[Pro] Breakpoints and scroll bars!

Hi, Can anyone help me with a page size problem. I’ve got five sets of breakpoints, 320 275 414 768 and default. The problem is the phone size pages are allowing the screen to move to the right to the whole of the blank pages where I have items for the tablet and default sizes. The items are all set to non display however the phone size pages are still sensing the full size page (even tho the items are not visible). Is there a way to fix the screen size pages so the bottom scroll bar doesn’t show and ther fore not allowing the scroll over to the right side? The images are showing correctly within the phone screen, it’s just if you left swipe on the page by accident it all moves over to a blank screen. I assumed if the items were set to non display the smaller breakpoints wouldn’t still recognise that area of the page? When you look general website on your phone the scroll is only up and down? Hope this makes sense!

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

On one such page, try changing the (Inspector: output tab: mobile section) Width setting from Automatic to Device Width (or vice-versa) and see what happens. Also make sure you don’t have something – even an empty box – drawn off at that width. It may just be hanging there, forcing the page to be wider than it should be at that breakpoint.

Walter

On Oct 24, 2018, at 5:59 AM, gfel email@hidden wrote:

Hi, Can anyone help me with a page size problem. I’ve got five sets of breakpoints, 320 275 414 768 and default. The problem is the phone size pages are allowing the screen to move to the right to the whole of the blank pages where I have items for the tablet and default sizes. The items are all set to non display however the phone size pages are still sensing the full size page (even tho the items are not visible). Is there a way to fix the screen size pages so the bottom scroll bar doesn’t show and ther fore not allowing the scroll over to the right side? The images are showing correctly within the phone screen, it’s just if you left swipe on the page by accident it all moves over to a blank screen. I assumed if the items were set to non display the smaller breakpoints wouldn’t still recognise that area of the page? When you look general website on your phone the scroll is only up and down? Hope this makes sense!

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

Hi Walter, thank you for the help. I’ve tried the things you suggested however the problem is still the same. The phone sizes pages are double the width they show be. Should this issue be corrected in the internal preview when changing the output tab to device size? I’ve also previewed in browser and then entered the responsive design mode in safari and the pages are still too wide. I’ve not done a proper upload as assumed the problem would show as rectified within freeview? Ive been over every graphic and everything is hidden. Thanks

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hi Walter, By a process of elimination I have figured out the issue is with the carousel 2 action. When I remove it from the default page, the extra page width on the phone size pages disappears (I am not using the action on the smaller phone pages I only have it on the default and tablet size pages… I also realised that I didn’t have the updated setup for the action. I have just adjusted all my carousel panes so they are inline within html boxes as per your instructions on the Actions Forge page, however now my carousel is not working and the issue with the extra page width is back… I have tried making the buttons inline too but this doesn’t work either? Very odd do you have any idea? I have used the carousel action extensively on my whole site, so I really need to solve this problem. Hope you can help me, may thanks in advance.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

The Carousel Action cannot adjust its layout code to different sizes at different breakpoints. It should work fine with a fully inline layout, however. One trick that can help is to stack all the extra “pane” elements above the visible page (on the pasteboard) so that they are no wider than the narrowest breakpoint.

Walter

On Oct 26, 2018, at 6:30 AM, gfel email@hidden wrote:

Hi Walter, By a process of elimination I have figured out the issue is with the carousel 2 action. When I remove it from the default page, the extra page width on the phone size pages disappears (I am not using the action on the smaller phone pages I only have it on the default and tablet size pages… I also realised that I didn’t have the updated setup for the action. I have just adjusted all my carousel panes so they are inline within html boxes as per your instructions on the Actions Forge page, however now my carousel is not working and the issue with the extra page width is back… I have tried making the buttons inline too but this doesn’t work either? Very odd do you have any idea? I have used the carousel action extensively on my whole site, so I really need to solve this problem. Hope you can help me, may thanks in advance.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Should the carousel work ok within the internal freeway preview and preview in browser? I’ve moved the html inline carousel panes off the top of the visible page however this isn’t making the width of the phone pages less? Also the carousel is still not moving? If I remove the main Carousel 2 action from the main html graphic which is still in the centre of the default and tablet pages then the phone pages do display at the correct size.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

One thing that can hamper your ability to make a truly responsive layout with Carousel 2 is that it does not understand or know how to calculate percentage dimensions. Everything has to be done in pixels. I just made a sample document with pixel-sized carousels, and you do have to resize all the panes at all breakpoints, but it does work.

A few things I discovered:

1. Empty HTML panes (nothing but background color) don’t work. Type at least a character of text inside the pane to make it appear.
  2. Set the pixel dimensions of the initial pane (showing where the carousel will appear) as well as all the stacked additional panes above the page.
  3. It is possible to have all the panes inline within the same parent container, and this is actually the best way to make the carousel accessible to people who have disabled JavaScript (the few, the proud, the paranoid). All of the extra panes will disappear when the page first loads.

Walter

On Oct 26, 2018, at 12:17 PM, gfel email@hidden wrote:

Should the carousel work ok within the internal freeway preview and preview in browser? I’ve moved the html inline carousel panes off the top of the visible page however this isn’t making the width of the phone pages less? Also the carousel is still not moving? If I remove the main Carousel 2 action from the main html graphic which is still in the centre of the default and tablet pages then the phone pages do display at the correct size.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hi Walter, I’ve now got the inline carousel working, with the ‘extra’ inline pane images off on the pasteboard. The only frame on the default / tablet is the main carousel 2 action… This presence of this action is still making the phone pages too wide even when set to hidden :((((((

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I’ve sent you an example page off-line.

Walter

On Oct 26, 2018, at 12:51 PM, gfel email@hidden wrote:

Hi Walter, I’ve now got the inline carousel working, with the ‘extra’ inline pane images off on the pasteboard. The only frame on the default / tablet is the main carousel 2 action… This presence of this action is still making the phone pages too wide even when set to hidden :((((((

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I also retract my earlier assertion about empty boxes not working. They do. What had happened is I drew the items on the iPhone size first, not the Default size. That caused empty copies of the items (completely blank, no background) to be created on all other breakpoints. The HTML was there, but there was no CSS to make those items visible, except at the phone size breakpoint.

Walter

On Oct 26, 2018, at 12:55 PM, Walter Lee Davis email@hidden wrote:

I’ve sent you an example page off-line.

Walter

On Oct 26, 2018, at 12:51 PM, gfel email@hidden wrote:

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden