[Pro] Feature Inquiry re. Freeway 8

Walter: Thanks for your reply. Thanks too for your suggestion about Pinegrow, although I suspect it suffers from the same affliction shared by most WYSIWYG website creation tools—namely, they do not generate W3C compliant code that passes validation for Markup and CSS.

I couldn’t find anything about W3C compliance in Pinegrow’s documentation, so I sent a message to their support address asking about it. However, I’m not optimistic. I ran their home page through the W3C Markup validator and it came up with 49 errors and 6 warnings. I would expect a much better showing if Pinegrow actually cared about standards compliance.

The fact that Freeway generates pages that validate is one of the principal reasons that I was initially attracted to it. I thought, “At last! Someone who actually gets it!” But Freeway is an exception. The failure of other WYSIWYG tools to generate code that validates is an epidemic that I have never been able to understand. As Stephen St. Croix once observed,”I do not know why that blindness exists, but I have been forced to recognize that it does.“

I’ve been using an HTML editor called SEEdit Pro to clean up my (non-Freeway) pages (using the Tidy plugin) so they validate. Alas, SEEdit Pro is no longer being developed. It still runs in macOS Sierra, but sooner or later I’ll have to find another tool. Hopefully by then Freeway 8 will be available, and I’ll once again be able to do WYSIWYG design of pages that validate…this time with multiple Undo levels.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at: