Not even to newbie status-help

Hi all- I am still struggling and felt like throwing my keyboard through the wall today. I tried to use the Intaglio online help and just got no such address…I tried to do what seemed logical…I tried to do …HECK anything- and no luck-- I have used Freehand for so long everything seems intuitive (but obviously only to FH- got so used to the kittlke knife to cut out segments and thought the scissors would not the same then-- NOPE) and now I cannot get anything done. it was really irritating when delete did NOT. I was trying something I thought was SUPER simple to try out some tools. Nothing worked. I located a simple image online and imported it to a blank page- then just tried to “trace” it. I am used to pulling out bezier handles and making the traced image match closely after a rough trial;- nope. Then I needed a partial circle around rhe base of a hat- tried to draw it-nope…tried to make an oval and cut it- nope- couldn’t get anything to work. Tried to locate tutorials nope. I have about had it. I have been away from this for a few weeks- it took me a week to figure out how to consistently open a new file with no grid and get the right increments- so i thought i was ready to try a simple image- it was to be a wizard hat-just outline nothing more and nope- couldnt do anything- any one have suggestions on where to get the baby steps-- yes, I can now open a new file but cannot do anything beyond that. I read about the tools but following the directions did NOT do what the directions said they would. Help?

Intaglio mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Intaglio is laid out differently from Freehand. You just have to work out the differences, where everything is and master a few basics. It’s all (or mostly) explained in the Help. To access it:

1. In Intaglio, select the Help menu and choose ‘Intaglio Help’.
  2. Under the Topics, select ‘Drawing with Intaglio’.
  3. Scroll down the page until you find ‘Using the Path tool’. This includes a basic tutorial for drawing a triangular path.
  4. Select the Path tool (press the ‘P’ key) and follow the procedure.

Creating/modifying curves is similar to in Freehand. The main difference is that Intaglio has 2 separate selection tools (Freehand has one).

Delete did not work.

The Delete key works here. The Backspace key also deletes items.
Check that the objects are selected, either with the Selection tool (S key), or the Point Selection Tool (X key). Then hit Delete or Backspace.

…knife to cut out segments
…a partial circle around the base of a hat- nope
…tried to make an oval and cut it- nope

The scissors tool works here.

An alternative way of cutting shapes is to use path operations:

Draw an oblong box (or an oval or the desired shape), position it on top of the oval and go to Object>Paths>Subtract. This method is similar to Freehand’s Punch feature.

Intaglio mailing list
email@hidden

I´d say main difference is that Freehand don´t drop the tool after using it like Intaglio does. Draw a rectangle and Intaglio snaps back to its Selection-tool (S) which lets you move&scale the object. To do further editing you need the Point-selection-tool (X) which lets you select points and move them or with alt-key editing curves. But when in edit mode you can´t delete an object - just selected points - so hit “S” again and then backspace.
While the scissor opens the path it won´t make it a new object like in Freehand - you have to go “Object->Path->Separate”.
To adjust “Grid” go “Layout-> Set Grid” and check “Use Grid Settings In New Documents” for example.

Intaglio mailing list
email@hidden

Sheryl- If you put up a link to the image you were trying to trace, I can make a quick video for you (time permitting), showing how to trace it. I got some great help when I first started, so I’d like to send some back.

Of all the vector apps I’ve used (aside from Illustrator which does everything and the kitchen sink), Intaglio is by far the easiest I’ve used.

I have 4 vector apps now, and Intaglio is where I go when I need production work done.

Bryan

Intaglio mailing list
email@hidden