[Pro] 100% table width

I’m creating an email newsletter template and ideally want to create a table that is 100% in width and then centre a cell inside this.

I’m thinking this is not possible in Freeway. Or could you prove me wrong?

David


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Hello. Im new in this, and trying with newsletters now. I couldnt find the option you say, because is usefull for newsletters.

Perhaps you can answer a question for me: can you use div in newsletters?

Best regards


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

If you use a div HTML box (with the CSS layer button off) it will create a table in the code.

I’ve been hand coding email newsletters so I’m testing how freeway would get on with the job to quicken the process.

Is there a trick to getting a table 100% wide in freeway?

David

On 17 Aug 2011, at 20:38, “rakeljuice” email@hidden wrote:

Hello. Im new in this, and trying with newsletters now. I couldnt find the option you say, because is usefull for newsletters.

Perhaps you can answer a question for me: can you use div in newsletters?

Best regards


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

If it’s an inline table, you can force it to 100% width using the
Extended dialog. Make sure the Table tab is highlighted, press New,
and then enter

  • Name: style
  • Value: width:100%;

Since this wipes out the entire CSS style for the table, anything else
you have set, like background-color or the like, will also be removed,
and you’ll have to re-add those as inline styles inside the Value
field, separated from one another with semicolons.

You may also try my RemoveDimensions Action, but beware – I haven’t
worked on this since I uploaded it in 2009, your mileage may vary.

Walter

On Aug 17, 2011, at 4:03 PM, David Owen wrote:

Is there a trick to getting a table 100% wide in freeway?


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Hi Walter

I’m needing the table 100% of the page width. I’m thinking Freeway won’t allow that in table based layout.

Is that right?

David

On 17 Aug 2011, at 21:13, Walter Lee Davis email@hidden wrote:

If it’s an inline table,


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

If your page is not set to align anything, then a table page should be
able to flex to 100% width. Just make sure that all of the elements
(or at least one element across the entire width of the page) is set
to Width Can Grow in the Inspector. Otherwise, tables do tend to
collapse to the width of their largest element.

Walter

On Aug 17, 2011, at 5:04 PM, David Owen wrote:

Hi Walter

I’m needing the table 100% of the page width. I’m thinking Freeway
won’t allow that in table based layout.

Is that right?

David

On 17 Aug 2011, at 21:13, Walter Lee Davis email@hidden wrote:

If it’s an inline table,


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Of course that’s it. Thanks

David

On 17 Aug 2011, at 22:13, Walter Lee Davis email@hidden wrote:

Width Can Grow


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Interestingly using “width can grow” creates a table 100% of the page width. But is only extend a table to a maximin of 1536 pixels wide a browser gets very wide. (Granted no email newsletter will be viewed anywhere near this width).

Does anyone know why this is so?

On 17 Aug 2011, at 22:13, Walter Lee Davis wrote:

Width Can Grow in the Inspector


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

On 17 Aug 2011, 8:03 pm, David Owen wrote:

If you use a div HTML box (with the CSS layer button off) it will create a table in the code.

I’ve been hand coding email newsletters so I’m testing how freeway would get on with the job to quicken the process.

Hello. Is the same with me. Ive always made really simple newsletters, and if I need items over others, I used jpg in a table and that is all I complicated. With Freeway I tried to guess how I could simplify the process.

Ive tried with div. And the results at the moment: it works in my mail server, in Outlook Express, but not in gmail.

In the last one, all the items are in other order, like with no sense.

I think for newsletters is better not to use layers/div. Isnt it?

Interestingly using “width can grow” creates a table 100% of the page width

I tried this yesterday but I didnt managed to make it works in that way…


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

You can use a HTML boxe (div) with the (big blue) CSS button off. Then Freeway will convert everything to tables for you. Anything you place on the page with the CSS button off Freeway should just do all the table wizardry for you. Then use the Freeway “Create Email” action and make sure you create absolute URL’s when publishing.

Saved a lot of time preparing this newsletter…

http://www.ineedwebhosting.co.uk/newsletters/18-august-2011.html

A question ~ this newsletter needed a footer to stretch 100% width, if you make the browser extra wide the footer only extends to 1536 pixels where it ceases to centre to the page. Try it.

Why is this? Browser limitations?

David

On 18 Aug 2011, at 12:20, rakeljuice wrote:

I think for newsletters is better not to use layers/div. Isnt it?


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

You can use a HTML boxe (div) with the (big blue) CSS button off. Then Freeway will convert everything to tables for you. Anything you place on the page with the CSS button off Freeway should just do all the table wizardry for you.

It doesnt work… Steps: I have a blank page. Insert an HTML item 800x800. In it, I insert a graphic item 800x200 to import a jpg 800x200. Below the graphic item, and inside the html item (using the others 600px), anything I insert is “out of range and will be not published.” And the program show it with a blue cross.

A question ~ this newsletter needed a footer to stretch 100% width, if you make the browser extra wide the footer only extends to 1536 pixels where it ceases to centre to the page. Try it.

Why is this? Browser limitations?

What I can say is that I see sama as you. It stops growing and the page is blue after the size 1536. In different browsers.


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Could you post a link to an example document?

Walter

On Aug 18, 2011, at 6:39 AM, David Owen wrote:

Interestingly using “width can grow” creates a table 100% of the
page width. But is only extend a table to a maximin of 1536 pixels
wide


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

No, if you tweak the HTML so that the main outer-most table (the one
that Freeway draws for you) has a width of 100%, then the page scales
to fit any window. No idea how to get Freeway to do that, except with
an Action. If you add hand-written style to a page that you process
with the Email Action, does it get moved into the correct spot in your
code? Because this should do it:

body > table { width: 100% !important; }

Not sure how that would fare with any of the dodgier mail readers,
though. That’s a CSS3 or 2.1 (can’t remember) trick where you only
select tables that are direct children of the body – should only be
the one main layout table. It would probably be safest to hand-edit
the HTML to add the width attribute to the table’s CSS.

Walter

On Aug 18, 2011, at 8:11 AM, David Owen wrote:

A question ~ this newsletter needed a footer to stretch 100% width,
if you make the browser extra wide the footer only extends to 1536
pixels where it ceases to centre to the page. Try it.


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Hi Walter

I did. here it is again… http://www.ineedwebhosting.co.uk/newsletters/18-august-2011.html

David

On 18 Aug 2011, at 13:59, Walter Lee Davis wrote:

Could you post a link to an example document?

Walter

On Aug 18, 2011, at 6:39 AM, David Owen wrote:

Interestingly using “width can grow” creates a table 100% of the page width. But is only extend a table to a maximin of 1536 pixels wide


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Hello again. What I did and it finally worked is: Draw an html item. Inside the html item, I draw graphic items for anything (images, jpg, gif, text…) I want to superpose others. And as html item if a want to put a text that could be copied/paste. This html item cant be over any other item.

What happens with that is that freeway create a complete image for all the graphic items I made, and in other it put the text as html text.

Is this the way supposed to do this?

They works in gmail aswell. Hurra!!

Thanks again.

PS: Im writing in this post because I started here, but if you want i can open a new one.


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

bad writting…

Hello again. What I did and it finally worked is: Draw an html item. Inside the html item, I draw graphic items for anything (images, jpg, gif, text…) I want to superpose others. And as html item if a want to put a text that could be copied/paste. This html item cant be over any other item.

What happens with that is that freeway create a complete image for all the graphic items I made, and in other td it put the text as html text.

Is this the way supposed to do this?

They works in gmail aswell. Hurra!!

Thanks again.

PS: Im writing in this post because I started here, but if you want i can open a new one.


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Here’s what I see:

and here’s what you need to change it to (last line is the key):

Walter

On Aug 18, 2011, at 9:33 AM, David Owen wrote:

Hi Walter

I did. here it is again… http://www.ineedwebhosting.co.uk/newsletters/18-august-2011.html

David

On 18 Aug 2011, at 13:59, Walter Lee Davis wrote:

Could you post a link to an example document?

Walter

On Aug 18, 2011, at 6:39 AM, David Owen wrote:

Interestingly using “width can grow” creates a table 100% of the
page width. But is only extend a table to a maximin of 1536
pixels wide


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Refresh this page a couple times – I just caught a mistake in my second Gist, I had the width: bit outside of the style attribute.

Walter


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

got it, thanks

David

On 18 Aug 2011, at 15:02, waltd wrote:

Refresh this page a couple times – I just caught a mistake in my second Gist, I had the width: bit outside of the style attribute.

Walter


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options