[Pro] CSS versioning to prevent caching problems

Tim and Walter,

I am currently using Walter’s Stylesheets Action, version 2.3 (as per bottom right corner of Actions palette), named “ExternalStyleSheets.fwaction”. I also have “External stylesheets” ENABLED in Document Setup > Output.

QUESTION#1
To use Tim’s “Externalise” Action, I know that I must DISABLE “External stylesheets” in Document Setup. But is “Externalise” compatible with Walter’s “ExternalStyleSheets.fwaction”?

“Step 4” in the Externalise Action allows me to specify only CSS on my local hard drive, but it doesn’t allow me to specify a link to existing CSS files on my web server. In contrast, Walter’s “ExternalStyleSheets.fwaction” DOES let me specify “links” to CSS files on my server, which is why I use it. Those linked CSS files are cached and almost never change and I like them that way. They do not pose the problem I mentioned earlier in this thread.

So is “Externalise” compatible with “ExternalStyleSheets.fwaction”?

Next…

QUESTION#2
I have read the “Externalize.pdf” instructions, but Steps 2 & 4 still confuse me. Step-2 seems to say that I should use Externalise, Publish, then find all the generated CSS files (generated by the Externalise Action), and then combine them into a single file (if I wish). But Step-4 seems to say I can add other CSS files, which I assume means I should add my hand-crafted “consolidated” CSS file here? If so, what of the other CSS files that the Externalise Action generated? I’m confused what happens here.

Lastly…

QUESTION#3
It seems that the only way to use Externalise is to apply the Action individually to every single page in the site, and then laboriously change Action’s palette settings on every single page. On a huge site, this is a huge amount of work. Is this really what we must do?

Thank you in advice for your time in answering the above questions.

Sincerely,

James Wages

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at: