Multiple page PDF as image

I frequently have clients prepare material for posting on their website as Word documents. I then convert the document to a PDF and insert it on the web page as an image. This serves to preserve their formatting and allows their document to be online exactly as they have prepared it. While the text is not search engine friendly, the technique is however cost effective. This works great with single page documents. I’m wondering if anyone has any techniques to accomplish the same thing with multiple page documents.

Thanks,

Jacob


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

On 26 May 2008, at 13:00, jcichy wrote:

I frequently have clients prepare material for posting on their
website as Word documents. I then convert the document to a PDF and
insert it on the web page as an image. This serves to preserve
their formatting and allows their document to be online exactly as
they have prepared it. While the text is not search engine
friendly, the technique is however cost effective. This works great
with single page documents. I’m wondering if anyone has any
techniques to accomplish the same thing with multiple page documents.

Given that OS X, using the ‘Print’ dialog, will happily make multi-
page PDFs of any document that has them, it should work just as well.

best wishes

Paul Bradforth

http://www.paulbradforth.com


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Getting a multiple page PDF is not the problem. When a multiple page PDF file is brought into a graphic box, the first page will show as an image. When it’s brought into an HTML box, and this is weird, it shows as a scrollable Adobe Reader box. See this here:
http://www.rmem.org/untitled1.html
I’m looking for options, if there are any, of displaying multiple page PDF’s as images of the multiple pages as individual images.

Thanks,
Jacob

On May 26, 2008, at 7:26 AM, Paul Bradforth wrote:

On 26 May 2008, at 13:00, jcichy wrote:

I frequently have clients prepare material for posting on their
website as Word documents. I then convert the document to a PDF and
insert it on the web page as an image. This serves to preserve
their formatting and allows their document to be online exactly as
they have prepared it. While the text is not search engine
friendly, the technique is however cost effective. This works great
with single page documents. I’m wondering if anyone has any
techniques to accomplish the same thing with multiple page documents.

Given that OS X, using the ‘Print’ dialog, will happily make multi-
page PDFs of any document that has them, it should work just as well.

best wishes

Paul Bradforth

http://www.paulbradforth.com


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

On 26 May 2008, at 18:44, Jacob Cichy wrote:

Getting a multiple page PDF is not the problem. When a multiple
page PDF file is brought into a graphic box, the first page will
show as an image. When it’s brought into an HTML box, and this is
weird, it shows as a scrollable Adobe Reader box. See this here:
http://www.rmem.org/untitled1.html
I’m looking for options, if there are any, of displaying multiple
page PDF’s as images of the multiple pages as individual images.

Sorry, I don’t quite understand that last sentence … had a look at
your site and see what you mean though. Oh, and a quick heads-up: you
have a button on the left for FAQs with an apostrophe in the word; it
shouldn’t be there. (The apostrophe, I mean :slight_smile:

best wishes

Paul Bradforth

http://www.paulbradforth.com


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

On May 26, 2008, at 11:09 AM, Paul Bradforth wrote:

http://www.rmem.org/untitled1.html

have a button on the left for FAQs with an apostrophe in the word; it
shouldn’t be there. (The apostrophe, I mean :slight_smile:

The apostrophe is grammatically correct, although not standard on the
internet.

Another example: the 1960’s.

Jim


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

I’m looking for options, if there are any, of displaying multiple
page PDF’s as images of the multiple pages as individual images.

Why not save out the first page of your multi-page pdf document and use that as a graphic button to link to the full pdf document in a new window?


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Sometime around 26/5/08 (at 11:16 -0700) James F. Marshall said:

The apostrophe is grammatically correct, although not standard on the
internet.

Another example: the 1960’s.

Actually, neither is grammatically correct. Sorry, but however common
it may be online and off - and it is VERY common - it just ain’t
right! (Trust me, I’m a professional editor, author, and senior
lecturer in publishing. I’m even currently writing this while taking
a break from proof-reading a manuscript for a major international
book publisher. :slight_smile:

Anyway, more importantly, I believe what you were asking about was
how to use different pages of a multi-page PDF as different graphics
within Freeway.

Unfortunately, while Freeway will happily use PDFs as a graphics
import format, there’s no way to choose which page you get; you will
always get the first one. I suggest screengrabbing the desired pages
while viewing the PDF in Preview or Acrobat, or exporting the pages
individually from Acrobat Pro.

Sorry - I’d like the option to choose a particular page too! Perhaps
that should be sent in to Softpress as a feature request.

k


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

How do you get the full PDF to come up in a browser window?

Thanks,
Jacob

On May 26, 2008, at 1:23 PM, chuckamuck wrote:

I’m looking for options, if there are any, of displaying multiple
page PDF’s as images of the multiple pages as individual images.

Why not save out the first page of your multi-page pdf document and use that as a graphic button to link to the full pdf document in a new window?


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

On 26 May 2008, at 19:16, James F. Marshall wrote:

The apostrophe is grammatically correct, although not standard on the
internet.

Another example: the 1960’s.

”The 1960’s“ could be used correctly in a sentence, for example: ‘The
1960’s effect on politics was extraordinary’ as the apostrophe is
used to show possession, that is, ‘the effect belonging to the
1960s’. But plurals do not have apostrophes and FAQs in this case was
meant to denote more than one FAQ, which is a plural, and does not
have an apostrophe. Although I believe the Chicago Tribune style book
or some such thing says it’s optional.

best wishes

Paul Bradforth

http://www.paulbradforth.com


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Sometime around 26/5/08 (at 20:11 +0100) Paul Bradforth said:

I believe the Chicago Tribune style book
or some such thing says it’s optional.

No more than I’d expect from Chicago, too… :slight_smile:

k

(Note: it may well be a declared option in the style guide for the
Chicago Tribune, but that’s entirely up to that outfit - and doesn’t
change what’s correct and what’s not.)


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

[Laughing] Hey, what’s with the Chicago crack? You mean the Trib isn’t the definitive authority? Shocking.

; )

Todd
(in Chicago)

On May 26, 2008, at 2:36 PM, Keith Martin wrote:

No more than I’d expect from Chicago, too… :slight_smile:

k

(Note: it may well be a declared option in the style guide for the

Chicago Tribune, but that’s entirely up to that outfit - and doesn’t

change what’s correct and what’s not.)

On May 26, 2008, at 11:39 AM, Keith Martin wrote:

I’m even currently writing this while taking
a break from proof-reading a manuscript for a major international
book publisher. :slight_smile:

Approval for using an apostrophe in a plural, rather than possessive,
sense extends beyond one yank rag and includes substantial authorities
in the old world, too.

http://www.learnenglish.org.uk/grammar/archive/apostrophes01.html

Or has Oxford ceased to be an authority on the English language?

Jim


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

On 26 May 2008, at 23:28, James F. Marshall wrote:

Approval for using an apostrophe in a plural, rather than possessive,
sense extends beyond one yank rag and includes substantial authorities
in the old world, too.

http://www.learnenglish.org.uk/grammar/archive/apostrophes01.html

Or has Oxford ceased to be an authority on the English language?

Well with respect, in this link they didn’t exactly come down on one
side or the other, did they? Seemed to be quite a lot of ‘some people
say’ and ‘other authorities say’ etc. I guess if it’s OK to write
‘1990’s’ then it’s OK for my local greengrocer to write ‘Cabbage’s’.

best wishes

Paul Bradforth

http://www.paulbradforth.com


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

How do you get the full PDF to come up in a browser window?

A simple file link should be all that’s necessary, but you want to target a new window for it to open in. There actually is a nice little item action that handles this for you. Graphic Link To PDF is it’s name under the Item menu. Acrobat/Reader plugin will do the hard lifting automatically.


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Hi James - I mentioned that because I believe in providing
credentials when necessary to establish credibility. I don’t BS, and
I’m open to learning. I’m sorry it came across differently.

As for the source you provided, that is interesting. I also
strongly suspect it is also regarded as non-authorative; despite the
‘Oxford’ tag that is an area that’s known to have certain clear
rules.

The title quoted in that URL isn’t the Oxford English Dictionary, it
is something called “Practical English Usage”, written by an
individual, and published (along with many, many other titles) by the
OUP. The divide between official, editorial-sanctioned rules and one
writer’s opinion aren’t always reconcilable, but they do get
published anyway. Forgive me for bringing it up again, but I’ve
learned this time and time again through my experience in the book
and magazine publishing industry.

If there is a clear authoratative directive regarding using
apostrophes in those circumstances, I also suspect that it is a
relatively modern amendment. Not that modern is bad, but in language
development it is wise to move in baby steps to avoid too much
thrashing about.

k

Sometime around 26/5/08 (at 15:28 -0700) James F. Marshall said:

On May 26, 2008, at 11:39 AM, Keith Martin wrote:

I’m even currently writing this while taking
a break from proof-reading a manuscript for a major international
book publisher. :slight_smile:

Approval for using an apostrophe in a plural, rather than possessive,
sense extends beyond one yank rag and includes substantial authorities
in the old world, too.

http://www.learnenglish.org.uk/grammar/archive/apostrophes01.html

Or has Oxford ceased to be an authority on the English language?

Jim


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Thanks.
Jacob

On May 26, 2008, at 5:55 PM, chuckamuck wrote:

How do you get the full PDF to come up in a browser window?

A simple file link should be all that’s necessary, but you want to target a new window for it to open in. There actually is a nice little item action that handles this for you. Graphic Link To PDF is it’s name under the Item menu. Acrobat/Reader plugin will do the hard lifting automatically.


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

To quote from the previously posted URL http://www.learnenglish.org.uk/grammar/archive/apostrophes01.html

Some sources (e.g. Practical English Usage, Michael Swan, Oxford University Press, 1997) indicate that we can use apostrophes if we want to make a plural form of a noun that does not normally have one:

I think the key here is: plural form of a noun that does not normally have one:

As the Q refers to question which clearly has a plural - questions - then I think that the use of an apostrophe in FAQ’s is obviously wrong.

And I must add that, like Keith, I cannot see why it would ever be acceptable to use an apostrophe when denoting a plural.

My pet hates are PC’s and CD’s

David


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

On May 26, 2008, at 4:44 PM, DeltaDave wrote:

As the Q refers to question which clearly has a plural - questions -
then I think that the use of an apostrophe in FAQ’s is obviously
wrong.

The Q stands for questions, which is already plural and, therefore,
does not ordinarily have an iterated plural form. On this reasoning,
it would be appropriate to use the apostrophe. However, after further
investigation, I have changed my mind and agree that the simple s,
without apostrophe, is the proper way to pluralize an acronym. The
definitive authority has spoken by example:

http://www.oed.com/services/

Look to the right under “Help,” for “FAQs.”

Jim :wink:


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Sometime around 26/5/08 (at 18:00 -0700) James F. Marshall said:

Look to the right under “Help,” for “FAQs.”

LOL! Well spotted. :slight_smile:
Now all we need to do is point that Michael Swan at this link and all
will be well…

Anyway, I still like the trick that Jacob found, importing a PDF as
an embedded object in a web page layout, as he showed
here:http://www.rmem.org/untitled1.html (The method: “When it’s
brought into an HTML box, and this is weird, it shows as a scrollable
Adobe Reader box”.)

It is certainly weird, and very interesting. Does anyone know whether
this works across different platforms on all modern browsers? I
presume it requires the Adobe PDF plugin…

k


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

On 27 May 2008, at 00:44, DeltaDave wrote:

My pet hates are PC’s and CD’s

My pet hate is stuff like: ‘Video’s, CD’s, DVD’s and Computers’. Why
don’t they (erroneously) stick one in ‘Computers’ as well? When
people put apostrophes in the wrong places, why don’t they put them
in ALL the wrong places, and how do they choose which ones to put
them in?

best wishes

Paul Bradforth

http://www.paulbradforth.com


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options