[Pro] Automatically resize page height

This is really a two part question, how can i create a page that automatically resizes the Height depending on the graphics or text on the page? and how can i “pin” an item to the bottom of the page ie Footer?

Thank You

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

There’s two different schools of thought on pinning something to the bottom of the page.

First, there’s pinning it to the bottom of the screen, which is completely easy in a normal Freeway Pro layout.

Select your footer element, set it to Position: Fixed in Window, and then move it to the very bottom of the page. In the Inspector’s positioning and dimensions options, make sure that the bottom is set to 0 and the top is unset (grayed back). You get this by clicking on the bottom arrow icon left of that field in the Inspector, and making sure that the height is set (or at least that the top is unset). These icons left of the fields in the Inspector act like switches for their values, and when the value is grayed out, it’s disabled and not published. So now you’ve pinned the footer to the bottom of the screen. As long as you have also left some empty space in the rest of your page, the footer will always ride over the top of the rest of your page content and stay fixed in the window as the visitor scrolls the (however tall) page.

Next, there’s the footer that always stays at the bottom of all the other content. This is less easy, depending on whether or not the RPL Action will work with your layout.

First, try this: read the Freeway Manual and absorb the directions for the RPL Action. Make sure that your layout is arranged in such a way that the Action can divine what you mean. This means avoiding overlaps and other things that the algorithm finds confusing. Then apply the RPL Action to your page, and preview in a browser. You may need to surgically apply the Remove from RPL Action to individual page elements, depending on your design intent.

If that doesn’t work, try creating a fully inline layout. Draw a large HTML box on a new blank page, and start copying and pasting elements from your absolutely positioned layout into that box as inline elements. Use the Float, Clear, and Margin settings in the Inspector to scoot each inline element into your desired layout. This is less than intuitive, and also wrecks the Master Page experience in current versions of Freeway, so it’s not for everyone. If you already know what your layout is supposed to look like, and you have a sense of what you are doing, you can duplicate almost any static layout in a bulletproof inline layout. The bulletproof term was coined by Dan Cedarholm in his two-book series on Web design. It’s definitely not something you should run out and buy if you plan to stick with Freeway entirely for all your work, but when you’re ready to move on to a more technical approach, it is the first book you should buy.

You will also find reference in this list to the inline layout style under the misnomer of “box model”. Box model absolutely means something in Web design – it refers to the way that the browser calculates measurements for individual elements within your layout – but it doesn’t refer specifically to the technique of creating an inline layout of nested DIV elements.

If all else fails, you can always “party like it’s 1997”, and use a table-based layout. The only thing you won’t be able to do is use overlapping elements, but most layouts can be done that way, and they have the benefit of always “flexing” to suit their contents quite naturally.

Walter

On Apr 21, 2012, at 6:24 AM, ejw wrote:

This is really a two part question, how can i create a page that automatically resizes the Height depending on the graphics or text on the page? and how can i “pin” an item to the bottom of the page ie Footer?

Thank You

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Walter,

Thank You for the comprehensive response, i need to do some more reading i think.

John

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden