file dialog pane, I navigated to the project folder and clicked Open. What that did was open the folder within the open file dialog pane. But everything in the folder was dimmed and I couldn’t select anything. Not that I really knew what to select, but I thought the project file might make sense. But as I said, it was dimmed.

So my position now seems to be that I can work on the project’s pages but can’t upload.

Can anyone offer any suggestions as to what I need to do?

Thanks,
Martin

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hi Martin

Are you using FW’s built in upload facility for this? And presumably to a mobile me account.

Firstly what you should do is organise all your FW and associated files into one place.

If you used one of FW’s own staring points then it would have created the following file structure for you.

A your website folder

Inside that a yourwebsite.freeway document, yourwebsite.fwbackup, Media folder and a Site Folder.

The site folder contains all the files that will be copied/uploaded to the server.

Select yourwebsite.freeway document and open it with FW. Once you have it open then Go to the Edit Menu>Resources. The dialogue box that opens will give the status of all the Pics etc that you have used in the file. If you have any that have a status of missing then select the file and use the Edit button down the bottom right to locate the missing file. Do that for all missing files. It is a good idea if you know what images you have used in your pages that you copy them to the Media folder that FW created for you within your Website folder.

If you didnt use any of FW’s starting points then it is a good idea to create that Media folder alongside your FW doc and its site folder (all enclosed in a Project folder ‘my website’)

Once you have ‘found’ your missing pics then Publish your site (or just Preview all your pages) to update the contents of the Site Folder.

Once you have done all that then you should be able to upload normally.

D

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hi, David:

Thanks so much for taking the time to outline all of this for me. I learned a lot from it.

Yes, I was using FW’s built-in upload facility and it was to a mobile me account.

As it turns out, after I checked the the organization of all the FW files and checked the resources, everything seemed to be organized correctly and there wasn’t any file missing. I was at a complete loss after spending a lot of time doing this. And everything showed correctly in the browser running off my hard drive – there was no trouble in publishing there, only when I tried to upload.

The only thing I was then able to think of was that maybe the error message didn’t really reflect what was wrong (I was thinking desperately) and that maybe I had somehow messed up the login information for my mobile me site. I reentered it all and still no joy.

So I decided to try to upload it to another domain I had with a different hosting service. And . . . everything uploaded perfectly with no errors and the site showed perfectly online in the browser.

Seems very strange to me, and I still want to try and figure out why I can’t upload to the mobile me site. But at least I can get the site uploaded so that my friend for whom I’m doing the site can review it. Ultimately we’ll be switching to a different host anyway (have-host.com, which you recommended).

While checking the organizational structure, I did wonder about something. What’s the difference between the contents of Resources Folder in the Sites Folder and what you see when you choose Edit Menu > Resources? In the Edit Menu > Resources, all I saw was all the jpg’s I have in the Media folder while in the Sites Folder > Resources Folder there were some gif’s that go on the pages plus jpg’s.

At any rate, thanks again for your help.

Martin,
Signal Mountain, TN

On Jan 1, 2011, at 7:56 PM, DeltaDave wrote:

Hi Martin

Are you using FW’s built in upload facility for this? And presumably to a mobile me account.

Firstly what you should do is organise all your FW and associated files into one place.

If you used one of FW’s own staring points then it would have created the following file structure for you.

A your website folder

Inside that a yourwebsite.freeway document, yourwebsite.fwbackup, Media folder and a Site Folder.

The site folder contains all the files that will be copied/uploaded to the server.

Select yourwebsite.freeway document and open it with FW. Once you have it open then Go to the Edit Menu>Resources. The dialogue box that opens will give the status of all the Pics etc that you have used in the file. If you have any that have a status of missing then select the file and use the Edit button down the bottom right to locate the missing file. Do that for all missing files. It is a good idea if you know what images you have used in your pages that you copy them to the Media folder that FW created for you within your Website folder.

If you didnt use any of FW’s starting points then it is a good idea to create that Media folder alongside your FW doc and its site folder (all enclosed in a Project folder ‘my website’)

Once you have ‘found’ your missing pics then Publish your site (or just Preview all your pages) to update the contents of the Site Folder.

Once you have done all that then you should be able to upload normally.

D

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Edit Resources - actually refers to the original files which you import into FW, which are processed by FW and subsequently spat out again into the Site Folder/Resources repository.

For the sake of argument you should think of these original files as your ‘Media’ and stored in the Media folder so you know where they all are. That Media folder - for the sake of good housekeeping - should have subfolders. I usually have Text, Images, Audio, Word Docs etc. and when a client supplies them to me then that is where they go.

This file management ensures that all your files for one ‘Project’ are contained within the Project folder with all the others inside. So if you need to copy/backup/move your Project you only have one containing folder to move and not masses of files scattered about your HD.

It is also worth noting that the FW created Resources folder (within the Site Folder) is managed by FW itself and should be treated as a NO GO area - unless you know what you are doing. It is NOT a repository for your odds and ends - leave it alone on pain of DEATH or worse! And do not import files from within it into your FW doc.

I could add more on that subject but suffice it to say at this stage you can just ignore it.

David

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Thanks, David. I think I’ve got it. Appreciate the information.

Martin

On Jan 2, 2011, at 3:31 PM, DeltaDave wrote:

Edit Resources - actually refers to the original files which you import into FW, which are processed by FW and subsequently spat out again into the Site Folder/Resources repository.

For the sake of argument you should think of these original files as your ‘Media’ and stored in the Media folder so you know where they all are. That Media folder - for the sake of good housekeeping - should have subfolders. I usually have Text, Images, Audio, Word Docs etc. and when a client supplies them to me then that is where they go.

This file management ensures that all your files for one ‘Project’ are contained within the Project folder with all the others inside. So if you need to copy/backup/move your Project you only have one containing folder to move and not masses of files scattered about your HD.

It is also worth noting that the FW created Resources folder (within the Site Folder) is managed by FW itself and should be treated as a NO GO area - unless you know what you are doing. It is NOT a repository for your odds and ends - leave it alone on pain of DEATH or worse! And do not import files from within it into your FW doc.

I could add more on that subject but suffice it to say at this stage you can just ignore it.

David

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden