[Pro] 600 Page brochure site

Thomas,

I suppose it all depends on who it adding the website content. If the designer is in charge of CMS templates he might only create 5-6 templates for the whole site and the product pages perhaps even one templates.

It would not make sense to pay a designer say £300+ a day just adding CMS content for 600 pages. Cheaper labour would be needed.

On a side note I’ve alway found a CMS far quicker to add lots of content than Freeway.

David Owen

On 11 Jun 2015, at 10:02, Thomas Kimmich email@hidden wrote:

Very interesting talk here, so I’d like to throw my hat in the ring.

####I’ve never had a client with such a high page quantity - I wonder why?

Let’s start by my request for proposal (only the HTML part):

The index page (including Menu)

479€

Each following HTML page

79€

Wich will make:

479€ + (79€ x 599) = 47.800 €

Cool - so far. Let’s add Inventory, Research and writing the Outline:

9.900€

And Design, Fonts, Colors

1900€

=========

####€59.600

Makin’ this responsive?

Hmmm - well - I think I do this Free of Charge.

####Believe it or not!

I could even make another ROP - one which could suite much better the client’s needs. But I’m honest - it has to do with a 10-15 pages website, proper SEO and a nice and clever PDF catalogue.

Cheers

Thomas

PS:

Yes - I read Mike Monteiro’s “Design is a Job” and saw several talks of him.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

Thanks everyone for your input and advice.

It’s a really good point about adding the content - whichever method is used to do this (CMS or not).

The design would only be about 2 or 3 different page templates (as others have suggested) but populating would take time and that is a conversation I will have with the client.

On the subject of population, unless I’m missing something, this will still take a long time for someone to do and I’m not sure why a CMS would be much quicker here. I get that content would be loaded via a database but the database would have to have the content first right?

I did think about the idea of a PDF brochure but as David has pointed out, it would not be searchable and SEO-friendly.

I will be having my meeting with the client in the next week or so and I will be in a much better position to move forward after that.

At this stage, I think it will be a toss-up between Walter’s Inlay CMS or Pulse (using some of Tim’s plug-ins and customisations)

Thanks again - I will update this when I settle on a solution.

Mark

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I did think about the idea of a PDF brochure but as David has pointed out, it would not be searchable and SEO-friendly.

And exactly that’s the route I’d going down the way.

A 10-12 page-project, well authored and outlined - included the details by an external or additional file is more worth than a detailed monolith. Only the client itself and its competition will take the time to read (perhaps).

More pages doesn’t make a page necessarily better SEO.

A potential client needs to be attracted - not slayed. Web can be the start of a nice communication which is (except of Amazon) still the best way making business (at least here in the Old world).

Thus spoken, I naturally know nothing about clients profession. But I rarely fail, saying Web is part of marketing-mix (except of as said eCom and Blogs such as CSS-Tricks and upcoming Creative https://creativ.space ).

Do it wise - and flexible! And forget about: “But client said …” - except you are not the designer. If you’re not the designer they just seek for a henchman preparing the next mess. Then charge as much as you can.

Cheers

Thomas

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

Thanks Thomas, I will consider it as, after all, it would be nice to design a PDF brochure.

Having said that, it may be cost-prohibitive (depends on the client’s eventual budget)

Also, a nice big glossy PDF brochure does not work well on a mobile because the content becomes quite difficult to read on a small-screen device.

Thanks

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden