[Pro] E-mag Creator-like Action Possible?

I found this over the weekend in a web mag and thought it was pretty cool and we might have a use for it.

http://www.emagcreator.com/

Then I looked them up on the web and found it to be prohibitively expensive!

Is there a way that might be possible for on the of the FW geniuses to come up with an Action that might do something similar?

I know there was something a while back, but the PDF to web functionality would be nice.

Bob


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

I did a demo of flipping pages like this a while back, but it worked
on flat GIF images, didn’t have the cool-o curved page thing or
anything else like that.

To do something like this, and have it searchable, would be a major
piece of work. There’s no question that they are earning their money
for this piece of software.

You could approximate this in the following way: Open your PDF in
something which can convert it to static images (Photoshop does this,
and can process a multi-page PDF into numbered files.)

Download the example file here:

http://scripty.walterdavisstudio.com/flip/

…and figure out how to adapt it to your document. That last part
will be a sheer cliff of JavaScript, but it can be done.

Now that will get you the flipping pages. To search those pages and
find the correct one to show would be another thing altogether. I
wrote a JavaScript search engine last year for the Portable Library of
Liberty, and while it’s not that hard to do, the only downside is that
you have to get all of the search data into the browser. The PLL is
distributed on DVD, and the home page with all of the JavaScript in it
is a couple of megabytes. But that gets you a lightning-fast search
engine that does a live update of search results as you type – once
the whole thing loads into your browser.

http://files.libertyfund.org/pll/pages/search.html

Walter

On Jun 22, 2009, at 11:25 AM, Robert Bovasso wrote:

I found this over the weekend in a web mag and thought it was pretty
cool and we might have a use for it.

http://www.emagcreator.com/

Then I looked them up on the web and found it to be prohibitively
expensive!

Is there a way that might be possible for on the of the FW geniuses
to come up with an Action that might do something similar?

I know there was something a while back, but the PDF to web
functionality would be nice.

Bob


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Yeah, I wasn’t even thinking about the search part yet. I figured that was pretty heavy duty stuff, but I didn’t think the actual “PDF to web” part would be that hard.

I’ll check out what you’ve done. I may have already downloaded it!

Thanks, Walt.

Bob


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

There are several Free page flipping software packages out there…

You could try http://www.FlashPageFlip.com

Its a Free download for the basic set up version and play around with
it to see if its for you.

David Owen :: Freeway Friendly Web hosting and Domains ::

http://www.ineedwebhosting.co.uk :: http://www.ineedwebhosting.co.uk/blog
:: http://www.PrintlineAdvertising.co.uk

On 22 Jun 2009, at 16:25, Robert Bovasso wrote:

Then I looked them up on the web and found it to be prohibitively
expensive!


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

And that gets you Flash, at which point you might as well just post
the PDF. At least that will be searchable and accessible to iPhones.

Walter

On Jun 22, 2009, at 12:04 PM, David Owen wrote:

There are several Free page flipping software packages out there…

You could try http://www.FlashPageFlip.com

Its a Free download for the basic set up version and play around
with it to see if its for you.


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Sometime around 22/6/09 (at 13:37 -0400) Walter Lee Davis said:

And that gets you Flash, at which point you might as well just post
the PDF. At least that will be searchable and accessible to iPhones.

SEO is a good point. And PDFs are viewable on iPhones, unlike Flash content.

Of course, this page-flipping thing (or is it flipping page thing?)
can be extremely useful for some things. It is far better in
marketing terms and as a user experience, iPhones excepted of course.
The interaction experience of looking through one of these is far,
far better than the 2-dimensional, clunky and unconvincing experience
of looking through a PDF.

It also offers a very interesting way to provide a client with a new
kind of virtual proof. Not necessarily proofing for absolute colour
precision, but something that can be made to mimic the experience of
interacting with a publication in a surprisingly effective way.

Mark my words, this stuff will become huge and won’t require
expensive service solutions to do well. A few systems are starting to
offer page thickness controls (changing the ‘feel’ of the page as it
turns), and we should soon see abilities such as varnish and foil
blocking, embossing and die-cut effects, and simulation of
translucency too - if certain software companies get their collective
fingers out and take my dang advice already!

Anyway, that’s a rant for a totally different place and group. What
I’m sayingh is keep your eye on these things. And think carefully
before spending large amounts of money on solutions for this stuff.

k


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Yeah, I was thinking of using it as a sort of proof for our print projects. As you say, Keith, not really a color proof, but the client likes to see their product as close to what it will finally look like as possible.

Plus, we wanted to use it as an online scrapbook of sorts, also.


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Have you seen this http://issuu.com/


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Vanity press redefined. Had to happen eventually. Not that different from blogs other than format…and not as cheap.


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

I understand the issue with iPhones and flash. But flash does have
its place as Keith points out. Flash can enhance a site to a specific
purpose when done well.

Have a go at this site:

http://now.sprint.com/widget/

or this one:

http://www.26000vodka.com/

At some point the iPhone will have to address what happens when it
sees Flash. Or just hope it just goes away. Accessibility works both
ways, the iPhone could be seen as restricting special content and
effects the user might actually want to see, not the other way around.

David

On 22 Jun 2009, at 18:37, Walter Lee Davis wrote:

And that gets you Flash, at which point you might as well just post
the PDF. At least that will be searchable and accessible to iPhones.


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

I understand what you’re saying here. But until the W3C makes Flash a part of HTML, or otherwise levels the playing field such that anyone (not just Adobe) can make a “browser” for it, it will still be “noisy pictures” to me, and nothing that I would willingly use to communicate the core of my message on the Web.

The Web does not need competition (see Silverlight or JavaFX) in this space, it does need an open standard that is not driven by a single vendor (or multiple, incompatible vendors).

SVG is a start, but DHTML and Ajax are driving this train much further and Apple have added canvas to the pot (as open source) along with css animation.

Broader use of non-proprietary standards is the rising tide that raises all ships. Insisting that Adobe have control of a critical portion of the Web is risky at best. Many people do not think this through when they make Web sites that require Flash. It’s not really about Flash per se – but that’s the narrow end of the wedge that could damage or destroy an open, standards-driven environment that is (or could be) truly accessible to all.

We really do need to get our backs behind the drive to an open Web, without allowing any one vendor to raise a gate at the entrance.

Walter


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

trying to make a flip style web mag would be a good choice for pdf showing online.
free flip page converters, like
Codebox: http://www.codebox.com
Issue: http://www.issue.com,
Flipsnack: http://www.flipsnack.com,
are good. For making more professional flipping books, some economical application is recommended, like XFlip http://www.xflip.com/


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

also Yuduhttp://free.yudu.com/

On 27/07/2012, at 6:14 PM, Maggiedon wrote:

trying to make a flip style web mag would be a good choice for pdf showing online.
free flip page converters, like
Codebox: http://www.codebox.com
Issue: http://www.issue.com,
Flipsnack: http://www.flipsnack.com,
are good. For making more professional flipping books, some economical application is recommended, like XFlip http://www.xflip.com/


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

There’s another excellentdigital magazine software - kvisoft flipbook maker pro.It’s a profession type of page flip software to convert your PDF files to page-turning digital publications.

The powerful page editing functions allows you to embed videos, images, audio, hyperlinks, hotspots and more multimedia objects to the output flipping pages.


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Does it require Flash on the visitor end?

Walter

On Oct 12, 2013, at 4:43 AM, kellycalark wrote:

There’s another excellentdigital magazine software - kvisoft flipbook maker pro.It’s a profession type of page flip software to convert your PDF files to page-turning digital publications.

The powerful page editing functions allows you to embed videos, images, audio, hyperlinks, hotspots and more multimedia objects to the output flipping pages.


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

… as far as I can see (from the description) not, but it requires Windows on the developers’ end. Who know what’s better?

Cheers

Thomas


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

3D Issue converts to Flash, HTML5, .epub & .mobi and is available for Windows or MAC.


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

like those ones, this software convert PDF to 3D Flash http://www.pdftoflashconverter.com/


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options