Perch 2

So having an image upload system that lets you ‘browse’ your local machine is vital.

Well Pulse certainly does - can’t speak for the others.

David


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

So having an image upload system that lets you ‘browse’ your local machine is vital.

Well Pulse certainly does - can’t speak for the others.

As does Perch and Mojomotor.

Todd
http://xiiro.com


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

As does Perch and Mojomotor.

And WebYep too!

D


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Well Pulse certainly does - can’t speak for the others.

The image capabilities of Pulse despite it being one of the cheapest cms is by far the best imho, I think Perch does likewise. Pulse (ckeditor component perhaps) allows for a border if you wish and also horizontal and vertical padding, so many cms do not allow for this ie. mojomotor does everything except allow for a horiz and/or vert margin or a border - crazy.

Its a bugbear of mine also and I think it mad for it not to be part of cms. Clients are much more savvy these days with regards image use.

s


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

With perch you style the template however you want that takes care of any visual requirements - style once and forget.

Nathan Garner
Senior Designer

+44 (0)1202 597 140
email@hidden
http://www.rla.co.uk

Sent from my iPhone

On 7 Jun 2012, at 22:46, “seoras” email@hidden wrote:

Well Pulse certainly does - can’t speak for the others.

The image capabilities of Pulse despite it being one of the cheapest cms is by far the best imho, I think Perch does likewise. Pulse (ckeditor component perhaps) allows for a border if you wish and also horizontal and vertical padding, so many cms do not allow for this ie. mojomotor does everything except allow for a horiz and/or vert margin or a border - crazy.

Its a bugbear of mine also and I think it mad for it not to be part of cms. Clients are much more savvy these days with regards image use.

s


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options
RLA - INDISPENSABLE IN WHAT WE DO
part of the mission
RLA is a trading name of RLA Group Ltd
Registered in England no: 3679160
If this email has found you by mistake, please do not share or reproduce any of its contents as they may be confidential or contain material subject to copyright. Instead let us know and delete the email immediately. This email does not necessarily represent the views of the RLA Group. Please consider the environment before printing.


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

I think this is showing that pulse and perch are big favourites. Correct me if I’m wrong, perch allows you to do more, but has a steeper learning curve.

Nathan Garner
Senior Designer

+44 (0)1202 597 140
email@hidden
http://www.rla.co.uk

Sent from my iPhone

On 8 Jun 2012, at 01:23, “Nathan.Garner” email@hidden wrote:

With perch you style the template however you want that takes care of any visual requirements - style once and forget.

Nathan Garner
Senior Designer

+44 (0)1202 597 140
email@hidden
http://www.rla.co.uk

Sent from my iPhone

On 7 Jun 2012, at 22:46, “seoras” email@hidden wrote:

Well Pulse certainly does - can’t speak for the others.

The image capabilities of Pulse despite it being one of the cheapest cms is by far the best imho, I think Perch does likewise. Pulse (ckeditor component perhaps) allows for a border if you wish and also horizontal and vertical padding, so many cms do not allow for this ie. mojomotor does everything except allow for a horiz and/or vert margin or a border - crazy.

Its a bugbear of mine also and I think it mad for it not to be part of cms. Clients are much more savvy these days with regards image use.

s


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options
RLA - INDISPENSABLE IN WHAT WE DO
part of the mission
RLA is a trading name of RLA Group Ltd
Registered in England no: 3679160
If this email has found you by mistake, please do not share or reproduce any of its contents as they may be confidential or contain material subject to copyright. Instead let us know and delete the email immediately. This email does not necessarily represent the views of the RLA Group. Please consider the environment before printing.


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Todd

Could you name a specific area that is editable by one user and that area just happens to be only on a specific page?

David

On 7 Jun 2012, at 16:55, Todd wrote:

Can you elect users to edit individual specific pages? Or just regions site wide?

At the moment, it’s just site wide but it’s something I’m going to suggest since I was hoping for that myself. I don’t know how difficult it would be to implement at this stage of development though.

Todd


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

On 7 Jun 2012, 9:40 pm, DeltaDave wrote:

As does Perch and Mojomotor.

And WebYep too!

D

Really?.. admit I only looked at their demo, but I saw an URL field not a ‘browse’ function in the popup?..


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Hi Nathan,

I think this is showing that pulse and perch are big favourites. Correct me if I’m wrong, perch allows you to do more, but has a steeper learning curve.

With all the cms available I don’t know why that seems to be the case, I’m sure there are plenty other capable cms out there. Perhaps its the ease of Pulse and Perch integration into and alongside Freeway. Not forgetting WebYep of course.

Pulse is perfect principally for small simple sites, though capable of large also if the structure and requirements are straight forward. After all it just requires the placement of a line of code that equates to a text/image area into the div you wish to be cms.
Perch does offer a lot more. A bit more to deal with and their tutorials and methodology are slightly more involved. Their tutorials do challenge the non (freeway) coder, it would be great if they acknowledged Freeway and did some tutorials that addressed a potentially large market.

s


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

On 8 Jun 2012, 8:52 am, seoras wrote:

Perch does offer a lot more.

s

What exactly is the ‘more’ it offers?..


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Todd

Could you name a specific area that is editable by one user and that area just happens to be only on a specific page?

Yes.

I asked/suggested this yesterday on the beta list and Drew (the dev) said that it’s possible on a region-by-region basis to assign a specific “role”, i.e., Everyone, Admin, Editor to as many or as few areas as needed. And since you can also create new user roles, e.g., “David”, with their own privilege settings, they can be assigned to only specific regions. So in effect it now does what you’ve been waiting for, and to a fairly fine degree. I clearly missed that option earlier.

Here’s a screenshot http://www.xiiro.com/screenshots/Perch2_Regions.tiff

Todd


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Probably going to step on people’s toes here but after looking and testing, Perch, Pulse, Webyep, miniCMS, and a shed load of others, the actual differences in the way they actually operate from each other is surprisingly small.
All of the ones mentioned, i think, apart a from minicms, use a 3rd party rich text editor and most of them use TinyMCE or CKeditor and as such you can expand or restrict the amount of functionality, so if you wanted a proper image/file manger system then all you need is to buy the plugin and install it.

WebYep does have its own file manger for their own image and gallery items and yes, it too can use a rich text editor like Tinymce and Ckeditor and like the others it’s expandable. The real difference is how easy is it to integrate the code that these editors require to work into freeway and in how each application presents itself to the user.

WebYep prefers, when unlocked, to show the webpage with editable icons which you click on to reveal the editable panel. Most of the others choose to present the user with an admin section that does not look like the page you were on… so its down to personal choice. Personally I chose to write actions for WebYep over and above the others, because its approach was the closets to how freeway works. Its almost as if it was originally designed to work with a compiler like freeway rather than an editor, so for that reason alone it made absolute sense to port WebYep so it integrated with Freeway… but I know others prefer other systems and it is down to personal choice.

Kind Regards
Max


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Max

One other thing, WebYep has a plain (short) text field. This alone can give you great power to make mini apps using this CMS. Pop this field into a global or page php variable and with a little creativity you can do all sorts with this. Granted on a small scale.

No I’m not sure how many of the other small CMS’s can go this route.

David

On 10 Jun 2012, at 10:27, “max” email@hidden wrote:

but I know others prefer other systems and it is down to personal choice.


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Hi David
Yes that’s one advantage thats often overlooked over quite a few of the other cms’s.
The short text item can be used within different parts of the html construction and not just within the body, and so has a great potential for expanding the amount of uses WebYep can be used for.
An example of this is the webyep SEO action and the not yet released WebYep Facebook actions

max


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

A new beta and a new UI http://www.xiiro.com/screenshots/perchUI.jpg.

Familiar yet different.

Todd
http://xiiro.com


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Looking good!

I’ve been having a play with the original beta.

Do you know which apps currently work with v2?

Nathan Garner
Senior Designer

+44 (0)1202 597 140
email@hidden
http://www.rla.co.uk

Sent from my iPhone

On 24 Jun 2012, at 15:59, “Todd” email@hidden wrote:

A new beta and a new UI http://www.xiiro.com/screenshots/perchUI.jpg.

Familiar yet different.

Todd
http://xiiro.com


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options
RLA - INDISPENSABLE IN WHAT WE DO
part of the mission
RLA is a trading name of RLA Group Ltd
Registered in England no: 3679160
If this email has found you by mistake, please do not share or reproduce any of its contents as they may be confidential or contain material subject to copyright. Instead let us know and delete the email immediately. This email does not necessarily represent the views of the RLA Group. Please consider the environment before printing.


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

If you’re using beta 2 then none of the v1 apps will work. I think beta 3 (current) now supports Perch 1 apps. I’ll have to check.

Todd
http://xiiro.com

Do you know which apps currently work with v2?


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options