Odd permissions problem

Long story stort, I got hosed on some advice with AppleCare and been having all sorts of permissions, access, privileges. So I’ve been having to re-log into files and folders though we should have made a global change.

This is the error I keep getting whenever I now click the browser button in Freeway Pro 6 to see my new web work:

Could not generate the HTML file “YB-San-Jose.html” because a file is in use. Check you have write permission to your export folder and that the file is not open in another application.

This can happen when Freeway Pro is essentially the only application opened, right after a restart! I’ve never seen all the different permissions errors that I’ve been getting, but I’ve been able to track them down and fix them.

But I have no idea how to track this one down and AppleCare doesn’t either. What is the “export folder” that Freeway Pro is saying is the problem. I can not find an “export folder” that would belong to it. The Site Folder doesn’t seem to be the “export folder”.

Secondly, what file what be in use where this has been a constant problem. I am no longer able to get anything done in Freeway Pro and it really isn’t Freeway’s fault, but yet Apple can not figure out what the error message is saying.

Can someone please help?

TIA,

Robert

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

I am not sure if any of the following will help but…

The permissions issues you tracked down and fixed, did you do this by running Disc Utility? if not then maybe you should run ‘Repair permissions’ with that.

Do you have more than one account on the computer and are you using the ‘admin’ account or a different account that wahat was used to create the site before? I have never had problems with this myself as I just have an admin account but you never know and that is why I mention it!

Have you tried changing the name of ‘YB-San-Jose.html’ to say ‘YB-SanJose.html’ or similar then delete ‘YB-San-Jose.html’ manually before publishing.

Have you tried deleting the ‘Site folder’ and then republishing the site?

HTH

On May 5, 2013, at 4:59 AM, Rgator wrote:

Long story stort, I got hosed on some advice with AppleCare and been having all sorts of permissions, access, privileges. So I’ve been having to re-log into files and folders though we should have made a global change.

This is the error I keep getting whenever I now click the browser button in Freeway Pro 6 to see my new web work:

Could not generate the HTML file “YB-San-Jose.html” because a file is in use. Check you have write permission to your export folder and that the file is not open in another application.

This can happen when Freeway Pro is essentially the only application opened, right after a restart! I’ve never seen all the different permissions errors that I’ve been getting, but I’ve been able to track them down and fix them.

But I have no idea how to track this one down and AppleCare doesn’t either. What is the “export folder” that Freeway Pro is saying is the problem. I can not find an “export folder” that would belong to it. The Site Folder doesn’t seem to be the “export folder”.

Secondly, what file what be in use where this has been a constant problem. I am no longer able to get anything done in Freeway Pro and it really isn’t Freeway’s fault, but yet Apple can not figure out what the error message is saying.

Can someone please help?

TIA,

Robert

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I would second deleting the entire Site Folder, create a new folder in Finder, and then set that as your new Site Folder in the Document Setup dialog. None of the site contents will be lost if you have followed the normal Freeway layout workflow – all your original art is saved somewhere outside of the site folder, and referenced within your Freeway document layout. If for some reason you were referencing elements that were inside the Resources folder for that particular site, then I could imagine you having all manner of issues, some of which might scan as permissions errors.

Walter

On May 5, 2013, at 4:52 AM, Mike B wrote:

I am not sure if any of the following will help but…

The permissions issues you tracked down and fixed, did you do this by running Disc Utility? if not then maybe you should run ‘Repair permissions’ with that.

Do you have more than one account on the computer and are you using the ‘admin’ account or a different account that wahat was used to create the site before? I have never had problems with this myself as I just have an admin account but you never know and that is why I mention it!

Have you tried changing the name of ‘YB-San-Jose.html’ to say ‘YB-SanJose.html’ or similar then delete ‘YB-San-Jose.html’ manually before publishing.

Have you tried deleting the ‘Site folder’ and then republishing the site?

HTH

On May 5, 2013, at 4:59 AM, Rgator wrote:

Can someone please help?

TIA,

Robert

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Thanks for the responses!

The main part of the problem is due to my new Mac acting so oddly that even AppleCare has not figured it out after more than a week of working with this for me. I literally have thousands upon thousands of files and folders on my internal drive and external drives that do not see me as the user and I have to manually change each one! We’ve not been able to get it done globally yet!

This has been a complete nightmare! A 30 second Photoshop edit can end up being ten minutes dealing with getting all the privileges corrected. But I am able to find the folders and files. With this Freeway situation, I can not upload or check my work with the ”turn into HTML browser button on Freeway” and instead get the error that it can not find the “export folder”. I’m still trying to figure out what is the export folder.

In a few minutes after I have done the disk repairs and everything to my 15 drives, I will try making a new “site” to see what happens.

It has been very difficult to get any work done lately!

Thanks,

Robert

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Ok! Good news! By using good backups from SuperDuper and by using a very good tool called TinkerTool System 2, I was able to correct both problems I have been posting about.

Something totally hosed a migration from my old Mac to my new one and the deep down permissions and ownerships got blown across the board where I had far more than one million files and folders that I was blocked out from on my internal and 15 external drives!

For the amount of drives and files, this program got everything straightened out but my Time Machine Drive.

AppleCare is still at a lost as to how I can get all my permissions and ownership corrected and will be getting back with me today. So they will be surprised that I was able to figure out and fix what they could not.

Secondly, I was able to use a good SuperDuper backup and then trashed the old Site Folder and got Freeway to rebuild a new one that now works for me!

Yea!

Thanks!

Robert

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Good utility software: TinkerTool System Release 2: Description

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I’ve run into this problem several times. I know the solution – I just don’t know the permanent solution.

If you choose File / Document Info / General Details, you’ll see a line for “Site Folder.” In my case (and maybe in yours, too), it’s /Library/Web Server/Documents – the Mac’s own main website folder – because when I (long ago) set up Freeway Pro, I wanted it to export the website directly there so I could browse to [localhost] and test out the site (including all its server-side processing) before uploading it publicly.

Since I first set Freeway up, way back in Jaguar, or Tiger, or whenever, OS X has grown increasingly niffy about its prerogatives and accesses on things in system folders. Every time I upgrade a system, it resets many if not all changes I may have made in there. As a result, I regularly lose access to this folder, and the next time I run Freeway Pro, I get that message.

In effect, the message is misleading – the problem is not that there is a “file in use,” it’s that the user doesn’t have write access to that file. So number one, that ought to be changed. (Are you reading this, Softpress?)

The remaining problem is that although I distinctly (?) remember “cleverly” setting up that export folder location myself, I can no longer find a way in the current version of Freeway Pro to alter it. I can see what it is, using the method from my first paragraph, but I 'd like to permanently change it to somewhere else precisely to avoid this problem in the future, and I can’t find any control to do so. I can’t even find “export” in the “Using Freeway” help manual.

Hope this helps out the next poor luser who gets this confusing message.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Mac OS X uses Apache for its internal “web sharing”, and time was, this was a well exposed and documented tool. But recent versions of the OS have started to edge away from this, to the point where it’s increasingly hard to make the server parts of it work the way they used to do.

First thing I would do is set a new site folder. To do this, open File / Document Setup. On the first pane, mid-way down, you will see a button labeled Site Folder. Click it, and choose a new path to a new folder. Put it somewhere in your regular Documents folder, maybe, called “my_site” or anything else that doesn’t have spaces in it. Next time you publish, all of your files will be put there. The original ones will still be where they are now, in the Library/WebServer/Documents folder. So the next trick you can do is make a symlink (a Unix Alias) from your new site folder to the old server repo. That symlink will carry the permissions of whatever it points at, and since that original folder is in your Documents folder and you created it in Finder, you will be able to save files into it.

On to the symlink. You will need to open Terminal.app, which is in Applications/Utilities. Your user account must be an “admin” account, able to administer the computer, since you will be using the sudo command to become the almighty root user for the duration of each command.

You need to determine a few things first. In Terminal, type the following command, followed by pressing the Return key:

whoami

On my Mac, this returns waltd. Note whatever it says for you, and substitute that for [username] wherever you see it in the following commands.

Type the following lines, each followed by a Return. After the first line that begins with sudo, you will be prompted for your password. This is your Mac account password, and you should only be asked once, unless you pause for a long time between commands.

cd /Library/WebServer
sudo mv Documents Documents.backup
sudo ln -s /Users/[username]/Documents/my_site Documents
sudo apachectl configtest

If the last line says “Syntax OK”, then you can type the last command:

sudo apachectl graceful

to restart the server. Your new site documents should now be available in the system Apache at localhost.

Obviously, if you didn’t name that folder my_site, change that at the same time you are changing [username] to whatever your Unix short-name is.

Walter

On Apr 29, 2016, at 10:36 PM, macsrwe email@hidden wrote:

I’ve run into this problem several times. I know the solution – I just don’t know the permanent solution.

If you choose File / Document Info / General Details, you’ll see a line for “Site Folder.” In my case (and maybe in yours, too), it’s /Library/Web Server/Documents – the Mac’s own main website folder – because when I (long ago) set up Freeway Pro, I wanted it to export the website directly there so I could browse to [localhost] and test out the site (including all its server-side processing) before uploading it publicly.

Since I first set Freeway up, way back in Jaguar, or Tiger, or whenever, OS X has grown increasingly niffy about its prerogatives and accesses on things in system folders. Every time I upgrade a system, it resets many if not all changes I may have made in there. As a result, I regularly lose access to this folder, and the next time I run Freeway Pro, I get that message.

In effect, the message is misleading – the problem is not that there is a “file in use,” it’s that the user doesn’t have write access to that file. So number one, that ought to be changed. (Are you reading this, Softpress?)

The remaining problem is that although I distinctly (?) remember “cleverly” setting up that export folder location myself, I can no longer find a way in the current version of Freeway Pro to alter it. I can see what it is, using the method from my first paragraph, but I 'd like to permanently change it to somewhere else precisely to avoid this problem in the future, and I can’t find any control to do so. I can’t even find “export” in the “Using Freeway” help manual.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

Thank you for giving me a pointer to the Site Folder button. I looked through that pane twice previously, and absolutely never saw it. It’s wicked easy to overlook.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Or you can browse to http://localhost/~username where 'username is as Walter described. If Apache on the Mac is still configured the way it was at 10.1 then that will be the ‘Sites’ folder in your Home folder. The ~/Sites folder was part of the new user creation tree at least up to 10.6.

You then create a folder for each website you do within ~/Sites and follow Walters instructions to make FW put each FW site folder in the right place. Then each FW project (and non-FW project if you wish) is entirely within its own folder (as long as you use project-local media files etc.) and you can browse to http://localhost/~username/project1 etc.

Some people use MAMP for all this, but everything you need is included within OSX; it just needs a config file change to make PHP work, and install mySQL to get a full CMS website running.

David

On 30 Apr 2016, at 04:10, Walter Lee Davis wrote:

Mac OS X uses Apache for its internal “web sharing”, and time was, this was a well exposed and documented tool. But recent versions of the OS have started to edge away from this, to the point where it’s increasingly hard to make the server parts of it work the way they used to do.

First thing I would do is set a new site folder. To do this, open File / Document Setup. On the first pane, mid-way down, you will see a button labeled Site Folder. Click it, and choose a new path to a new folder. Put it somewhere in your regular Documents folder, maybe, called “my_site” or anything else that doesn’t have spaces in it. Next time you publish, all of your files will be put there. The original ones will still be where they are now, in the Library/WebServer/Documents folder. So the next trick you can do is make a symlink (a Unix Alias) from your new site folder to the old server repo. That symlink will carry the permissions of whatever it points at, and since that original folder is in your Documents folder and you created it in Finder, you will be able to save files into it.

On to the symlink. You will need to open Terminal.app, which is in Applications/Utilities. Your user account must be an “admin” account, able to administer the computer, since you will be using the sudo command to become the almighty root user for the duration of each command.

You need to determine a few things first. In Terminal, type the following command, followed by pressing the Return key:

whoami

On my Mac, this returns waltd. Note whatever it says for you, and substitute that for [username] wherever you see it in the following commands.

Type the following lines, each followed by a Return. After the first line that begins with sudo, you will be prompted for your password. This is your Mac account password, and you should only be asked once, unless you pause for a long time between commands.

cd /Library/WebServer

sudo apachectl graceful

to restart the server. Your new site documents should now be available in the system Apache at localhost.

Obviously, if you didn’t name that folder my_site, change that at the same time you are changing [username] to whatever your Unix short-name is.

Walter

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

This used to work, but the Apache module that governs user-directory sharing was commented out in the main httpd.conf file many versions ago. You could re-enable it, but there’s no guarantee those changes would survive the next update.

Walter

On Apr 30, 2016, at 5:32 AM, David Ledger email@hidden wrote:

Or you can browse to http://localhost/~username where 'username is as Walter described. If Apache on the Mac is still configured the way it was at 10.1 then that will be the ‘Sites’ folder in your Home folder. The ~/Sites folder was part of the new user creation tree at least up to 10.6.

You then create a folder for each website you do within ~/Sites and follow Walters instructions to make FW put each FW site folder in the right place. Then each FW project (and non-FW project if you wish) is entirely within its own folder (as long as you use project-local media files etc.) and you can browse to http://localhost/~username/project1 etc.

Some people use MAMP for all this, but everything you need is included within OSX; it just needs a config file change to make PHP work, and install mySQL to get a full CMS website running.

David

On 30 Apr 2016, at 04:10, Walter Lee Davis wrote:

whoami

cd /Library/WebServer

sudo apachectl graceful

Walter

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden