[Pro] Can't change media breakpoint widths

Hi, I’m just constructing my first site in FW 7 (not using Backdraft this time) and all going pretty well apart from one thing.

Having looked at the FW video tutorial, it mentions selecting you media size along the top of the working area and then changing your ‘page’ size in the inspector palette - mine won’t let me!

I have the screen with the red overlay (say 320 for example), nothing selected and I go to the General > Measurements palette and type in 320. For a split second it registers and then jumps back to it’s original dimensions.

Once again, any help greatly appreciated.

Trev

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

Check out this discussion.

Softpress expects to have a fix for this soon.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Check out this discussion:

Softpress is working hard on a fix for the problems described and expect to be able release 7.1.1 soon

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Freeway 7.1.1. has been released for a while already, just download it directly from Softpress’ web site. Freeway’s internal update engine quite often fails here.

Richard

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Thanks Richard - was this a known issue?

Trev

On 9 Aug 2015, at 11:31, Richard van Heukelum email@hidden wrote:

Freeway 7.1.1. has been released for a while already, just download it directly from Softpress’ web site. Freeway’s internal update engine quite often fails here.

Richard

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

It was. Still not sure if it’s solved though. ‘Old’ docs still happen to have this issue sometimes, as if it’s embedded within the doc itself.

Richard

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Still not sure if it’s solved though.

(Thanks, Richard, for pointing out that 7.1.1 is out.)

I think you are right about it not being fully solved.

I was able to fix one of the breakpoints that was giving me trouble, and on the other get rid of all the red X’s that I assume were in the 7.1.1 file contents list panel to the left to indicate where breakpoint issues needed to be addressed, but this did not enable reducing the page width to the breakpoint width.

Has anyone seen any Softpress instructions on how to interpret the red X’s and the red color of the inspector window closing button, and otherwise address the breakpoint issue with the new release?

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Just downloaded and tried it out - still the same problem.

Thanks for the pointer anyway Richard. Looks like I’m going to have to reconstruct using Backdraft for now (or start again from scratch). Shame, as It was all going so smoothly…

Trev

On 9 Aug 2015, at 17:53, Richard van Heukelum email@hidden wrote:

It was. Still not sure if it’s solved though. ‘Old’ docs still happen to have this issue sometimes, as if it’s embedded within the doc itself.

Richard

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hi guys,

We’re still working on this one and will have a better solution for you very soon (in a new build – 7.1.2).

There are ways to get things working right now. The main cause of the issue is long words that are too wide for an item at smaller breakpoints (for example long words in large headings that are wider than 320px). They’ll need to be reduced in size at smaller breakpoints. If not they will cause the item containing the text, and any parent containers (including the page) to resize.

I hope this helps and sorry for the inconvenience. We’ll let you know as soon as the new version is available.

Joe

On 10 Aug 2015, at 09:46, Trevor Reaveley email@hidden wrote:

Thanks for the pointer anyway Richard. Looks like I’m going to have to reconstruct using Backdraft for now (or start again from scratch). Shame, as It was all going so smoothly…

Trev

Richard

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Morning Joe, thanks for clearing that up.
Trev

On 10 Aug 2015, at 10:30, Joe Billings email@hidden wrote:

Hi guys,

We’re still working on this one and will have a better solution for you very soon (in a new build – 7.1.2).

There are ways to get things working right now. The main cause of the issue is long words that are too wide for an item at smaller breakpoints (for example long words in large headings that are wider than 320px). They’ll need to be reduced in size at smaller breakpoints. If not they will cause the item containing the text, and any parent containers (including the page) to resize.

I hope this helps and sorry for the inconvenience. We’ll let you know as soon as the new version is available.

Joe

On 10 Aug 2015, at 09:46, Trevor Reaveley email@hidden wrote:

Trev

Richard

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hi Joe,

ever considered a hyphenating kinda thing in Freeway’s workspace to preventing us from this? I’m doing this for long now (output regarded)!

* {
-moz-hyphens: auto;
-o-hyphens: auto;
-webkit-hyphens: auto;
-ms-hyphens: auto;
hyphens: auto;
}

And what the heck are “long words”? How many types? Why does my stuff work while others won’t?

Could someone start to shed light into this???

Cheers

Thomas

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

And if I’m in theme (and the devs as well):

So happily enough I’m using words under the cut - it’s the only thing I can think of prevented me from this issue? Perhaps - but possibly there is another explanation? Cause it’s weird if you have to do a page for let’s say a:

####Mississippisteamboatcaptain Bob Carter-Smith

Perhaps the key is as often in the construction?

If so, it’s time to introduce a thing I’d like to see in Freeway for longer now:

Box-Sizing: Border-box in Freeway’s workspace. Just for the protocol cause there will be the day when browser-vendors will switch their model as well - and I’m excited what happens then.

And a tipp:

In a strong inflow construction widths are declared by content and not a width on its wrapping item.

Cheers

Thomas

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

For me, this problem shows up in how the page is represented in Freeway, but not how it shows up when viewing through a browser locally or when published. So worth being fixed but not abandoning the 7.1.1 ship. Perhaps your experience has been different?

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Ok folks, due to a small logistical error here at the Towers, the changes that were intended to be included in Freeway 7.1.2 (the things Mentioned earlier in this thread) were actually included in 7.1.1. This means that you should be able to fix these issues with the breakpoint not changing in size straight forwardly right now.

Here’s a KnowledgeBase article that explains why the issue’s happening and the best way to go about fixing it. Fixing responsive layouts - Freeway - Softpress Talk

Cheers,
Joe

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Thx Joe much appreciated the fix on this
Carla

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hey guys, I hope all is well

I know this an old thread and I thought it was solved long ago with the 7.1.1. However, I have the 7.1.4 and have the same problem right now. I’ve tried everything and it doesn’t work. Any ideas?

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

When I go to media type at 414pxl the measurements show 426pxI and I have that red tint over the page and it doesn’t adjust when I try to change it to 414pxl…

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hi Marco,

What this usually means is that something in your design is forcing the width to be greater than 414px.

Things to check include: child widths, child margins, child padding, and text content.

One way to track this down is to duplicate your document, and then try deleting items from the duplicate until you find which one (or ones) is causing the problem.

Jeremy

On 28 Oct 2019, at 16:29, Marcus Do Carmo email@hidden wrote:

When I go to media type at 414pxl the measurements show 426pxI and I have that red tint over the page and it doesn’t adjust when I try to change it to 414pxl…

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hi Jeremy,
thanks for your prompt answer!

I will follow these tips and let you know

Thanks again,
Marcus

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

How about that code suggested by Thomas?

On 10 Aug 2015, 1:21 pm, Thomas Kimmich wrote:

Hi Joe,

ever considered a hyphenating kinda thing in Freeway’s workspace to preventing us from this? I’m doing this for long now (output regarded)!

* {
-moz-hyphens: auto;
-o-hyphens: auto;
-webkit-hyphens: auto;
-ms-hyphens: auto;
hyphens: auto;
}

And what the heck are “long words”? How many types? Why does my stuff work while others won’t?

Could someone start to shed light into this???

Cheers

Thomas

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden